Anyone else heard or have the Rotel RSX-1065

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ariel, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

made a search for this receiver here and found only one short review. how does this compare with other flagship receivers? i cannot demo this unit because it needs to be pre-ordered.

2. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

bump.

3. Andre Perusse

Andre Perusse Auditioning

I haven't had a chance to listen to the 1065 personally, but the local Rotel dealer here is now using it as a pre-pro for their main demo room (a 106-inch front-projection system). They're using an RMB-1095 for most of the amplification though I'm not sure what they're driving their two other channels with.
    The sales manager there told me it's one of the best receivers he's heard, and it'll easily replace other receivers he sells for $1000 more.
    Sorry that I don't have any more info.
    Cheers,
    Andre
    Halifax Home Theatre Club
    http://hhtc.duotronic.com

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have heard the unit many times and helped set it up for someone. The only other unit I have heard next to it was a Marantz (SR-18 and 19). I thought the Rotel was a drop better on theater and clearly better on music. I have a little problem with recommending any receiving that is $1995 list and typically is sold by dealers for $1895. For that kind of $, you can also consider separates. If you don't need all the features in the 1065 and want Rotel, you can almost get the less expensive receiver and their 5x120 power amp for that price and if you decide to upgrade down the road you have more flexability. It depends on your needs and the space that you have. It is also not uncommon in a few months for Rotel to have specials where if you buy and the amp and preamp they may give you a package that won't come to much more than the receiver, so it also depends on your timing.

5. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I agree with Phil, for the $ and staying with Rotel you could get the RSP 985 pre/pro, but then of course you still need a 5 ch pwer amp for about another $1000. Which may be out of your budget.

Brent.

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I just got a RMB-1075 about a month ago (and I love it). I am currently using a Yamaha 995 as a preamp. Does anyone know if Rotel is coming out with a preamp that does 7.1, and all of the decoding options (DPLII, DTS ES and EX, etc)?

Thanks for the help.

7. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I was told to expect a serious update to the RSP 985 early in 2002. Don't know what it will be though but ya gotta think it would be things like 7.1and Prologic II etc

8. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info. The Anthem AVM-20 unit looks really tempting. but the dealer I bought the Yamaha from, also carries Rotel (but not anthem), so I can trade in the Yamaha for a bit of a discount on the Rotel unit.

9. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

thanks to everyone. im considering the rsx1065 in my next upgrade (maybe early next year). it sells here for about $1350. i currently have the onkyo575 and i think that this will be a big improvement in both ht and music. the HK avr8000 also seems to be a good receiver only that they haven't released it yet and i think that it will be much more expensive.

10. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

I think the RSX-1065 would be a great receiver, and the amplification would be comparable to a separate multi-channel poweramp. Plus, the 1065 receiver does have Dolby Pro Logic II. I would have bought one but my local dealer wasn't interested when I asked him if he'd order me one for $1600 (list is $1995).

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer cost is $1200 to $1300? why not make $300-$400 profit for picking up the phone and placing an order? If he had it in stock and I was able to demo the unit, I could have seen paying more for it. His point was that he doesn't get as much of a discount if he only orders 1 unit.

11. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

thanks larryb for the info. i will try to wait for the 1065-based pre-pro. i still have some upgrades to make to keep me busy early next year.

12. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

The UK mags like HiFi Choice and What HiFi rave about the Rotel RSX-965 and give it 5 out of 5 stars, liking how it does the basics very well (5.1 instead of 6.1 or 7.1) and how it's the best sounding receiver for 2 channel stereo they've tested. Therefore, you'd think the 1065 would be even better as it has more power (and weighs about 50% more). I think a lot of Rotel dealers don't stock the 1065 because of it's higher price.

13. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I VERY seriously almost bought a RSX-1065 after demoing it. If the dealer had one to actually sell that day I probably would have walked out the door with it. It sounded great, looked great, and had every bell and whistle that I was interested in. The problem? The price. I could not justify $2000 on a receiver, period. For an additional $400 you could go with a Rotel pre-pro and an amp, and trade up in 6 months when a more current feature set Rotel pre-pro comes out. I just wasn't ready to spend that kind of money yet. I have B&W 600 series 2 speakers, and don't feel that matching seperates with this line is realistic. If I had the $ to afford 802's or 804's I would then go seperates.
    I ended up going with a Marantz SR-8200 for $1399 and haven't regretted it. Maybe one day, when I hit the mid-life crisis stage I'll go the Rotel/B&W 800 series route instead of buying a convertible to cruise the high schools with! [​IMG]
    Good luck with your decision, and don't look back when you finally make it, just enjoy!!
    Pete