Anyone else have the French Fries/Potato Addiction???

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ryan Wishton, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

So,

Anyone else here just love the potato?

For the life of me I just cant figure it out. This I am sure will sound just stupid, but this is my problem. The potato to me is what alcohol or gambling is to others.

I can cut out the alcohol at will. I can avoid every refined sugar out there if need be. Caffeine? Not an issue. I cut that out several years ago. I can eat and do eat very healthy (for the most part). I eat the green vegatables (which can be a pain as I dont like them. More of a force, but I manage. They have done my body wonders which more than makes up for the pain.). I drink water 90% of the time. Never any coke, etc. The other 10% consists of green/white tea's (also others) and a glass of milk (which I really dont even like).

I used to be an avid sugaraholic several years back until I gained 30 pounds (Which I have since lost). I am shocked to this day I was able to go off it completely.

But, this damn potato. I just can't say no. French Fries? You might as well just shoot me. One of my most favorite things ever. Cheese potatoes, Hash Browns, Those Potatoes in the shape of smiley faces at the supermarket, potato this and that.

Anyone else just love the potato???

P.S. Excuse the stupidity of this thread, but I am serious. Not a joke. I really want to know.

Also, if any health experts are out there? Is it possible to maintain the potatoes in the diet (French fries twice a week for example), and not ruin a good thing (being the body it took me two years to get), as long as I stay on target with everything else which isnt really that difficult for me at all anymore?

Am I looking for an excuse to eat French Fries and other potatoes? Definately. But, I do want an honest answer. How often can one get away with it on average basically without distorting the body? And, no. Not looking for any excuse to eat it every single day. I know that's trouble already. Just moderately as to not go completely insane from an otherwise very healthy lifestyle.

Sugary snacks no longer a problem at all. I ate a piece of birthday cake last summer. Boy, did I regret that. One of the worst headaches I ever had in my entire life. From now on, I guess I will just eat the candles. Less stomach irritation.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Actually, I'm the opposite. I think fries are just "filler" in a combo meal. They're there to distract you from the fact that the burger you're eating is only 2 inches in diameter... a cheap way to make you think you're getting your money's worth.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

ditto dave.
    I took a weekend off from my diet this weekend and never touched a fry, even if it came with my meal.

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I'm with you Ryan, but even more with bread. I could never go on an Atkins diet.

5. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Yup, me as well. No reason to live if I had to give up bread [​IMG] I love potatoes but not necessarily fried. My wife though, couldn't give up fries even when she was really being good on her last weight reduction.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I saw a show on the tube once where some scientists went to an orphanage, and let the kids eat whatever they wanted to. They scarffed up on macaroni & cheese for weeks on end, but then would switch to other stuff, vegetables included. Their bodies were telling them what vitamins they needed, so they ate accordingly - so I'm wondering???? [​IMG]

Glenn

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

You've cut out other forms of sugar. When your body takes in a potato, the carbs are immediately converted into sugar...your body then produces insulin to counteract this sugar (in the blood stream), then you have an over excess of insulin.

This over excess of insulin makes you crave sugar. Since you could care less about other forms of sugar, your body is turning to the one source of sugar you like - Potatos!

I used to also crave potatos until I switched to low carb. It was tough at first, but I've gotten my body so used to low sugar, that I no longer have the cravings for potatos. Just like you experienced with the cake, I too experience with starch. The thought of low blood sugar headaches was enough to get me away from the potato and bread.

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I love fries too, but at the same time I can't stand too much greasy or "rich" foods. I guess that makes for a nice balance because I'm always in the mood for fries, but when I get the dose of grease that comes with it, I don't want them for another while.

9. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

Haven't had one single headache since I gave up white potatos/bread [​IMG]

..and I used to have these daily..

Todd B

10. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

I hear you

When I was in college we used to hit this restaraunt/nightclub that had a buffet line which featured gravy covered french fries...

11. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

mmmmmmmm.......gravy covered french fries

12. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

...with cheese.

Mmmmmmmmmmm poutine

13. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I'm partial to Denny's smothered cheese fries (with bacon and ranch dressing for dippin') [​IMG] Of course I also happen to be a great big fat fu#k, but I'm sure the two aren't related in any way [​IMG]

14. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm a purist - heck, sometimes I don't even use ketchup! I just like my fries hot, crisp and with a little salt. Just thinking about the gravy and cheese on there is triggering my grease intolerance [​IMG]

15. Kim D

Kim D Stunt Coordinator

I love potatoes.

Pommes Anna are an absolute favorite. Take thin slices of Yukon Gold potatoes (about a pound or so) and toss with half a stick of melted butter. Start layering them in a non-stick pan over medium low heat. Salt and pepper each layer. The bottom gets nice and crunchy after about 30 minutes. Finish up in a moderately hot oven. Flip over so crunchy side is up and serve in pie-style wedges.

Now, if I want to cut back on calories [​IMG] , I bake french fries instead of deep frying. Slice potatoes to desired thickness, toss with a couple tablespoons of duck fat, place on a cookie sheet lined with a silpat and bake until crispy. Turn once or twice for even cooking.

- kim

16. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Another potato fanatic but mine are tater tots but I use a convection oven and when cooked right they are awesome plain.

17. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I usually blame my Irish ancestry for my potato addiction, but research on my dad's native Czech Republic shows that the potato is a staple there, too. It turns out the area dad's family is from, Moravia, LOVES their potatoes fried.

Best recipe for home fries, at least from my family came from mom's [the Irish] side by way of Columbus, Georgia.

Cast iron skillet, bacon grease and russet potatoes. Get the skillet hot, throw in the bacon grease. After the grease melts, throw in the potatoes, sliced to desired thickness, and let them get to a golden, crispy brown. Most potato/home fry lovers swear their tastebuds have died and gone to potato heaven!

Unfortunately, mom's family recipes never came with "real" directions, such as "Heat stove to 160 degrees, and use 1/4 cup bacon grease for every pound of potatoes." Pinch of this, dash of that and make sure the pan is HOT.

You can hear your arteries turning to concrete, but what a way to go! [​IMG]

18. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

McDonalds french fries are krytonite to me. My willpower gets so weak when I smell them. Mmmmmm!

- Colton

19. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Hello, my name is Tim and I am a potatoholic [​IMG]

I can take or leave french fries, but my weakness is mashed potatoes. I'm talking the real, homemade ones - not those godawful flakes. I probably make mashed potatoes at least 3 times a week...

20. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I loves me some starch. Potatoes rule whether fried, whipped,baked, or whatever.