Anyone else not like sports?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I am not a sports person AT ALL & I sometimes wonder if I am the only one or something. I mean every day at work all I hear is( hay Joe did you see the game night )or that is all anyone wonts to talk about & I always get a crazy look when I tell them how much I cant stand sports. And now is the time of year that that's all that is on tv anymore[​IMG] I have nothing against people who enjoy them but my god I cant stand hearing about it anymore & I just wont to smack the next person who tells me about LAST NIGHTS GAME in there excited my favorite team won voice ugh[​IMG]
    So is there anyone else out there that's like this? I feel like I'm the only one out there whos life doesn't revolve around playing ball. To me the whole concept is pretty screwed up, you take a ball of some form or another chase it around trying to keep it away from the other team, Get pissed when the other team touches you ball, work your self up to a dirty sweat, than top it all off by taking a shower with a bunch of other men[​IMG] just ain't my kinda thing.

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I used to be that way during High School. I couldn't stand sports on TV. Then I moved to Calgary and had to deal with all of the Calgary Flames freaks who were going crazy because they had just beat the Montreal Canadiens for the Stanley Cup. I tell you it drove me nuts so just to spite everyone in Calgary I bought a Montreal Canadiens ball cap and wore it everywhere. I got so many dirty looks and it was kind of fun. Well, I decided I was just being immature so I decided to watch some hockey and while at first I did not get it, there was something about it that was compelling. After that if I went to a friend's house and the game was on, I would watch a little and not completely hate it. The real change was when Sega came out with the games. I started to play these and as I got to know the rules, players and intricacies of the game, the more I enjoyed the real game. Now I am a die hard Habs fan and won't look back.

Mind you, you seem to be talking about baseball fans and I think that baseball is the most boring thing on earth to watch. Hell, I like to watch Curling more that baseball.

3. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

No I cant stand any kind of sports weather it be hockey, football, baseball, ext. Heck I cant even stand racing & I'm a car person, although a good wreck can be entertaining. I just don't get why people get so hyped up over the stuff.

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I wouldn't consider myself a big sports fan at all. And yet, I found myself cursing in an empty room as the Eagles lost.

I didn't watch the 1st quarter though since I was at work, so I can't be that big of a fan... Right?? I'm not in any fantasy league (and I think I'm the only one I know that's not)

6. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

I've played little league baseball and do enjoy playing sports. I do watch when i get a chance but youll probably never find a sunday NFL day at my house. i just dont get into it like that. I know what you mean about being at work... you got a group of guys talking then all of the sudden lastnights game becomes the topic and you find yourself with nothing to say...

Living in the bay area youve got all these Raider fans running around like a gang ready to beat up anyone in favor of another team... i just dont get it.

7. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

Oh and by the way Joe, I dont know how many people ive shown your sonosub pics to.

i tell people "thats what i want!"

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Sports is like movies or music or art(painting/sculpting), it is quite beautiful to watch unless you are watching just bad players and bad teams. You get mad when people talk about the previous days sporting events but what if you started talking about movies or another venue, is it ok than?

The beauty of a great baseball swing to a pitcher who has great control over a baseball to a great defensive play made to look effortless.

A QB who can throw a perfect pass when a 265lb LB is running full speed getting ready to rock you is so impressive. The body control of a RB, WR or most any football player is quite exceptional.

I could go on about Basketball and Hockey but I will stop here.

Sports is art.

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

In sports, fans will identify with certine players and/or teams and that player will almost represent your personality and attitude, that why sports talk can get quite heated when another person is bashing "your guy" b/c in a way he is bashing you. Not all people are like this but most people are.

People that are lunch pale type guys will enjoy watching a less talented man that bust his @ss over a extremly talented player that will cadilac it. Other people that are not as physical will like maybe a more quicker and athletic player who will more likeliy run around than over you.

Players also have a style of play and their specialty is something you really injoy watching. I loved watching Terrell Davis run, I mean I just couldn't get enough. Also, when Charles Woodson was at Michigan, that guy was the badest player I have seen play, the guy looked awesome just standing on the field not to mention he made play after play after play.

Why do people like Martin Scorsesse films? Or Fincher or Mozart etc? That person likes that artists' style and enjoys experiencing that talent. Sports you get that just as much but when you get on the biggest scale, Superbowl, World Series, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup Finals and see your player or just any players perform in the clutch or fold under the pressure is something else.

Again, sports is art.

10. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Joe,
    My older brother can't stand sports at all, and 2 of my roomates (out of 5) don't watch sports either. I also know a bunch of other people at my college who aren't into sports.

StanleyK,
    I don't appreciate your comments in this thread.

Matthew Furtek

11. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

12. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

13. Rain

Rain Producer

I couldn't care less about sports.

My attitude is "to each their own," but I must say something that really bugs me is when total strangers try to make small talk in elevators and such with comments like "So how about that game last night?"

I always feel like countering with something like "So what do you think of the films of Akira Kurosawa?"

14. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I don't like watching regular (read baseball, football, etc.) televised sports on television either, though I do enjoy watching special events such as the Olympics and so-called 'Extreme' sports such as dirt-bike jumping and motocross. I'm more interested in participating than watching, soccer for example.

15. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

No, I don't like sports either, but even more so, I don't like what it has done to this country. Right now the schools are in trouble. I wonder how much more money they would have if they dropped the teams? Between the uniforms and equipment, I'm sure they'd save a bundle.

The pro sports wages have gotten way out of hand too. I have heard that the ticket prices are way, way too high. They are supposed to be playing games. Wouldn't chess be a lot cheaper?

Oh, and I'd like to propose that from now on, any pro team member has to have his original residence within 50 miles of the team he's playing for. No inter-team trading. Wouldn't that be a riot?

Glenn

16. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

While I can't honestly say I "don't like sports," I can very honestly say I have no connection with guys who LOVE sports, LOVE to watch them, LOVE to talk about them.

I enjoy playing volleyball, I enjoy swimming, I enjoy hiking and cycling.

I do NOT enjoy watching sports, with the exception of volleyball and tennis. And with those, I only watch either the finals or if I happen to catch them as I flip.

In fact, I've always particularly hated basketball because of it's ridiculously long season, and that the playoffs always seem to last for a month, pre-empting everything.

I have never been, nor can I even imagine being, one of those guys who can watch ANY sport. Watching baseball is like watching paint dry for me. Now I enjoy GOING to an occasional game, mind you, but more for the overall experience. The game remains pretty boring for me, as does basketball, football, bowling, etc.

And while I do have teams I like, I have no understanding of anyone - be they male or female - who actually are emotionally affected by the outcome of a televised game. People who get angry or depressed because "their" team lost. People, it's a GAME - something done, at least initially, for FUN. While I certainly agree some positive things can come out of sports, the games in and of themselves simply don't matter, in the long run.

And, as a mostly non-sports person, something that always makes me laugh derisively is when some sports announcer talks about how "important" a baseball game played in early May is, when there are roughly 3,562 games left in the season. Ugh.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    After deleting some posts from this thread, I hope others can contribute to this thread without an attitude and disrespect for other members.
    Crawdaddy

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

nope can't stand em, bore the living shit out of me.

19. florence franks

florence franks Stunt Coordinator

Can't stand them either. Unless Figure Skating counts as sport, i can handle that [​IMG]

20. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer