What's new

Anyone else looking forward to "up!", the new Shania Twain album? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I propose new legislation: No more albums called Up. Between Peter Gabriel and Shania Twain, things have been a bit uppity lately. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Doh! See, it's been way too long for a Sarah album, thus I'm getting their names confused!

I'm still digging the country version better (on my way home). The rock version is simply too sterile.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I hear that there is also an "East Asian" version available online and as an international release with the country version.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Yep, looks like the ol' Nashville Music Machine has churned out another sugar-coated piece of unimaginative fluff to keep the stockholders happy.
Anyway.......
I'm going to sound like a real suck-up here but while poking around MIX magazine's site looking for dvd-audio stuff, I came across this article about an album done thirty years by a few (ahem) real country artists. This album was recently remastered from the original tapes with help by Dr. Mark Waldrep, owner of AIX Records. The double CD is now at stores; I saw it at Barnes & Noble two days ago. After hearing how the new Yes "Fragile" dvd-audio sounds after remastering from it's original tapes, I am very curious about this album (I usually enjoy music--of almost any type--that is played/sung/written by people who care about its quality. Hence, me liking Rush, Yes, Groove Armada, Thunderball, big band stuff, (old) George Jones tunes, Emmylou Harris, 311 or the Beastie Boys. Check out the Beastie's "The In Sound From Way Out!" album-you would never believe it's them unless you read the album cover).
The album is called "Will The Circle Be Unbroken"; sound clips from CDNOW.com: http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID.../ITEMID=327686
The MIXonline remastering article. It's very interesting & not just for country fans either:
http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_circle...oken/index.htm
BTW: if you want to hear some super slick pop music--but with substance--try the Supreme Beings of Leisure. They were once considered as candidates for playing a James Bond movie theme. I like their first album best; the new one (includes a DVD w/ four 5.1 remixes) has a little too much disco in it.:
http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID...itemid=1159395
LJ

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone think of Abba's "Dancing Queen" when they hear "C'est la vie" on this new Shania album? :D

John Torrez

Second Unit
I'm glad they included two versions of the album. I like listening to both of them. And for 9.99 at Wal-Mart you can't beat that.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
all i can say is that the word "up" definitely applies when i think of shania....
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Since I'm the originator of this thread, I guess I need to go out and buy this album pronto. :) Does the K-Mart version come with 2 CDs too?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
According to Shania's website, all Naorth American copies are two discs with red and green mixes, while Europe gets red and blue mixes. With each version running 73+ minutes, it isn't a bad deal at all, and there are some very catchy tunes there.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But there were some dreadful tunes in there as well. I would call it a mixed bag, a case of throwing spaghetti on the wall and seeing what stuck.
FYI, Wal-Mart is selling a $6.44 DVD that features 5 videos, plus the new video "Gonna Getcha Good" by Shania on Friday (tomorrow).

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Well... I guess I'm going to be braving a trip to Wal-Mart tomorrow. Out here, in Central Texas, that's a frightening excursion.

-Mike...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure where MickeS got the song list, but there are differences from the one in the initial post of this thread and the one that has been released in North America:

1. Up! - possible single
2. I'm Gonna Getcha (Good) - is a single
3. Not Just Another Pretty Face - possible single
4. Juanita - Spanish guitar vibe, okay.
5. Forever and for Always - a bit too sappy.
6. Ain't No Particular Way - sounds recycled.
7. It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing - more sappy.
8. Nah! - derivatively familiar
9. (Wanna Get To Know You) That Good! - so-so, but possible late single.
10. C'est La Vie - shades of "Dancing Queen", but funny lyrics.
11. I'm Jealous - so-so
12. Ka-Ching - Reminded me of "Money" at the begining. Consumerism gone amok.
13. Thank You Baby! (For Making Someday Come So Soon) - Overblown and familiar.
14. Waiter! Bring Me Water! - A little too cute.
15. What A Way To Wanna Be! - Reminded me of "She Bop" but good bouncy tune.
16. I Ain't Goin' Down! - Music video material (tells a story)
17. I'm Not in the Mood (To Say No) - possible single (sounds like a Billy Ocean song "Get into my car")
18. In My Car (I'll Be The Driver) - just a goofy song with the patented Foreigner guitar riff.
19. When You Kiss Me - way too slow and syrupy for my taste (If I was holding a fork, I'd hope someone would put a cork on it, or I'd hurt myself while listening to this song).

So, there's a possible 7 songs that I'd release as singles.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Patrick's list is closer, but has some misplaced exclamation marks, and a few other minor things.

Ka-ching reminds you of money because they ripped off the samples from the beginning of the Floyd track!

There are way more than 7 singles on here, I'd say at least 13 of the 19. I wouldn't be surprised if they all were released as singles, especially if she does any extensive touring.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As I said, it depends on whether she does extensive touring, and how long it will be until the next record. I figure a new video every three months for the next 3 or four years, which would coincide with a single. The material is there, original or not.
As for unheard of, take a look at Shania's sales history - also unheard of. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks