Anyone else have these problems with Rhino DVD-A's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KendallT, Feb 3, 2003.

1. KendallT

KendallT Agent

On Friday I picked up the Grateful Dead "American Beauty" DVD-A from a local Best Buy based on a lot of good sounding reviews. Got it home and although the stereo mix is stunning, it wouldn't play anything in the surround mode. You can select Stereo playlist or Surround Playlist but both end up playing only the 96/24 2-channel tracks.

Took it back Sunday, and exchanged it for "Working Man's Dead" (they didn't have another copy of "American Beauty") and once again great stereo but NO mutlichannel mix accessible. Both of these discs are from Rhino Recording.

I know it's not my equipment as I have 3 other DVD-A discs which work fine (including another Rhino disc).

Anyone else out there having problems with the software like this??

-Ken

2. Michael St. Clair

Ken,

What is your player? My RP82 doesn't play the hi-res multichannel on 'Automatic for the People', but plays the other tracks (including hi-res stereo) fine. It also plays the hi-res multichannel on my other DVD-As...

3. KendallT

KendallT Agent

Denon 1600 DVD and Denon 3803 Reciever.

When I select the "Surround Playlist" from the top menu, and enter a song, the on-screen display for the 1600 clearly says the input is "96/24 2-channel". Pop the disc out, put in "Brain Salad Surgery" (which doesn't have a seperate stereo mix, but is also a Rhino records product) and the on-screen display clearly says 96/24 6-channel and plenty of output from all the speakers.

Something is strange with these GD discs.

-Ken

4. Michael St. Clair

Kendal,

That's exactly what my 'Automatic for the People' does on the Panasonic RP82.

And it's a Warner disc...Rhino is also Warner.

Yet my Warner Bjork disc plays fine in 6-channel.

5. KendallT

KendallT Agent

Inneresting....

I'll let you know if I get a response from Dr. Rhino - customer service listed on Rhino's web site.

Sounds like they've got some QC problems.

-Thanks for responding.
    -Ken

6. Michael St. Clair

I have contacted Spence Chrislu who is the Director of DVD-A at Warner Music. He is a hands-on kind of guy and gives good customer service, so hopefully I can get some info.

My guess is that something was not authored to spec, or some DVD chipset is not following spec. I suspect the former, but we'll see.

7. KendallT

KendallT Agent

I did write down the various numbers on the inner most part of both discs in case it would help narrow down when, by whom or what lot the disc was manufactured.

Thanks for looking in to it.

-Ken

8. KendallT

KendallT Agent

Michael-
    See my new post, found the problem and the fix. Turn on the subwoofer in your DVD player menu setup - even if you don't have one. It works!

Thanks for your help.
    -Ken

9. Michael St. Clair

It worked.

Except my problem was I had turned the center off; I am temporarily without center channel while I renovate the theater room.

So, all speakers must be turned on to listen to (certain Warner family) 6-channel tracks on Panasonic (and related) players.

Good job.

10. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

It's not the WB disc, it's the Panasonic firmware guys.

Regards,

11. KendallT

KendallT Agent

And Denon as well. (Denon DVD-1600)

-Ken

12. John Kotches

The Denon DV-1600 is based on a Panasonic OEM kit, so it shares the same issues.

Regards,

13. KendallT

KendallT Agent

Still curious though, why (so far) only with some of the Warner Rhino discs and not all others? Do have to admit my collection is very small so not much to compare with. Is there a correlation of this "problem" with discs that offer both the 2- channel as well as the 6-channel modes? The only discs I've had no problem with also don't have a hi-res stereo mix included.
    -Ken

14. John Kotches

None that I'm aware of.

Since I don't have any of the players around that exhibits the problem, I can't really do any extensive diagnosis either.....

Regards,

15. Michael St. Clair

Kendall,

The Bjork disc has high-res stereo and high-res multichannel, and does not have the problem. So not all Warner discs are authored this way.