What's new

anyone else have trouble getting DolbyDigital EX with LOTR on their processor? (1 Viewer)

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
I can't get Dolby Digital EX playback with this dvd on my receiver. DD works fine but not EX. Anyone else having this issue?

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
The B&K AVR307 I have has manual EX selection but the sound seems to work perfectly.

It would help if you let us know what receiver and DVD player you're using so others can check.

Good luck!

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Kenwood VR-6070.

The VFD on the receiver should display "Dolby D Ex" once this format is detected off the dvd's flag. On the back of the dvd it states specifically that this dvd (LOTR) is decoded in Dolby Digital Ex surround format. That's why i'm asking.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Serge,
This same issue was brought up in one of the Anthem AVM-20 threads. According to this site not many of the so-called DD-EX movies are properly flagged. While the list of movies is not complete, it does give you an idea of how poorly DD-EX has been implemented.
In most cases, you will need to set DD-EX manually for the rear channel to be processed.
Michael

DanielSmi

Second Unit
LOTR doesn't have the DD-EX flag. There was a problem with some decoders when the DD-EX flag was present so Dolby to the DVD makers to turn the flag off, so it will still work you just have to manually select it. Only Jurassic Park 3 and Atlantis are the only ones with the DD-EX flag present.

Daniel Smith

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
well that explains it. Of course i checked this. When manually switching the DD modes, i get DD 2.0 and DD 5.1, no EX. This dvd sounds really good but i like to get what i payed for, this dvd (on the back cover) says specifically that it carries the DD EX surround format. Oh well...

BrianDD

Agent
It does carry the format. You just have to engage it manually on your reciever. My Sony DA5ES did not pick it up when in auto mode but it worked fine when I manually switched the EX decoder on. Is there no way to do this on your receiver? I'm not familiar with that model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks