Anyone else out there have MATTES for 2:35 films for their HDTV rear projection?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by CraigK, Nov 3, 2003.

1. CraigK

CraigK Stunt Coordinator

Well...I read that some do...so I constructed some out of some thick foam board and then spray painted them silver (to match the tv...I know...I won't see the color in total darkness...but it was nice to match it) and I attached them with simple adhesive puddy (ya know...the kind you use to put posters up-this way it leaves no residue or takes anything off the cabinet).

I may be on crack, but I have personally found that this has actually IMPROVED PICTURE QUALITY immensely!! Contrast and Balcks are better, and the image just seems to be be sharper and the colors really pop. Not to mention the fact that it feels more like a theatre when the lights are all down and you have a 2:35 image standing out like that. It gives the feeling of a mini-front projector.

Has anyone else out there done this? Do you too believe that it has improved the picture quality, or am I just seeing things? I mean...for a cost of about 5 bucks...I think I have improved my system.

2. JackLonn

JackLonn Agent

I've been using flat black matting from a frame shop for several years. I attached the "soft" part of velcro to the tv bezel and the hooks to the matting. This allows me to adjust the matting to fit whatever format I'm viewing. Works great. Even my wife, who never notices a difference, requests the matting for LTR box movies. Great $10 investment. My tv is 4:3 BTW.

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i made mine from a felt like material that i got from michaels. i put the harder velcro side on the tv and the felt sticks right to it very easily. and this way i can move it and adjust it nicely.
    they werent long enough so i had to cut and glue them together for the length.
    craig why did you paint them silver?
    don't you use them to cover the areas on the screen that arent black enough when veiwing 2:35?
    doesnt this show up as silver when the lights are off?

i would recommend anyone who hasnt done this yet, do it.
    the black bars on a 2.35 movie are never truly as black as possible but the mattes make the tv disappear.

6. CraigK

CraigK Stunt Coordinator

I guess I painted them silver because it matches the tv...silly I guess...it was just an aesthetic choice. Even when the lights have to be brought up...the silver mattes bleands in nearly perfect to the silver cabinet.

When the lights are down...no siler to be seen.

Glad to see it works well for others...I just watched EPISODE 2 with my mattes...WOW!

7. JackLonn

JackLonn Agent

Gil - Sorry it took me so long to reply; couldn't log on yesterday. Go figure. I just went to a custom frame shop and asked for a piece of flat black frame matting. It looks like black cardboard. They didn't charge extra to cut it for me. I had two pieces cut, both approx. 10" x 48". I placed a long piece of hook velcro on each end (10" end) with once piece in the middle (set perpendicular to the long side) with corresponding velcro loop on each side of my TV bezel and in the top/bottom bezel. The velcro at the center of the "masks" provides support at the middle and helps prevent sagging. To position my "masks" I just "scene select" to daylight scene in the movie so the "black bars" standout clearly and place the "masks" so they cover the black bars; then restart the show. Works really well and was cheap. You can REALLY tell the difference in movies with a lot of night/dark scenes. Without the masks the movie just fades into the screen and you can't tell what is blank screen and what is dark part of movie. With the mask there is a definite deliniation between movie and background.

8. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

9. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

LOL...where is Jay Mitchosky???

He put me on to the idea of mattes many, many years ago. This is an absolutely ESSENTIAL tweak, and further there is no excuse not to do it - it is dirt cheap and picture quality and overall impression improves dramatically!!