1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else messing up their dvd package when trying to open?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrentJ, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

I am not one who usually complains about this stuff because I rarely have a problem with the shrink-wrap and the security stickers (the ones on the outside edges of the case).

Now I do have a problem with some of the security (sensor) stickers that are usually found inside the case, but yesterday when I was opening "The Simpsons: Season Two" (carboard case - keep in mind) the sensor sticker was on the outside of the box underneath the single sheet that is somewhat glued to the package. I started to peel away the security sensor and it was coming off fine until the very end. The package now looks like it has a bubble, caused by water, on the back.

What moron decided to put the security stickers on the outside of a cardboard case???

2. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

The back of my cases usually have 3 small indentations from using my fingernail to start the removal process. Lately, the the security labels have been splitting in half. I start peeling the sticker off and there is another layer of label left.

I will use the knife method from here on out.

3. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

I have messed up some cases when I have bought used ones from Blockbuster. The price you pay for saving a few dollars I guess. I've also put a few blemishes on new ones trying to get the wrapping off.

4. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

The LOTR case was some kind of challenge with its plastic covering on all three sides of the casing. I've never met plastic so difficult to get off, or maybe it was because I was so excited about watching the movie, I didn't concentrate enough...

I believe they put the plastic on there so people can't easily open the cases in stores and simply steal the discs inside, leaving the case and security tags behind. This would be a good reason to make it tricky to open them. I think they want people to notice other people opening the cases.

5. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

So far I haven't had any trouble with single releases, knock wood.

Box sets are another matter. After slowly and carefully removing the stickers for the Fawlty Towers set, I discovered that part of the BBC logo was faded. No wonder, the ink had transferred to the darn sticker. It peeved me for a few minutes, considered exchanging it, then thought, oh well, better luck next time.

If feasible, in the case of box sets with a slipcase configuration, I cut only enough shrinkwrap to allow an opening and access to the discs within and leave the rest of the wrap intact (keeps the box art scratch and fingerprint free no less); did so with the Godfather and Simpsons (particularly since both seasons have that tv cutout hole) sets.

6. George See

George See Second Unit

Those security things don't even work, I was in best buy once and watched a guy slit with what looked like a small razor blade all three security seals and pop the discs into his pocket the whole thing couldn't have taken him more than 30 seconds. So those security measures are only frustrating consumers not stopping shoplifters. What they should use instead is those plastic outer cases that they use on cd's and have to be removed at the cash register those things actually prevent theft without defacing the packaging.

7. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

My friendly neighbourhood Future Shop used to encase their dvds in those plastic outer cases. It made it much harder to browse considering that they cumulatively take up more space on the shelves and are packed quite tightly. At any rate, they have stopped using those cases, probably in favour of those three-edge security stickers.

8. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I too despise the security stickers, but with a little patience and a finger nail they should come off pretty easy. I have at times, while trying to get them off actually separated the top layer of the sticker from the stick layer.

9. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

oops

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'd like to know why these stickers are needed on DVDs bought online? Is it to keep the online company's employees from stealing? Do the the studios themselves put these God awful stickers on? I buy 99% of my DVDs online now & I just do not see why the stickers are needed for DVDs that go from a warehouse to a shipping carton to me.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

12. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

The LOTR stickers are obviously an evil plot hatched by Sauron. We need to gather 9 brave adventurers to journey to the land of Mordor and destroy the great sticker factory at Mount Doom. We will be stopping at Rivendell and Lothlorien but will bypass Moria. The last team that went through there ran into some difficulties.

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I agree with most of you guys. I'm very anal about packaging too....and hate a messy-looking case!
    That's why I always have several empty, new cases (free of ANY stickers!) on hand, because I know about 50% of the time I'm gonna end up putting the DVD into a new case.
    I know it's a bit of an added expense, but if you really can't stand your scratched-up/mangled keepcases, then get some extras. It saves many an evening of aggravation of having to stare at those lousy fingernail-indented cases! [​IMG]

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Regarding that LOTR "STICKER-LADEN CASE FROM THE DEPTHS OF HELL" .... Is that a Slim 2-Disc Amaray? Or a Double-Thick Alpha 2-discer?
    You can get extra Alpha Doubles HERE.

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Just Shrek that had that most annoying sticker om the case that would not come off. I had to change the case.

16. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Try inserting the pocketknife under the sticker with the blade parallel to the edge of case, then use the blade to put a small slit in the sticker. Once you have any sort of an edge to grab onto, it's pretty easy to peel the sticker off.

The ones that really get me are the ones that fall apart in little pieces as you peel them off. Those drive me nuts.

17. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I usually get a hole in the plastic on the keep cases when I use my nails. I am getting better at it though. It just take practice to open DVDs really good. [​IMG]

18. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

19. Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD Stunt Coordinator

It has been REALLY hot this summer and i suppose this might affect the difficultness of peeling security stickers of the dvd packaging. They go from a hot warehouse to an even hotter ups truck(or whatever) for delivery.

20. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

So far, I've heard dozens of reports on DVD forums of people damaging their Lord of the Rings covers. Damn New Line! (Double-Damn Alliance for its bilingual covers!)

I peeled a bit of my cover edge away removing the bottom security sticker. I then filled in the missing ink at the bottom of the cover with a black marking pen, making it almost invisible. I honestly went as slow as could but still couldn't avoid tearing. I think the cover inserts were manufactured a bit too tall or stuck in too far/not far enough - and then the situation was compounded with a new security sticker adhesion formula. Most everybody who bought LOTR got "ripped".