Anyone else notice the actor rollover?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_A, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

Between Oz and Law and Order SVU? I have seen at least 5 actors from Oz get leads roles or start doing work on L&O. Kinda weird seeing a bunch of characters from a different series all wind up on a different show.

Do they share the same casting people or something?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

No, but both do shoot in New York City, as opposed to Los Angeles. So, both wind up drawing from a different pool of actors than the L.A.-based shows.

(And IMDB only shows three actors in common - Chris Meloni, B.D. Wong, and Dean Winters - although that may not include folks who were guest stars in one or both shows)

3. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

Yeah not all the people I have seen are regulars but guest stars. I have never seen it so many rollovers in one series to another though, maybe they can get away with it since Oz is a premium network show and isn't exposed to as many viewers.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

J.K. Simmons (a/k/a Vern Schillinger) had a recurring role on SVU as a department shrink (!) before B.D. Wong's character became a regular. Anthony Chisholm (a/k/a Redding, Augustus Hill's "mentor") showed up just last night as a prisoner on death row. I'm sure I've seen other Oz crossovers as guest stars, but I can't remember them.

100 Centre Street, another show that shoots in New York, also draws from the same pool, and a number of Oz regulars have popped up -- most recently the aforementioned Anthony Chisholm playing a homeless man accused of manslaughter after an emergency worker dies in a fire.

M.

5. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

If you really want to see actor rollover , check out episodes of "The X-Files", "Millennium" and "Harsh Realm."

All of them were shot in Vancouver at one time or another, and share a lot of the same production staff. It seemed like every episode of Millennium or Realm had some actor who had been in some episode of the X-Files. Hell, Terry O'Quinn had to leading roles in Millennium and Harsh Realm, and played three different roles in the X-Files alone!

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Actually..if you look at the quality shows...E.R., The X-Files, NYPD Blue, The Practice, etc. you will see a LOT of the same actors from show to show. Better quality show = higher calibre actor!

Chris Carter is not the only one running a repertory company...Steven Bochco is very loyal to actors who have appeared on his shows.

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    And the pool of TV directors with film experience in New York is even smaller than the actor pool - so all these shows probably use many of the same directors, each of whom will have his/her favorite actors and recommend them for parts in episodes. If the producers like an actor they'll ask him or her back. The original L&O itself has used the same actor in different roles a number of times over the years. (Including Jerry Orbach who originally appeared in a guest-shot as a defense attorney. The producers liked him, and when a part opened up for an older cop, he got the call.)
    With the multiple reruns of the show (especially the older and middle episodes on A&E and the newer ones on TNT) it is fun to sometimes see an actor playing a cop or a convict at 7 PM, then turn up as a judge or a witness at 8. [​IMG]
    Babylon 5 used to do this all the time, usually putting a returning actor under alien makeup (or having one who previously appeared as an alien return as a human.) Wayne Alexander guest-starred something like 13 or 14 times between B5 and Crusade, and only played the same character in four or five episodes.
    Regards,
    Joe