Anyone else love Oldman's performance in Lost in Space?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric T, May 24, 2002.

1. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

I thought he played an almost-perfect Dr. Smith. The original TV Dr. Smith was a little more nervous and less confident, but I just love the crafty, intelligent aura that Gary Oldman projects in this role. Too bad he didn't get more attention for this.

2. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

It's one of the very very few things I like about the movie. Oldman rocks.

3. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

also great in the Fifth Element. I liked LIS well enough, a large part of which was Oldman [​IMG]

4. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I can't remember not liking an Oldman performance. I hated Lost In Space, but his performance was very, very good.

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I loved Oldman's performance. It's Akiva Goldsman's lame one-liners and groan inducing puns I hated.
    Sorry, had to get my daily "I f&%&# hate Akiva!" post out [​IMG]

6. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

"I haven't got time for this mickey mouse bullshit!"

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

LOST IN SPACE was a lost cause, but damn the FX looked pretty good! Oldman raises the bar to anything he is in.

8. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

Just looked on IMDB. Damn, Oldham is NOT in enough movies! I don't think he could every be hurt by over exposure. He already hides in his characters so that you have to have to look deep to find him, and this is ment as a compliment.

Just like the original TV series this was about Dr. Smith, the kids and the robot. I never followed Lacey Chabert from TV but she was a lot of fun to watch here.

Any movie with Mimi Rogers and Heather Graham is worth a look, but if anything draged down this film it was one of the worse miscastings I can remember, William Hurt. This movie was pure camp and everyone else understood that. My opinion of Hurt has changed so much that I can hardly stand to watch him in anything. I'm sure he doesn't care and won't bring up this film unless pressed.

At Oldham can take pride in his crazy campy performance.

9. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Damn he was good in True Romance.

10. Nate Nelson

Nate Nelson Stunt Coordinator

"I haven't got time for this mickey mouse bullshit!"

God I love Oldman in 'The Professional.' I just saw it on DVD for the first time in a long time the other day... ...forgot how great of a movie it was. I really wish he was in more movies...

11. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

I was just watching Lost in Space the other day, and I kept thinking to myself "Man, Gary Oldman just sucks ass here". I love Gary, I think he's great, but I thought his role in LIS was utter crap. Granted, he did play about as well as it could be played, but honestly, all of his dialogue just sucked so badly. Not even Gary could make it fly, but I doubt anyone could have not made it fly better than he did.

12. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I just watched it again last night. I wish they would make another one with the same cast.

13. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Well, Lacey Chabert did grow up QUITE nicely... Bring her back along with Heather Graham and I might go see it [​IMG]

14. Kelly V

Kelly V Stunt Coordinator

He is an enormous Freak - and that's a good thing! LIS is not the first movie that he save from the toilet, and I suspect that it will not be the last. Keep your Marquee players - I'll take the character actors any day!
    [​IMG]

15. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

I've always been impressed with how Oldman is a completely different person from movie to the next, sometimes to the point of being unrecognizable. His diversity and skill are incredible.

16. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

His performance in JFK is amazing! You don't see Gary Oldman playing Lee H., you see Lee H. come to life. And then there's HANNIBAL, where you don't see him at all! He is one of the finest out there.

17. Fred Bang

Fred Bang Stunt Coordinator

Gary Oldman is one the best actor playing today.

His Dracula was outstanding. I really like him in these relatively unknow movies:

- ROMEO IS BLEEDING
    - Dead-End for Delia (Mini Movie in "Fallen Angels")
    - STATE OF GRACE
    - IMMORTAL BELOVED
    - SID AND NANCY

And let's not forget the pure (maybe over the top) rage
    in Leon:

"Get me everyone."
    "WHat do you mean, everyone?"
    "EVERYOOOOOOONE!!!!!"

18. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

I enjoyed Immortal Beloved also. I agree with what most of you are saying: Oldman is one of those actors that is so believable in his roles, he practically disappears. You can't even tell it's him sometimes. Like the good example that Jordan mentioned: Hannibal. I had no idea Mason was played by Oldman until after I'd already seen the movie twice. I couldn't even recognize his voice (and I'm usually very good with recognizing voices on commercials and such). That's the result of total immersion in the character. Let's hope we will continue to see his great work for a long time to come...

19. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

In Dracula I thought he was oustanding as well as True Romance..man can he play a role..err, actually, become the character so well. One of the very best today. Highly underrated IMO. Look at the vast differnces his roles are: compare for example, him in DRACULA and in say...Air Force One. Many wouldn't think he was the same person. Not many actors can do that. In fact, what nationality is he?

20. Aaron Wisner

Aaron Wisner Agent

i believe he is british.