What's new

Anyone else having problems playing Criterion's Spellbound? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
:frowning: I just received Criterion's Spellbound and popped it in the player. Unfortunately, it wouldn't work - the player (a Toshiba 3109) kept trying to load the disc with no success. This is the first time I've had a problem playing a CC disc. Anyone else having problems or is my disc just faulty? :frowning:

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Take it back...mine played perfectly.
FYI, I did have to return my Hard Day's Night disk because of a manufacturing defect that caused a 2 minute jump in one of the documentaries. New one's fine.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
That must be a real bummer. My Spellbound CC plays just fine, but then again I am using a different (Panasonic) player. Maybe someone with the Toshiba 3109 DVD player can confirm that there is no player-specific problem.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Take it back...mine played perfectly.
That's the hard part - I ordered it from Amazon. While I'm sure they'll take it back, it's still a hassle. :frowning:
I think I'll hold off on making a decision until I know if it's a player-specific problem. Anyone?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
my problem is i couldnt find it.

i would like to know if it includes the one frame that is colorized. if you have seen it you know what it is. it is a major plot spoiler so i won't say what it is or should anyone else.
just say yes or know if it is there.
thanks.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this disc supposed to have an isolated music/effects track (a la REBECCA)? I would've sworn that it did, but the online reviews I've seen make no mention of it.
For the record, I don't have it yet. :angry: And yeah, it's killin' me! :D

Rob Ray

Agent
I am having the same problem with my copy of Spellbound and I have two Toshiba players. I don't know the model numbers offhand, but one is a 1998 model 310x and the other one is a progressive scan model I bought at Costco within the last six months.

I replaced my copy of Spellbound with another from DVDPlanet and it still won't play. For the record, both copies play fine in DVD Planet's machine, so I suspect that this particular disc pressing doesn't work in many Toshiba machines, which is pretty much what they guy at DVD Planet says. According to him, there was only a single pressing of this title and all copies will likely have the same problem. Therefore, my only recourse is a store credit or buy another DVD player.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Same problem. Criterion is aware and are looking into it. If you would like to add your name to the list of people who have problems with this disc, go to criterionco.com and let Jon Mulvaney know.

Jimmy

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Jimmy, thanks - I'll do that. Hopefully, Criterion will work something out.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Mine's as dead as a doornail on my Toshiba 3108. I've never experienced anything like this on my near 400 DVDs. The player just keeps spinning and it says "LOADING" on the screen but nothing ever comes up. I'll try contacting Criterion, otherwise I'll try returning it to DVDPlanet and get my money back, since I'm not going to buy a new player in order to make one disc work.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Well, I just took my copy that didn't work on my Toshiba 3108, and tried it on my roommates Toshiba SD-1200. I didn't think that it was going to load, as it took quite a while and then suddenly it loaded, so it doesn't appear to be a problem on all Toshiba players.

I submitted a technical problem on Criterion's website and suggest anyone else who is having this problem to do so also.

debi_lee

Stunt Coordinator
We just heard from Criterion this morning that are aware that indeed, Toshibas and a few others are having problems and there will be a second pressing to resolve these issues.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Rats, I guess I'll have to wait for the second pressing, as I also own a Toshiba player.

Kudos to Criterion though for correcting the problem!

Jeremy_Z

Agent
I played this disc on the Toshiba sdk610 and it played fine. However, it is a little slow when selecting from the menu. Rebecca does the same thing though.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
debi, thanks for the news - I emailed Criterion but haven't heard anything from them. Are they going to set up an exchange program after the second pressing is complete?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Lars, I've ONLY had problems with Spellbound and one other DVD (the documentary Ralph McQuarrie - Illustrator). Otherwise, my Toshiba 3109 works just fine.

Anyway, I just received an email from Jon Mulvaney of Criterion in which he states:

It has come to our attention that our recent release of SPELLBOUND is displaying compatibility problems with a small number of DVD players. We are currently investigating this trouble and should arrive at a solution in the next two weeks. When the trouble has been resolved, I will contact you with information regarding an exchange.
Looks like they're on the ball. If you've got a problematic DVD, I suggest that you get in touch with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks