What's new

Anyone else love "Son of the Beach" besides me? (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm sorry, I think that show is hilarious. I don't know that I've ever seen a TV show that made me laugh so hard. It was on hiatus for a while, I guess, but it's coming back now, with new episodes such as "In the Line of Booty" and "Witness for the Prostitution."

But my favorite episode was where BJ is possessed. Freaking hilarious. Especially where she...

...pees on the floor like Linda Blair in The Exorcist, but she keeps peeing and peeing for about 20 seconds. When she's finally done, Jamaica says, "Damn, girl. You gotta stop drinking them Big Gulps."

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I have liked it when I've seen it, but it's on at a time when I don't normally watch TV, and it's been coming and going. I'm hoping for it to come out on DVD. :)

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a fan. Looking forwared to it coming back. Do you have a date? I don't get to hear Stern as much anymore so I haven't heard him mention it.

Rob T

Screenwriter
He hasn't mentioned a date, as far as I know.

I'm personally not a fan of the show. I stuck with it throughout the first season and it just wasn't really for me.

Howard said that FX offered to start putting it on DVD soon after the first season ended, but he said no and that they should wait till there are more seasons.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
ryan_m wrote:
They were originally going to restart it in April 2002, I believe. Now: "All New Season Tuesday, June 18th 10 p.m. e/p"
You should catch Timothy Stack's (Notch Johnson) previous spoof of Jerry Springer, Oprah, Jenny Jones, and the rest, called Night Stand , where Stack as "Dick Dietrick" played host to a panoply of wackos and psychoanalytic "experts", all full of the same kind of one-liners and sexual innuendos that characterize Son of the Beach.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i don't like it. it seems to me to be a poor imitation of AIRPLANE or POLICE SQUAD humor.
but oddly enaiough i did like NIGHT STAND very much.
:)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, just like Jim Carey is not mine. All I know is it makes me laugh. You can't analyze comedy, you either think it's funny or you don't.

Speaking of which, there's quite a funny TV movie coming up. (I've seen it at my video post-production job.) It's called "Fangs," and it's going to be broadcast on one of the cable networks, don't know which one. It's a tongue-in-cheek "killer bats" movie. I thought it was pretty funny.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, just like Jim Carey is not mine. All I know is it makes me laugh. You can't analyze comedy, you either think it's funny or you don't.
i agree with that. some of my friends think airplane and police squad are pure genius, but i also no some who don't think it is funny even a little bit.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Brian W. wrote:

Quote:

You can't analyze comedy, you either think it's funny or you don't.

I don't think that's true. Humor (rather than comedy per se) is predicated on lots of factors. For example:

a) the "surprise" factor (i.e., novelty + unpredictability). If you've heard the joke for the 15th time, it's not as likely to be as funny as if you were hearing it for the first time. And even if you're hearing it for the first time, how similar it seems to what you may have experienced before will be a factor in your ability to anticipate the denouement (the punchline). If the pay-off is predictable, the humor will be DOA. (Ever watch Greg the Bunny?)

b) the "inside" (i.e., shared) knowledge of the audience. For instance, lots of humor is based on punning and presumes the audience can recognize what's being referred to. If I say the new Star Wars movie should've been labelled instead: Send in the Clones!, one's reaction to that statement would well depend in part on one's understanding of what the pun were a take-off of. ("Clones" for a groan???)

c) the timing of the delivery. The joke/gag can't go on to too long or be repetitive in nature. Good "timing" comes with knowing just how much of a build-up to give and when to quit and pay off. Of course, the longer and more complex the build-up, the stronger the pay-off has to be.

Etc.

What is "unanalyzable", if there is such a thing, as well as unpredictable, is the taste of the audience for any given humor.

Old Roman wisdom: "de gustibus non est disputandum 'There's no arguing about (people's) taste(s).'" (which has become garbled in modern America as 'There's no accounting for taste.')

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks