What's new

Anyone else partial to female vocalists? (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m surprised no one has mentioned Brittney Spears, Celine Dion, Destiny’s Child, ad nauseam. Guess the members here have better taste than that!

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I’m surprised no one has mentioned Brittney Spears, Celine Dion, Destiny’s Child, ad nauseam. Guess the members here have better taste than that!
Ummm... My collection includes Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Michelle Branch and Spice Girls... All guilty pleasures, I guess :).
-Mike...

Sathyan

Second Unit
Absolutely, for vocal music (other than opera) I listen almost exclusively to female soloists of female-fronted groups. I've noticed my preferred vocal range is alto/mezzo which is approxiamtely the range covered by my instrument (viola). I wonder if there's any connection?

My list of recommendation below carries a number of imports (thank god for HMV, non-English indicated by asterik) which have largely been absent from this thread. And Wayne I will include Celine Dion - my fav album of hers is "The French Album". "Cherche encore" and "J'irais ou tu iras" are good tracks.

I will be happy to give mini reviews upon request or particular album rec's.

@ = avail. in hi-rez

My faves (~70 artists) in no particular order:

The Corrs@

Natasha St-Pier*

Lara Fabian*

Giorgia*

Thalia*

Paulina Rubio*

Shakira*

Laura Pausini*

Helene Segara*

Diana Krall@

Norah Jones@

Celine Dion*@

Chantal Kreviazuk

Joan Osborne

Michelle Branch

Susan Tedeschi

Suzanne Vega

Alizee*

Elisa*

Patricia Kaas*

Kelly Joyce*

Sugababes

Nightwish

Evanessence

Melissa Etheridge

Alice Deejay

Emma Shapplin@* - really cool 14th C Italian soprano vocals backed by eccleiastical Latin choir

Dido

Tina Arena

Natacha Atlas*

Alexia

Cardigans

Aqua

Kylie Minogue

Madonna

Paula Cole

Peach Union

Svala

Heather Nova

Tara McLean

Amanda Marshall@

Lucero*

Lamya - one of the best underplayed albums of last year

No Doubt

Jewel

Natalie Imbruglia

Sarah McLachlan

Natalie Merchant@

Sheryl Crow

Selena*

10,000 Maniacs

Pink

Amy Grant

Jennifer Paige

India Arie

Shivaree

Tori Amos

Anggun

Ophelie Winter

Axelle Red

Lili Fatale

Jacinta

Ana Caram@

and 100% of my country collection is female:

Shania Twain

Cyndi Thomson

Shelby Lynne

Leann Rimes

Mindy McCready (her If I Don't Stay the Night is one of the most solid albums I've heard)

Dixie Chicks

Martina McBride

Deanna Carter

Leann Womack

--

Sathyan

NP Natasha St-Pier - De L'Amour Le Mieux

edited for spelling

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
You mean the one I'm listening to right now? ;) A pretty good album - there's a cut or two that isn't that great, but the other songs far outweigh the bad.
-Dave

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I just bought Evanscence and am in love with the cd. I bought it Saturday and it hasnt left any of my cd players. Amy Lee is an incredible singer and teh tunes are haunting.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
You folks here should give Sarah Slean ( another Sarah) a listen. She's from Toronto and her first cd from Warner's "Night Bugs" is amazing!

And she's even better live. She'll be doing a webcast performance for the Junos (Cdn Grammy) sometime in the future, and she's going to perform at cabaret bar in NY early next month.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'll agree that the Evanescene lead singer has a great voice. It's just unfortunate that she teamed up with Linkin Park Jr. (And, yes, I have heard album cuts beyond "Bring Me To Life".)

My recommendations:

Shivaree (Ambrosia Parsley)

K's Choice (Sarah Bettens)

Lesser recommendations include Catatonia, Amanda Ghost, and the afore-mentioned Belly and frente!

WillardK

Second Unit
ooooo... someone mentioned Sally Timms

I don't know if I'd be as much of a Mekons fan as I am if it weren't for her.

