What's new

Anyone else interested in the Princess and the Warrior (1 Viewer)

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I haven't seen this film from Tom Tykwer of Run, Lola, Run fame. But, I have had the chance of seeing a previous film Winter Sleepers and was suitably impressed. Tykwer is a great technical director and very inventive even with more pedestrian material as is the case with Winter Sleepers.

I've noticed a january 29th release date for the princess and the warrior, and so I'm interested if anyone has seen this film and what impressions you might have on this film.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the film, but I've been waiting for the DVD. I enjoyed Run Lola Run so much I'm willing to give this one a try. Sounded interesting when I heard about it on NPR.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Run Lola Run is one of my favorite films, so a month ago, I pre-ordered the DVD sight unseen. I heard nothing but great reviews about the film, so hopefully I'll end up enjoying it.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
If you enjoy Tykwer's films, you will have no problem enjoying The Princess and the Warrior. It got some mixed reviews because I assume critics were expecting something with Run Lola Run kinetic pacing.

Doesn't hurt the PatW dvd is loaded as well.

Doug

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Here in Germany I just bought the 2-DVD-set - I will let you guys know how it is - haven't seen the movie myself due to some lack of time, hehe. ;)
Still, WINTER SLEEPERS is his best work to date - we'll see if that opinion keeps up after watching DER KRIEGER UND DIE KAISERIN, which is the original title. ;)
Sebastian. :)

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator
I saw The Princess And The Warrior in the theater and I own the German DVD. PATW is a slower film than Run Lola Run. I didn't mind that at all, but it's good to have the right expectations I guess. This is a more subtly emotional film than RLR and it's also over 2 hours.
The German DVD does not have English subtitles, so bear that in mind. It does have some visible EE as well (viewed on my 21" Sony CRT running 720x576 @100Hz on my Radeon equipped HTPC). The US version seems to have the same specs, but is on one DVD (The German release was a 2 disc SE). Hopefully Columbia's version will be as good as their Run Lola Run DVD, although their transfer of Anotomie (another German film with Franka Potente) was not reference quality, imho. I eagerly await the 29th. ;)

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I preordered it as well. One of my favorite films of the year. I liked Run Lola Run, but I believe this to be a better film.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this at the theater when it was playing here and enjoyed it. It was a bit slower paced than Run Lola Run, but nonetheless I liked it tremendously. I'll be buying the DVD once it comes out.

Andrej

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully, I'll see princess and the warrior at my local b&m's here in Canada, but the track record has not been good of late for catalog titles or films off the beaten track. Still can't find Seconds or Phropecy locally, had a devil of a time locating Now Voyager, no luck with the 1934 version of Little Women, and online in Canada sucks. Our dollar stinks, customs has been clamping down, so I'm reluctant to use amazon or other u.s. sites. Oh, the hoops a canadian film collector has to jump through to locate his favorite film at a reasonable price.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how widely this is going to be ordered. Being a Tykwer film, I am dying to see it...but I'm not sure about blind purchases anymore. I guess I'll have to cross my fingers and hope one of the local rental outlets orders it.

Bruce

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
This one would have to be a possible rental for me, since it is directed by the same person that did Run Lola Run. I bought Run Lola Run "blind" without knowing much about it. When I watched it, I wasn't impressed about showing the same theme three different ways. I know a lot of people liked it. So, I'll have to go back and watch it again some day to see if I get any more out of it.:b

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
2 things to expect from POTW

1) Same "love conquers all" type theme centered around Franka.

2) A deliberate slowing down of the pace. This film goes to the other end almost. As mentioned above it is more subtle. The film is still very touching and thoughtful. It's been in my top 10 all year since I saw it in the summer.

There is some crime in the film, so don't think it's just a romance. The characters are just as colorful as RLR, IMHO.

My only problem with the film...the LONNNNNGGGG pull out shot at the end of the film. It was really awkward waiting for the credits to hit. I don't know what Tykwer was thinking with that, but there was this extended pause in the crowd as we all waited for the "other shoe to drop", ie. the credits to begin. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks