Anyone else out there love The White Buffalo?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Brett_M, May 1, 2006.

1. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    This is one of my favorite films -- I watch it every time it's on Flix or Encore.

There is something about the score, the screenplay (genuine frontier gibberish), Charles Bronson, Will Sampson and Jack Warden that make this fun to watch. There is a melancholy surrounding the whole production. The scenery is great, too. Features some great shootouts and the climax is chilling.

I would buy this on DVD in a second.

What do you think?

2. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

You mean this movie...

[​IMG]

I used to watch this all the time years ago, but I haven't come across a broadcast in my area for a good 10-15 years...I probably wouldn't like it as much today.

But I do own a nice mini reproduction of the above poster [​IMG]

3. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    An awesome poster. Using the giant monster as a selling point due to the success of Jaws. As a practical effect, I love the image of the charging albino bison. The music and sound effects make it nightmarish.

4. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

Yeeeesh!

No no no no no.

Hey I have a great idea, lets replace Godzilla with Jesus. That would be cool right? right?

5. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer

This part of your response is uncalled for and pretty immature. Grow up and try again: what don't you like about it?

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    it's been showing on one of the encore channels for the last 6 months or so.
    i remember seeing this at the movies when i was a kid.

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Haven't seen it in years, but I liked it back then.

8. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

I would snatch this one up in a heart beat if it ever came to DVD....... I haven't seen this one in years either.... Years.... I love the final battle scene......

R~

9. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer

I discoverd it on TBS or WGN (or one of those superstations) back in the 80s and it stuck with me. I watch it just about every time it's on Encore or Flix -- I can't help it.

It's not on DVD and I thought they would have released it when Bronson died. I think MGM owns it -- I've emailed them several times requesting it.

10. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I still have it on vhs somewhere and I managed to catch it at the cinema way back when I would watch anything at the cinema.

Enjoyable little movie, but I just can't help but notice the wheels and tracks used to move the titular beast whenever I watch it. [​IMG]

The best thing about this film was John Barry's music score.

11. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer

Agreed -- awesome score. Great outdoor cinematography, too. (Especially during the Kilean/Hickok shootout in the mountains.)

It's funny you mention the contraption that moves the buffalo. It is visible on the VHS because it's full frame. When its on Encore or Flix, the wheels and track are matted out. In any event, I'd love to see it on DVD soon.

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

You're right my old vhs copy must have been unmatted, see more top and bottom. And I'm pretty sure I didn't see the buffalo's gears and wheels at the cinema. I wouldn't mind seeing it again on widescreen dvd one day.

The film is basically a western variation of Moby Dick, Charles Bronson, playing Wild Bill Hickock, is obsessed with hunting down the almost mythical white buffalo which sunk his ship and took his leg, sorry no wait that was Captain Ahab, hmmm but why was Hickock obsessed with the albino beastie? I canna remember. Anyhow the film ends with Charlie Bronson harpooning the buffalo and yelling out "from hells heart I stab at thee!" or maybe it doesn't. [​IMG]

13. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

I doubt you would even care Brett, knowing the general attitude of HTF members.

I have seen the movie and found it silly at best. I like Bronson but this was one of his poorer rolls. I also enjoy John Barry, his scores are fantastic but in this film ultimately forgettable.

I would like to go into the characterisation of Crazy Horse by Will Sampson but will save you the pain of an opposing viewpoint say that it was cliched and stereotyped.

Turning the White Buffalo into a Charging Roaring Breathing Fire and Hell monster is Hollywood disrespect at its finest. I do not expect anyone here to know and understand what the White Buffalo is and what it represents to people like me but I assure you that the analogy is spot on target whether you agree with it or not Brett.

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    thats just a shame.

reminds me. ...never mind.

15. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer

I do care -- that's my point. Based on your response, is it safe to say that you're a Native American?

I know what the White Buffalo is and what it represents. I know that the "holy bull" is turned from something sacred to Native Americans into a monster for this film. As someone posted above, it is a westernized version of Moby Dick, with Hickok as Ahab, terrorized by nightmares of a murderous albino bison, due to Hickok's struggle with a venereal disease. The film explores not only this fantastical struggle, but also sheds light on race and ethnicity issues (especially in regards to Jack Warden's racist frontiersman) and the advance of the frontier under what the whites called "progress" and the Native Americans called "greed." That Hickok and Crazy Horse reach an agreement at the end of the film as to their bond says a lot about what the filmmakers and Richard Sale were trying to say: although brothers, we will all forever be in conflict with one another.

And if Will Samson's portrayal of Crazy Horse is cliched and stereotyped, then I wish all Native Americans were portrayed like him: strong, valiant and intelligent (if a little morose).

You're analogy is spot on and I get it. I doubt many others do. Please give us a description of what the White Buffalo means to people like you.

16. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Guys....

I've been in the film biz for over 30 years....

Repeat after me..... It's just a movie..... It's just a movie....

and entertaining at that.....

Dugger

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Different film, same discussion. By the way, I would buy the dvd because I like the movie.

Crawdaddy

18. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer

I agree totally but I think I overreacted to David Brown Eyes' post.