What's new

Anyone else peeved by the shameless "music video" at the end of last night's Buffy?? (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think they used a montage because there was nothing left to really say with dialogue. And the 'video' was only like 2:30 - 3:00.

Christopher Carr

Stunt Coordinator
OK...just THINK of it THIS way.
The SHOTS of Michelle Branch WERE the point of VIEW of the audience IN the BRONZE. WE are very much like the AUDIENCE of Michelle Branch. We see her performing but have no idea at the things that are happening in everyone elses' lives. I had a script I was writing about a moment in someone's life and she thought that she was the only one in the world feeling hurt and pain and the world actually stopped for her whenever something horrible happened. So she would pity herself almost to the point of suicide. But the point of the script is that there were random moments of people like waking up in their rooms, and they werent essential characters at all. They were random people around the world at the same time in her life that were going through their lives as the world goes on. Like when the pivitol moment of the script came it flashed from her reactions to random flashes of everyone's life. As she thinks her life is over and the world must stop, the emphasis was on the fact that the world goes on and on. There is even a shot of an ant carrying food around the ground showing that even the simplest of life goes on...
We are the people who see one narrow view on Michelle Branch. We are the people who just see her performing and don't see the world for what it is. It just happens at the time of the song that all of these things were taking place. That's the way I see it. That the world goes on and so do other's lives. Or we might be people near Buffy...looking at Buffy and thinking about her life...while at the same time Michelle Branch is performing a song and Tara is leaving Willow....
Just a thought to keep me going on :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, Chris...
Possibly. I just have a hunch that it wasn't that deep. My gut feeling was that it was simpler. I mean, the effect I saw would it be no different if the singer had been on the TV in some charater's house since there was no interaction between characters and singer. I mean, it COULD have been better. If Buffy had say, made eye contact with her and they had exchanged some info. nonverbally, THAT would have been cool. Like when you are performing and look into the crowd and see someone REALLY looking back, "getting" a song and making an association about their own experiences.
I dunno, just seemed unnecessary the way it was done.
Anyway, I don't know WHERE the show is heading. I thought last year's end was the most surprising, moving and Ballsy way to end a show. Wow. Quite literally had me in tears and if they HAD ended it that way, would have ended on top and gone down in the TV history books. Now, since virtually anyone who's dead can somehow be ressurected, the sense of danger in the show is IMHO GREATLY diminished. If someone dies, heck, no big deal, Willow can just bring em' back ala Pet Sematarty albeit in a screwy state.
I mean, last year had me literally on the edge, holding my breath at the end of each episode. This year, with a few exceptions it seems like they are lost, backpedalling and just repeating themselves.
If the montage is indicative of whet they "used" to do, that just proves my point.
Peace! Dave

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I think it's a nice jesture to give an artist a little bit of screen time, especially since as I understand, that version of the song (acoustic) was recorded especially for that episode. I would say that's nice of her (the artist).

Anyhoo, this is done frequently enough in shows (showing the artist a fair bit I mean); take Twin Peaks for example, during the "falling" song.

As an aside, it seemed like they were going for a "Magnolia" moment ala Aimee Mann's "Not Going to Stop", though of course there was no artist shots in the movie.

Oh well, I thought it was a decent way to take up the last 3 minutes of the episode, hit home a theme/point/etc, and repay an artist (maybe).

cheers!

Josh

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
No, Buffy could only come back because of the way she died. It was sort of a 'one' time thing. Unless another character dies from mystical energy.... willow can't bring them back. Look at Joyce and see exactly what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks