Anyone else 'prime' for hi-rez releases?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jagan Seshadri, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

I find myself at the moment relistening to Neil Young's "Harvest" CD to familiarize myself with the album again before I decide to pick up the DVD-A reissue. It's kind of like hearing a 'teaser' of what's to come.
    "Harvest" was the one of the first CDs I bought about 12 years ago, and being a budding guitarist I recalled being amazed at the guitar intro of 'Old Man' and all the vocal harmonies on the album.
    Listening to the album today was a bit of a surprise. My ear has developed so much more since I first listened to the album that I now realize how off-key Neil Young was on some of those songs!! The good thing is I've since mastered how to play 'Old Man' and seem to have acquired a syncopated rhythm guitar playing style that gives away its artistic influence all too easily. [​IMG]
    Priming for a reissue can be fun! And according to Neil Young, we'll finally be able to hear the album (especially the stereo mix) the way it was meant to be heard.
    Who else has been priming?
    -JNS

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jagan, I'm always priming for new high-resolution releases. In anticipation of new titles coming, I do sometimes find myself playing CDs that I have not listened to in quite awhile.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I've done that a couple times, most recently for Miles Davis' Tutu on DVD-A which I just picked up today.

NP: Tchaikovsky 4th Symphony & Stravinksy Rite of Spring, SACD

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, how do you like Tutu on DVD-Audio? I am particularly interested in your thoughts on the stereo track.

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

That's a great idea. I should also listen to the cd version of Harvest before I put on the dvda. I would bet their will be an improvement!
    I'm still waiting for the delivery of Harvest from CC.com.[​IMG]

6. Jagan Seshadri

If the acoustic guitar sound on Harvest is anything like on the Doobie Brothers' DVD-A track "South City Midnight Lady", I'll be loving it! These hi-resolution formats are a gift to musicians.

-JNS

7. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Guys,

I saw a Panasonic Kiosk for DVD-A at Circuit City last night right across from the one for SACD. They also had really impressive prices on the Warner titles. I picked up Buena Vista Social club for 14.99.

Reg

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, those DVD-Audio kiosks are new, and I am very glad to see them. The ones I saw had a Panasonic DVD-RA60 DVD-Audio player (discontinued) connected to a Panasonic multi-channel receiver. I saw this set-up at the Virgin Megastore in Times Square, New York City a week ago Friday and saw another one at a Tower Records in New Jersey on Friday night. So, you saw one at a Circuit City?! That is very cool. I have been hoping forever now that Circuit City stores would finally get some DVD-Audio discs, especially since they have great prices on their web site. It seems like the great prices are carrying over to the stores. Very cool, indeed. [​IMG]

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Keith, Tutu is very cool. A huge improvement over the CD because that album has never been remastered since its original release (I think). So the stereo track here just sounds so much better.

Still haven't listened to the surround track, yet.

NP: Handel's Messiah, DTS CD

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike,

Thanks. I figured the DVD-Audio version of Tutu would crush the CD because, as you said, the CD has not been remastered.

Reggie,

I went to a Circuit City store in New Jersey yesterday, and there was no DVD-Audio kiosk and no discs for sale. Perhaps Circuit City has just started rolling out the kiosks or only has them in select stores. I'll continue to look for them in my area.

11. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

My Circuit City copy of Harvest showed up today and I listened to the 192 khz/24-bit stereo version tonight. Great stuff, it sounds much better than the original. Warm full bassy sound easily picking out sounds that were either muffled or not there before. Hey, that was JT playing 6-string banjo on Old Man, plus three more minutes of 'Words'.

Please bring on After The Gold Rush!

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I've been gearing up lately for Creedence Clearwater Revival on SACD by listening to the 20-bit K2 CDs. The CDs sound great, so I can't wait to hear the SACDs.

13. Jagan Seshadri

John, how's the 5.1 mix?

-JNS

14. MichaelTa

MichaelTa Agent

When looking at the group listings on Harvest there is a group 5 or bonus group that requires a 4 digit code to access it. It lists tracks 1-33 on it as well anyone have any idea what this is? No kiosk at the Circuit City in Salt Lake City but the $14.99 prices on dvd-a can't be beat.

15. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

16. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

The 5.1 mix sounds good, "Old Man" sounds real nice.
    BUT
    The stereo mix is incredible! This is what it's all about. I feel like I am listening to this album for the first time. I have never heard these songs reproduced with the amount of depth, warmth, & imaging like this before.
    Thirty years ago this stuff was mixed with only 2 channels in mind. I think that may still hold true today. This is a must buy.

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Al, I am not a huge Neil Young fan, but you have me intrigued by the Harvest disc. Hopefully a Circuit City store in my area will get it in soon.