What's new

Anyone else having problems playing Criterion's Spellbound? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Douglas,

I ordered my copy from Amazon about 10 days ago before I knew there was a playability issue, so as of then, they still had first printing discs.

If there is anyone out there who wants to exchange their first printing disc who is outside North America I'm willing (I'm sure others are too) to send it in for you and send the replacement whereever you are.

If anyone is interested in having me do that for them, you can PM or email me.

Matt

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
It took an email reminding them I sent
in the original cover as requested and
Criterion was slow in shipping out the
replacement.
After the follow up, they mailed out the
replacement by Media Mail.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
According to a post at DVDTalk there are problems with the second printing disc not playing properly. I don't know if this is an isolated incident or there are still a few players not compatible with the disc. In my case the second printing DVD of Spellbound played fine. Here is the link to the thread at DVDTalk regarding second printing difficulties loading and playing.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Douglas, if you get a first pressing, I'd say you should be able to get a replacement from the online store you bought it from. That's basically what I did.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I want to order this over the net but how do I know if I will get the second pressing. If I get the first pressing and it doesn't play on my Toshiba I'll be stuck because Criterion won't send replacement discs outside of North America. Has anyone obtained the second pressing from any website suppliers?
Above quote was from me. I have now received SPELLBOUND from dvdboxoffice and it is identified as the second pressing and plays fine on my Toshiba. Many thanks to those HTF members who offered to request a replacement on my behalf.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Above quote was from me. I have now received SPELLBOUND from dvdboxoffice and it is identified as the second pressing and plays fine on my Toshiba. Many thanks to those HTF members who offered to request a replacement on my behalf.
I keep popping into DVD Planet's store in Huntington Beach in hopes of finding the second printing...but all they have is a surplus of the first printing.
Besides Douglas' above mentioned DVDBoxOffice.com does anyone know of any other online places that carry the corrected version? I prefer to go with DVD Planet because of their price, but I don't know if their online supplier has a different printing than their store... :frowning:

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Well this thread cleared up a problem I was having as I bought it the other day and it doesn't play on my cheap Oritron DVD player, but plays fine on my computer DVD-ROM player, so I guess I should hang on to it and hope that the player I upgrade to one day will be compatible with this.

BTW one word of advice to Criterion. Don't *ever* hire Marian Keane to do a commentary track again! Why anyone thinks that two hours of psycho-babble about every shot in a movie and zero about the production details is something I will never understand for as long as I live.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Eric,
E-mail [email protected] and they will send you a replacement with the corrected version. They will give you an address for you to send them back the artwork from the DVD case (just the artwork, not the disc or case), and they will IMMEDIATELY send you back a new copy (artwork, disc and all).
I mailed them on a Saturday, and I received my replacement by the following Saturday!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just received Spellbound as part of the "Wrong Men & Notorious Women" collection. The disc failed to play in either my Panasonic RP-91 or my PC's DVD-ROM drive -- the disc just spins. According to the back cover, this disc is from the second printing, not the first one which had known problems.

I sent an email to Criterion about the matter.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I too received my copy of Spellbound as part of the "Wrong Men and Notorious Women" set and it will not play on my mother's Apex DVD player. I have not tried it yet in my Pioneer DV-45A but I will when I get back home today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks