What's new

Anyone else planning on watching Miracles? (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I'll admit to being intrigued and hopeful by the promos for the show. Ever since the demise of The X-Files (and it happened long before the show was done), I've been longing for a well-written, well-acted show exploring the supernatural, the existence of God, and related matters.

I've read mixed reviews, but will watch the pilot (tape it, actually). Just wondering if anyone else plans on giving it a try.

And Veritas: The Quest sounds like it could be cool, but I have little faith in network suits to get it right.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Looks to me like a show that belongs on PAX instead. Touched by an Angel style crap with Log Cabin instead of Maple syrup

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested. It's a neat idea, I've heard it's a great pilot, and Angel's old show-runner David Greenwalt will be steering it from the second episode on. I wish it wasn't on at the same time as Crossing Jordan, but that's how these things always seem to work out.

Veritas, I'm hoping is good PG-rated Saturday serial fun. That's hard to do, though, so I don't figure on watching it when Boston Public is new.

Looks to me like a show that belongs on PAX instead. Touched by an Angel style crap with Log Cabin instead of Maple syrup
What, did you just look at the name and one-sentence premise ("man investigates miracles for the Catholic church") and just dismiss it? Everything I've heard makes it seem like a much creepier, more multifaceted show than that.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
All of my IT geek friends are already referring to V:TQ as "Veritas: The Backup". :laugh:

Miracles looks interesting, though. Echo the sentiments about it's unfortunate timeslot, opposite both CSI:Miami and Crossing Jordan. Do I need 3 TiVo's now? yeesh.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
What, did you just look at the name and one-sentence premise ("man investigates miracles for the Catholic church") and just dismiss it? Everything I've heard makes it seem like a much creepier, more multifaceted show than that.
No, seen the commercials, read the articles, interested because of Greenwalt's involvement, no longer interested in it whatsoever.

Craig P

Stunt Coordinator
I realize that AICN is an anathema to most here, but here's the comments of Hercules there, who had at least watched the show:

Is this a feel-good Christian drama like “Touched By An Angel”?

In no way. If the pilot is any indication, this is a dark series, far darker than the “X-Files” as well as smarter, more entertaining and undiminished by half-assed Mulderian wisecracks. (Alas, Shyamalan’s markedly more sophisticated wit is also absent, but one can’t help but applaud any storyteller who would offer no joke before offering a lame one.) “Miracles,” despite the warm-and-fuzzy title, seems to take issues of faith seriously, but not necessarily from the church’s point of view. Like “Brideshead Revisited,” it’s a story seemingly destined to be embraced by both atheists and the spiritual in equal measure. (Also, one doesn't see closeups of syringe needles impaling human eyeballs on "Touched By An Angel" as often as one used to.)
Unless I'm misreading Jeff's comments completely, it doesn't look like this show is what he fears.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Miracles looks promising, I'll be tuning in. Based on the previews it almost reminds me of Millennium season 2 (which I loved), except that the lead is working with the Catholic church instead of a secret organization. Somehow I doubt Skeet Ulrich will be as good as Lance Henriksen, though.

I halfway expect that if it meets my expectations (dark, intense, intelligently written) it probably won't last long on ABC, since that network seems to have a preference for brain-dead reality shows. Right now the only thing I watch on ABC is Alias.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Miracles looks promising, I'll be tuning in. Based on the previews it almost reminds me of Millennium season 2 (which I loved), except that the lead is working with the Catholic church instead of a secret organization. Somehow I doubt Skeet Ulrich will be as good as Lance Henriksen, though.

I halfway expect that if it meets my expectations (dark, intense, intelligently written) it probably won't last long on ABC, since that network seems to have a preference for brain-dead reality shows. Right now the only thing I watch on ABC is Alias.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks