Anyone else here dislike Disney films besides me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay E, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Not only do I dislike animated Disney films (this does not include Pixar), but I dislike their animated shorts too. Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck...the whole gang bores me to tears. Mickey Mouse has got to be the blandest cartoon character ever created.
    Ever since I was a little kid, I hated Disney shorts & films. I would much rather watch the Warner gang of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck (my favorite, especially his early years), Road Runner... etc. My mother took me to see The Sword & the Stone as a reissue and I actually asked my mother if we could leave in the middle of the film. I know The Sword in the Stone is not one of their best but it's like that for all their films.
    In know I'm in the minority of society in saying these blasphemous things, but then again I'm in the minority for most of the things I like or dislike.
    Anyone else here feel the same?

2. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

Oh boy do I agree. I've never understood the appeal of ANYTHING Disney and have always loved the WB characters much more. Might have something to do with the fact that I'm a smartass, but I just cannot stand the Mouse, although I do realize that most of their animated features are technically excellent.

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

4. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Having just seen the IMAX rerelease of Beauty and the Beast, I can say that I strongly dislike it. It's a severely overrated film. And I like to think I don't have a block of ice for a heart.

Nothing against Disney overall, I just find their post Little Mermaid musical formula very boring. Emperor's New Groove was a nice change of pace.

Mark

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

6. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

As long as disney doesn't try to follow history its OK.

IE movies about historical events. They usually don't have their facts straight and they butcher the history corrupting childerens minds for the rest of thier life.

most of thier older movies are entertaining, though. I didn't realize Rememebr the Titans was a Dsiney production till the end and was shocked as that was a good movie.

However when it comes to cartoon WB and Jap. Animation rule (Jap Anime more than WB). I never disliked the disney characters but also never looked for them on the tube.

7. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

Beauty and the Beast I didn't like. Very overrated film.

8. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Ya know, Some of the early Disney films aren't what I remember. Maybe my opinion changed when I had kids. We got Pinocchio as the free movie with snow white. Snow White on it's own is pretty much okay for my little guy. He's two and a half. Other than a few points where I have to skip ahead because the queen's transformation is rather scary, on the whole it's okay.
    But Pinocchio...I sold it.
    Let's see:
    Skipping school, smoking cigars, drinking, vandalism, A very scary whale, the transformation to the donkey is terrifying for little kids. Stromboli is extremely scary and locks Pinocchio in a cage. The guy who runs pleasure island is creepy as well.
    Other than a few tunes that are very memorable. Disney's presentation of Pinocchio is not appropriate (in my opinion) for little kids under that age of 8. There's stuff in there that nobody would put to film these days in a child's animated full length feature. For little kids, all they see is the images, the morale is lost on them. Pinocchio is is a great movie for scarring little kids straight, but I really wonder what the animators and story tellers thought they were doing? There are some horrific images (from the perspective of a 2 year old). Pinocchio is not how I remember it. Like I said, as a parent I look at things with a much different perspective. If you liked these movies, I'm happy for you. These are just observations of mine based on experience when my child was watching with me. Personally, I'll stick with Little Bear, Caillou, Bob the Builder, Blues' Clues. These promote, cooperation, sharing, imagination, creativity. I haven't seen anything from the Disney Juggernaut lately that does anything like that (maybe Winnie the Pooh...but being from Winnipeg I have to like anything Winnipeg the Pooh [​IMG] ). Films from Disney that I did like: Alladin, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King (stolen or not I still liked it), Tarzan, Pocahontos (sp.). Not all of these are necessarily okay for a 2 yr old either, I just liked those movies.
    BTW...just because someone doesn't get a warm fuzzy feeling for a movie that you liked doesn't mean they have a "block of ice for a heart". That's a rather opinionated thing to say...I think.

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, let's get one thing out of the way:

There is absolutely no question that Disney is one of the greatest innovators, if not the greatest, in animation. It was they who pioneered successfully associating animation with music, invented new ways of relating to the camera with the pictures, etc.

But if you're talking about the stories, well of course they're good guy - bad guy simplistic things. After all, aren't these geared towards children?

When I was a kid, I liked this stuff. Now I don't. As I mature, so must my entertainment. If I ever have a kid, I'd have no problem showing it a Disney movie.

10. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Well, I used to hate all Disney except for The Jungle Book. Now I mainly just dislike the animated shorts.
    Don't care for Snow White, but that's a film that hasn't aged well IMHO.

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I don't dislike all of them, but I do dislike some of them.
    Snow White, Fox & the hond and The Rescuers Down Under are great movies though. [​IMG]

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

13. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I hate any production Walt didn't make

and I'm not buying any animated DVDs until I see Osamu Tezuka's name on The Lion King. Original Production my ass

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

16. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Disney is no where near the greatest in animation. They might have pioneered it but they've been left behind.

If I remember correctly Pinnochio was taught that that sort of stuff was bad. That Lying is bad. These are some of the core values I would think a parent would want instilled in thier kid.

I don't care one way or another about how people raise their kids, I was just alittle shocked at the reasoning behind not allowing it. To each his own I guess.

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This thread took guts to start. But I'll chime in and say that I too am a philistine and have never understood the appeal of the classic Disney animated films.

I will concede their importance to the genre and to film as a whole, but I've never liked any of them. To make matters worse, I was one of those types who always thought Fantasia is best appreciated while under the influence of at least 250 micrograms of d-lysergic acid diethylamide tartrate.

So there.

18. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

19. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

I'm Not a big fan of any of the new Disney movies. (New meaning Little Mermaid on). They are just too pretentious for me. I don't care for the caracters. And it's the same story over and over again. Not literally but the theme is always Overcoming great obsticales.

THe films of disney that I do like are ALice in Wonderland (Best drug movie period), the Black Cauldren, FAntasia, and Dumbo.

I got the Fantasia Anthology and I'm thinking of selling Fantasia 2000. I haven't made my final desicion yet. Nothing but flying.

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I thought the Hunchback of Notre Dame was a pretty harsh movie for kids. There was the one song where the villain sings about how he lusts for the girl, and a whole bunch of other heavy stuff. Not that I care one way or the other.