Anyone else messing up their dvd package when trying to open?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrentJ, Aug 7, 2002.

1. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

Man I just messed up my new LOTR dvd case. The security stickers on the side, top, and bottom are really starting make me a little angry. I took my pocket knife and tried to peel the stickers off (usually works) since I don't have a set of claws on my hands. This time I scratched it up pretty bad. I'm one who likes to take care of not only my disc's, but especially the case they come in.
    Anyone know a better technique on how to open these? I don't want this to happen again. I feel like taking it back and saying if they will trade it in.
    thanks[​IMG]

2. DaveN

DaveN Extra

If you take that same pocket knife and cut right down the center of the label (along the line where the case would open), you will find it much easier. You can then peel each half of the label off starting at the spine. If you go slowly and are careful, there should be no damage to the case whatsoever.

I hate those stupid things too! To this day, I do not fully understand what function they may serve.

David

3. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

Free yourself of the cases! I keep all my DVDs in Case Logic cases. I know some people love their cases as much as the movie itself, but I started with music CDs a few years ago and now do the same with my DVDs. I do like having the coverart, but most DVDs come with an insert w/ the coverart. I also download coverart from the net for the DVDs without it. Also, I do keep the boxset cases (X-files, From the Earth to the Moon, etc.). This also saves space when your collection gets larger.

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I agree!!!The security stickers on the side & top of WB releases is really PISSING me off! I've had part of the artwork peel away on my last 3 WB titles. I wish they would get rid of those DAMNED things!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

I bought mine at wal-mart and I'm normally a pretty nice guy. However, what do you guys think about me taking it back and asking for another copy. I really take pride in my collection and I don't like seeing a nick on front of my case. I'll just tell them what's up. I hate dealing with return people, but this is just pissing me off. I keep looking at it lol and thinking damn!

6. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    My brother (he's 24) always ruins the cover when he opens it. He often uses his teeth because he's really impatient, but even when he doesn't he still stretches out the plastic cover and makes it look really ugly.

Yesterday, he was about to open LOTR. He was adamant about opening it while I was driving. I had to rip it out of his hands to stop him.

Then, when we got to my home, I carefully opened it.

He thinks I open it too slowly but I'm willing to bet that we both open it at the same speed.

7. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I feel your pain. I just ruined part of my Time After Time snapper case because the stupid security sticker "pulled off" part of the text on the back of the case. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I second DaveN's practice. Cutting along the case's breech is almost always going to work. Except on my copies of American Werewolf in London and Following. Both of their "covers" had shifted in the cases and became glued to the security sticker. There was no saving them.[​IMG]

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Hopefully I'll be able to replace the damaged snappers with downloaded cover art & Amaray cases.

10. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

Uh, no offense, but unless you have crippling arthritis or try to gnaw the stickers off, they're pretty easy to remove without damaging the case. Just peel them off.

11. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

12. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Grrr, don't remind me. I hate those things. I was just thinking about it yesterday as I opened my LOTR dvd, and gouged a small cunk out of the protective plastic with my fingernail. Pissed me off real good. [​IMG] What the hell the hell do they need those on there for anyway?

13. Mike H

Mike H Stunt Coordinator

The only time I tend to mess up cases is when I deviate from my usual method of opening dvds. Case in point would be using a steak knife to open up "Now and Then, Here and There".

Normally I use an X-Acto knife that has a really sharp blade. The only problem with X-Acto knives, is that the glue on the stickers tends to dull the blade fast. Still, it's about the fastest safe way I've found to open DVDs.

Mike

14. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

I don't have that problem with WB cases. That might be because i refuse to buy snapper cases but there you go!

15. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

16. Eric Fisher

Eric Fisher Stunt Coordinator

The paper coverart was just barely poking out from the plastic sheath on my case and when i gently pulled the sticker off, it took the top part of the paper off leaving a white line prominently at the bottom of my case. argh!
    [​IMG]

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

18. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

19. StephanieC

StephanieC Stunt Coordinator

I guess I'm lucky, I ordered my LOTR from Columbia House and it had no security stickers (woo hoo) But I've had stuff strip off from Thirteen Ghosts and Godzilla, and it's perturbing. Sometimes the security stickers only stay on the plastic top of never overlap on the artwork, I wish all types were like that. I'm usually careful but sometimes uglying up your DVD in unavoidable [​IMG]

20. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator