Anyone else like the new Twilight Zone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Lenhardt, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

While I thought Forest Whitaker was a poor substitute for Rod Sterling (although much better than no host ala the 80's version) and the alteration of the theme for the main titles was horrible, I was pleasantly surprised with the show's content.

The first half was something you'd expect from the newest incarnation of the Outer Limits... more interesting than most stuff on TV, but not close to par to the original series episodes. It seemed to me to be one cup 1984, one cup Soylent Green, stir and pour into a half-hour bowl.

The second half was much, much better. If this is indicative of what we can expect for the rest of the series, then they have me hooked. When Death (played by Jason Alexander as a more somber, reflective version of George Castanza) gets depressed and tries to commit suicide, he ends up in a hospital under the care of a new doctor driven to his profession by the death of his mother. The doctor doesn't believe him at first, but slowly the pieces fall together and he is forced to believe. What I enjoyed was the fact that they held off in showing any special effects until after we (as an audience) and Dr. Ferguson already believed Alexander's character to be death. Even then, what special effects there were were minimal and subtle. Episode writer Christopher Mack's take on death was several degrees more interesting that that featured in Meet Joe Black. This is the kind of television that's been sorely lacking as of late, in my opinion.

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I dunno...
    I thought the first segment was horrible - hamfisted, trite & obvious.
    The second segment was better, mainly due to Alexander's performance. The story really didn't go anywhere, however, and the "twist" ending was visible as soon as
    the doctor starting complaining about headaches.
    I was disappointed in Whitaker as well. Serling had a certain gravity that just isn't there in Whitaker yet. I think you need an older personality (say Morgan Freeman or Clint Eastwood) to pull it off.
    In the end, it all comes down to the writing. If it doesn't improve soon, I believe this latest incarnation of "The Twilight Zone" will soon show up in Death's little black book. [​IMG]

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i thought the first part was boring andd not interesting even a little bit. the second part i liked. it seemed more of a type of nod to and old movie that is my favorite movie by the way called "on borrowed time"
    on borrowed time
    not on dvd.

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I'll give it a few more chances. I expected something way worse than I saw tonight. Not great, but not terrible.

5. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I thought the show was pretty good. Forrest wasnt too bad except for the first time he did his thing. Guess its first time jitters. But the rest of the time he was good.
    The first story was below average , but the second one was excellent. Not every story of the TW was terrific. Hopefully the first story is just one of those . Cant wait to see next weeks.

6. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

The first episode to me was anti-Twilight Zone, with its ending vision of a tyrannical conformity. I agree the second episode was much better but that the "twist" was hardly surprising.

With both episodes, though, it didn't seem like they set them up well. The writers give everything away within the first five minutes. I think the 1st episode could have been better if the girl only gradually finds out what has happened, rather than it being laid out to her as soon as she gets here.

As for the second episode, had the doctor's mother still been alive, it might have lent much more weight to his decision if he had to choose between letting his mother die and ending the burn-victims' suffering or keeping her alive at their expense.

Hopefully, this isn't the best they have to offer. A very tepid start.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Some things are best left unsaid and undone. The Twilight Zone was perfect for its era, and Rod Serling was the writer for the job. It is both timeless and of its time.

This thing we saw last night is sooo 21st century. The subtlety and nuance that made original TZ so resonant are completely lacking here.

I wasn't disappointed for the simple reason I wasn't expecting much.

8. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

True, Jack, but I never expect much from UPN, so it was an easy distraction to take on a Wednesday night.

9. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

The first episode would have been better if it had been told from the sister's point of view. They should have had showed her ratting out her sister as a way to try and help her, but then have her ultimately discover the truth.

That would have been much more horrific.

10. Todd Terwilliger

Jodee,

I agree. That definitely would have been a better angle.

It just seems like Serling was able to take an idea and really move it to its logical conclusion (even if extreme) and take it from a new perspective. With this, the ideas are there but they aren't elevated. They're happy to simply present them. I think a driven mind (like Serling's) is missing that could elevate the material and give this show direction and fire.

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Seemed like it was simply half hour episodes of the X-Files, but without Mulder and Scully to rescue the people involved.

I'm also pissed at the Star Trek preview for ruining some of the BIG moments of the film. Directors should be able to control what leaks out in the trailers.

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

13. Todd Terwilliger

Tony,

I'd not seen that film. I'll have to check it out. It sounds every interesting.

14. Adam Lenhardt

Tonight's lineup featured the first real Twilight Zone style episode... the first half, despite some rather forced racial issues seemed more in line with the moral issues Sterling used to try to convey on the original. It was interesting in seeing a very whitebred man realize all the small little inconviences that black people suffer from due to unintentional stereotyping.

The second half was rather weak. It seemed like a copout to me. Hopefully, next week will have better material.

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And, guess what? That first story was written by Ira Stephen Behr, the guy who ran DS9 during its last 4-5 seasons and the one who piqued my interest in this series in the first place.

16. Todd Terwilliger

I totally forgot it was on tonight. Anyone care to encapsulate the two stories? Was this one better than last week's?

17. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Tonight episodes were more of the original twilight zone style but i like the first one a lot more then the 2nd.

Capt

18. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Adam Lenhardt wrote:

19. Russ Lucas

Russ Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I didn't really enjoy either of the two episodes they showed last week, but I liked the second one better than the first.

The first episode's theme is, in no uncertain terms, a fairly blatant rip-off of the theme explored in the Vic Morrow segment of the TZ movie. Why in the world they would want to revisit that sort of theme given the terrible history of that earlier segment is beyond me.

To work and break new ground like the first show did, this show has to be about the uncertain future and the new places we'll go in the human heart. It's not there by a long shot.

Poor Forrest Whitaker is sitting in a pretty big shadow. I think they should have gone with a quirkier host, personally, but...

20. Adam Lenhardt