Anyone else irritated by the NEXTEL walkie-talkie *CHIRP*?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Inspector Hammer!, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    First off, I love technology, I don't hate ipods or cell phones, I think they're great ideas and very conveniant, I feel naked and adrift in the world without my cell.

But those damn NEXTEL two-way walkie talkies. [​IMG]

First, I see no point in them, with the advent of cell phones, why on Earth would one opt to purchase a device that allows other people hear their entire conversation? [​IMG]

The only scenario that I can see where these would be useful is for work sites so that the bosses and employees can keep in touch with one another on site, but in public?

Second, the dreaded double *CHIRPING*ing sound they make. I must hear this sound at least 4 times a day, sometimes more (those are counted as whole sessions BTW, and not individual chirps), when I go to work. Why does it make that sound anyway is what i'd like to know, is it to let you know to talk or to let the other person know to talk? [​IMG]

Cell's are smaller, more discrete and most importantly they are...*silent*, except when they ring of course, but at least most people have catchy tunes or jingles as their ring tone.

Eh, okay, rant of the day ended.

[​IMG]

2. Ken CG

Ken CG Agent

Eh, you'd have to own one to understand. [​IMG] The 2-way doesn't use any minutes up and is convenient for very quick conversations. They do have a privacy mode, but some people choose not to use it. I use it if I'm out in public and don't want people hearing my conversation. I try not to make it a bother to other people. So far, I like Nextel and I think I'm gonna stick with it. One drawback I see is that they use a much different frequency and it screws up any electronics nearby. It makes the TV and computer monitors go nuts. If you have a device with a speaker, whether it's a stereo, telephone, keyboard (piano type), or a guitar amp, you'll normally hear it pop some kind of digital code. It can get annoying and hope they'll eventually do something about this.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I find those things to be incredibly annoying. I understand they have their place in life. For instance, I used to live in an apartment building where the maintenance guys would all use those to communicate with one another -- that made sense. But it does drive me nuts to listen to people have entire conversations with them.

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Depends on your plan - we used them at my former employer and were given a monthly allocation of 2-way minutes - which are billed in 6 second increments. But I think a lot of the higher priced and consumer plans are offered with the free option.

5. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Niether does calling anyone else who uses the same carrier that I do. I have created speed dial keys for the people I talk to regularly, so initiating a conversation consists of pressing one key and holding it for 2 seconds. Very quick and convenient.

I alwasy thought of the whole 2-way thing as a gimmick.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I can't stand the walkie-talkies. It drives me crazy, and there is no blocking built in. You can configure a Nextel phone to not accept calls from people who aren't in your address book, but if someone gets ahold of your radio number, they can harrass you until you go insane.

My work gave me a nextel for free. I couldn't stand the chirping, or the invasion of the walkie-talkie into my privacy. You can always choose not to answer the phone. If someone pages you, the Nextel will keep making noise until you flush it. I gave the Nextel back, and returned to paying for my own cellular service.

7. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Yup, like hearing one side of the conversation isn't bad enough. And John, ironically that is the slang term for them here in L.A. e.g. "Hey man, just CHIRP me."

I want to ram my head into a frikkin' wall.

For some reason though, what was once a near epidemic here has died down immensely. I guess those jabber-jaws didn't pay their damn bill.

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

True, it used to be worse.

--
    H

9. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

The slang term here in Georgia is "bump", at least with the contractors that built my house. They were very useful during that time, if I had a question while the supervisor was there he would "bump" whomever to get the answer almost immediately. People just using these things for the hell of it bug me to no end though.

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"But those damn NEXTEL two-way walkie talkies.

First, I see no point in them, with the advent of cell phones, why on Earth would one opt to purchase a device that allows other people hear their entire conversation?"

I got my first cellphone last year.I used to have Nextel. A friend worked for them and I got the phone for free and like 50% off my bills.

You can speak walkie talkie to other nextel phones. Its actually very convenient becuase its not aphone call, so you dont pay for it,and its a option for those of us who dont want to walk around like a dork with a peice of hardware strapped to our ears(Last year I had to take calls often while driving). Since I only used my cellphone to talk to a few peopel and they all had Nextel I had a nonexistant bill, it 90% quick walkie talkie conversations.

I got rid of it because the service went to hell once they joined Sprint.

11. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

What annoys me is when people say "over and out" and "10-4" and say "1 to base" and stuff. It's like they are pretending to be in the mitlitary on a mission or something.
    Like Ken said, the speaker can be turned off and set to vibrate. Also, speed dial or not you cannot talk to anybody in the world in under 2 seconds like you can with direct connect. Plus with the newer version "Direct Talk", your phone will function like a true walkie talkie even if you are in a non-coverage area.
    Keep in mind, Nextel was created for the business side of life. Construction workers, delivery drivers, police, etc... They are just now trying to branch to the individual user.
    Obviously it's not that dumb of an idea since everybody else is scrambling to copy it.

12. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson

[​IMG] That's what I like to call people releasing their inner BJ and the Bear.

I half expect to hear someone any day now say..."That's a big 10-4 good buddy, I reckin' you got a smokey all over your back door, what's your handle, over and out."

{{music}}East bound and down, loaded up and truckin', we gonna do what they say can't be done..."{{/music}}

[​IMG]

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Oh my GOD! I LOATHE that noise! It hits the back of my spine between my upper back and the base of my skull!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The worse part is, I just did a TON of Windows Media Files that were commercials for Nextel and they all end with that noise! AHHHHH!!! I had to listen to it all day!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! Please make it stop in the most violent way possible!!!!!!! Yeah, that's definitely it. Using it on a construction site is probably well worth it, but the guy I saw at Wal-Mart, was UN-FREAKIN-NECESSARY! You don't need to annoy the hell out of me with your walkie-talkie when you're buying light bulbs!!!!!!!

The sad thing is, if I were to bash his skull in with an aluminum bat, I'D be the one who was in the wrong [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Winner winner Chicken Dinner!

Honestly it doesn't bother me one bit.

15. ChrisHeflen

Scheeze Mark! Deal...

To me hearing "Can you hear me now" is so much worse. People use it for eveything now!! [​IMG]

I'll show you can you hear me now...bend over!

16. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I'm guilty of the "Can you hear me now?" thing, however it's usually a variation on it like "Hello, are you there?" or "Can you hear me okay?"

It sucks, but honestly, what else should I say when i'm having a conversation with someone and the cell's go wacky in the middle of a sentence?

17. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Why? It's annoying and extremely rude.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

That's a cell phone.

Worst technological innovation ever!

19. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    When I had Cingular, I despised that sound, after the storm we had here (katrina) nothing cellular would work unless you drove at least 50 miles out where towers were still standing except, you guessed it, Nextel. So, after at least 15 years with Cingular (I had a BRICK phone!)I told them to shove their service and went to nextel. Like the others have posted, don't hate the sound, hate the inconsiderate person that refuses to turn the speakerphone OFF, yes, their on speakerphone, just like at work. [​IMG] I do find it odd that now Cingular is jumping on the band wagon too, even with the same chirp! [​IMG] BTW-I really find it annoying when your in a nice resturant and I hear the chirp and them responding back, kinda like a cell ringing while I am at the show [​IMG]

Have some respect for the people next to you!

20. ChrisHeflen

That's because Nextel put up temporary sites for emergency purposes since alot or ERT among others, use their phones.
    Now what a stupid mother F$%^ing company, to go caring about people like that. They should have taken their damn chirping phones and left like everybody else did!