My favorite band of recent years is Stereolab with Laetitia Sader (the band unfortunately lost the other female vocalist, Mary Hansen, who died recently in a motorcycle accident)

Whether it's Sleater-Kinney, Laika or Joni Mitchell, I always find myself searching for at least one female vocal to include in the carousel.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
No I'm not partial to female singers. It's not that I don't like them it's just...well I think most of them sound pretty much the same. That whole girl with guitar thing got old really quick and it never really did anything for me in the first place.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Update: since my last posts in this thread from a year ago (I love it when old, good threads get resurrected), where I mentioned a beginning interest in Kate Bush and Ella Fitzgerald as well as a love of Joni Mitchell, I have since picked up a bunch of Ella, two more Kate Bush CDs (Hounds of Love and The Sensual World, in addition to The Whole Story which I already had), some Billie Holiday, a little Renaissance, and two Tori Amos CDs (Choirgirl Hotel and just yesterday Under the Pink), and Norah Jones.

My interest in female singers has picked up recently.

TomCW

Second Unit
Glad you resurrected this thread Mike!
I've been getting into, I guess you'd call it 'Americana', except some of the artists are Canadian. OK then, Northamericana! :)
Alison Krauss + Union Station
The Be Good Tanyas
Gillian Welch
Kathleen Edwards
Kelly Willis
I've also managed to pick up The Whole Story and The Sensual World by Kate Bush used (my favorite record store is a pawn shop - $3 cds). Kate is very interesting, I'm starting to like her music, but it does take some getting used to. How is Hounds Of Love? Would you recommend it?
Tom

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Glad you resurrected this thread Mike!
Credit belongs to Sathyan (check the post dates).

I think Hounds of Love is generally considered to be her best work. It is more eclectic than the Sensual World, which was deliberately toned down dynamically to create a more personal feel. I love Hounds, not least because the first two tracks on the album are my favorite songs of hers.

"It's in the trees!"

NP: U2, October

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I listen almost exclusively to female vocalists. Always have. I find their range greater and I guess the quality and tone of their voices are more to my liking.

Some of my favorites are:

Tori Amos

Kate Bush

Sarah McLachlan

Ani Difranco

Bjork

Shawn Colvin

Gillian Welch

Jill Sobule

Natalie Imbruglia

Alanis Morisette

Aimee Mann

Beth Orton

Fiona Apple

Holly Cole

Paula Cole

Lisa Gerrard

Kristin Hersh

Loreena McKennitt

Suzanne Vega

As far as Kate Bush goes, 'Hounds of Love' is generally considered her best (and one of my favorite albums), followed by 'The Dreaming'. After those two my favorites are 'The Sensual World' and 'The Red Shoes. She hasn't put out an album in a decade. She seems pretty content with motherhood, though reports are that she is working intermittently on an album, though who knows when it'll come into fruition, if ever.

And for Tori, I still find 'Little Earthquakes' to be her best work. I love absolutely everything about that album. The songwriting, singing, instrumentation, production, etc. It's Tori at her most raw and emotional. It's one of my 5 Desert Island Albums. After that, IMO, comes 'Under the Pink', 'Boys for Pele' and her latest, 'Scarlet's Walk'.

5 Desert Island Albums:

Tori Amos - 'Little Earthquakes'

Rush - 'Moving Pictures'

Yes, - 'Close to the Edge'

Michael Hedges - 'Taproot'

Kate Bush - 'Hounds of Love'

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
One of the best things about Evanesence is the "Linkin Park Jr" band kind of sets it apart from others IMO.

Some I like are

Linda Thompson

Judy Collins

Sandy Denney

Joni Mitchell

Karen Carpenter

Carol King

10,000 Maniacs

Fleetwood Mac (both female singers)

Petula Clark

Joan Jett

Face to Face (the group with the female lead singer not the metal group, did ANYONE else ever hear of them?)

Lone Justice

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I strongly recommend everyone to check out Sarah Slean.
She hails from Toronto:emoji_thumbsup: and her cd "Night Bugs" is amazing.
You can also see her perform 7 songs from the cd at an online concert at sympatico.ca
http://music.sympatico.ca/fa/sarahslean/
Another great Canadian singer is Chantal Kreviazuk.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Yeah, I'm really partial to female singers, too:

Jonatha Brooke (IMHO the finest singer/songwriter today)

The Corrs

Sheryl Crow

Lesley Gore

Kim Ritchey

Others I can't think of right now

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks