Anyone Else Playing DRAKAN: The Ancients Gates On The PS2 And Loving It?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tino, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I picked up Drakan: The Ancients Gates a few weeks ago and am loving it. I haven't heard much about it here, surprisingly.
    You play as the warror Rynn, a Lara Croft type babe, who along with her dragon Arokh battle demons, trolls, monsters, etc..on land and in the air.
    This game is much better than the usual
    fantasy action games with above average graphics, game play, and story. And the game is HUGE with lots of side quests to keep things interesting. Highly Recommended.
    Any one else playig it and agree with me?[​IMG]

2. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

I just started playing, and so far I'm VERY impressed. The graphics are incredible!

Marc.

3. Randy T

Randy T Auditioning

played it, finished it, loved it

very fun game

4. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Come on guys, you mean no one else is playing this great game??
    It just keeps getting better and better. It's huge with a great variety of monsters, missions and side stories. It also has great graphics, music and control.
    Drakan is the biggest surprise I have encountered on the PS2.
    Sad that very few seem to be playing it and enjoying it as much as I am.
    Oh well.....your loss.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

6. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

I played the original PC version of Drakan several years ago. Then the developer abandoned PC and went console only. I am not going to buy PS2 just for one game.

7. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

8. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I enjoyed the first one on the PC. If I had a PS2, I'd pick it up. Oh yeah....anyone remember the model they had to represent Rynn? Whoo! [​IMG]
    -Dan B

9. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

I meant one game for ME. And that game is actually not Drakan. It's Final Fantasy X. Other than that, no other games on PS2 interest me enough to buy a PS2.

I am not into console games. I'll stick with my PC.

10. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I suppose that's how I feel about the Xbox (a system that I have no qualms with)... Jet Set Radio is the only game on the system that screams 'buy me!'
    But back OT, this game literally came out of nowhere. I've seen it in the stores a few times, and from the Box Art, and the vague RPG style name, I shrugged it off as some dilluted, third rate PC port.
    The gaming age reviewer mentions 'Ocarina of Time' as a comparable title. That got my interest. After watching a couple of the movies on IGN, I gotta say... it looks solid.
    I very well may have to pick this one up now. Thanks for the heads up! [​IMG]
    Joseph

11. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Jeez, I thought this thread had died and my praises for Drakan: The Ancients Gates were falling on deaf ears.[​IMG]
    That review is very accurate and I agree completely.
    I play almost every PS2 game that comes out and Drakan is definitely in the top 5 of all PS2 games.
    It really is that good IMO, and if you like these type of games, you will be happy that you got it.
    I've played at least 30 hours and I'm just now nearing the end of the game. And there re still side quests and other areas that I've yet to explore. This game is HUGE. And better yet it is great deal of FUN with excellent graphics.
    What more could you ask for? I cannot recommend Drakan enough for action/adventure/fantasy fans. I urge you all again to at least rent it and try it out.[​IMG]

12. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

I think the developer blew it this time. Drakan on PC had a lot of loyal fan followers. But they abandoned PC fans. The problem is that not many console gamers know this game. Big mistake. I would certainly buy the game if it were on PC.

13. Tim Ebling

Tim Ebling Extra

Shifting the development of Drakan II over to the PS2 from the PC was difficult for a number of reasons, not the least of which was disappointing the fans of the PC original who did not want to buy a new console for the sake of playing the sequel. I certainly can't blame you for feeling that way!
    However, in the end our shift to the console market was a very calculated one, and certainly not a big mistake as you put it. We only have limited sales information, but we've already exceeded sales in the US 2 to 1 over the original PC game, and that number will certainly grow. Other factors are the longer shelf life of console games, and the fact that the number of console users is growing much faster than PC users. And from a programming standpoint, we can concentrate more effort on making the game as opposed to spending effort trying to support a myriad of hardware configurations on the PC.
    But all this is somewhat moot since of course we would love to do a PC version of the game, but are limited by contract. I would not rule out the PC as a target market for future games from Surreal [​IMG]
    To the rest of you, I'm super glad to hear you're enjoying the game, and to be honest, as a long time HTF member (and lurker, hehe) I wasn't expecting to be reading about our game here. Woohoo!!!
    -tim
    Lead Programmer, Surreal Software

14. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    The Home Theater Forum has the best members. (even the ones that are lurking)
    It's nice to hear that a good game is selling well.
    -Dan B

15. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

Well looks like you hate developing games for PC because of hardware issues.

Good bye then.

16. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

17. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

This game is now sitting in my pile of games to be played thanks to the recommendations of the fellow HTFers.

I hope to get to it between JSRF and Rallisport Challenge.

18. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Tim
    Thanks again for taking the time to respond. You guys did a fantastic job on Drakkan for the PS2 and I look forward to more great things from Surreal. Kudos.[​IMG]
    Feng
    I suggest if you have other issues, please start another thread rather than deriding this one with your complaints. As you can see, I started this thread asking who else was playing it and loving it, neither of which apply to you. No offense, but thread "farting" is frowned upon here.[​IMG]

19. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Thanks for making a post Tim!!!! [​IMG] We appreciate the hard work developers put into their games.
    As for you Feng, take a chill pill. Tim's right, and every pc player (myself included) knows it.
    The pc is a royal pain in the ass to develope for. Too damn many different configs. If they don't spend alot of time and $$$ trying to make it work on all configs, they lose money and receive tons of hate mail, usenet flamings all whining about how it doesn't work on my system.
    Consoles...well, now that they can do kickass graphics, what developer in their right minds, wouldn't take advantage of a piece of hardware that has only ONE config, which equates into a MUCH shorter development time and FAR fewer bugs and MORE money for the developers?!!? [​IMG]
    Surreal would be foolish NOT to develope for the consoles.
    This is just pure fanboyism for a beloved platform. In this case, the PC. I guess I don't really understand fanboyism because my narrow mind looks at all this from the standpoint that WHATEVER the best system is, is the one I'll buy. We all win with competition.
    Now all we need to do is start a mouse/keyboard vs. game controller arguement!!! [​IMG]
    Hey...now there's an idea for a new topic... [​IMG]

20. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Derrick
    Nice response. BTW, have you played this game yet?[​IMG]