1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Else Have High Blood Pressure?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Strang, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

My damned reading last Friday was 210/110. I work at a hospital and employee health told me to check myself into ER. I just I didn't blow the hell out of my kidneys. Perhaps it should have killed me. My wife cried all weekend about it and that's the worst part of all.

It went down after they gave me some potent stuff in ER and now I'm having to take Lotrel and 100mg per day of Topral. I've been taking Topral 50XL for about 2 years and my pressure stayed pretty much around 120/80.

After that large increase Friday it seems that I've reached a point in my where Topral alone will no longer keep this in line. What's worse is that I also found that simply loosing lard off my ass will not necessarily keep the pressure down.

No more potato chips, Doritos (which can make you swell up like a giant sea toad anyway), frozen dinners, etc. And fast food from Wendy's and McDonalds is totally out. Getting near a Taco Bell is not an option.

Anyone else here have anything like this? My lifestyle must be changed and it won't be easy. Any ideas?

thanks

2. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I take Norvasc for high blood pressure. Only drawback is a low-level headache and frequent urination.

3. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Wow Scott, that's through the roof. Aside from lifestyle changes, I hope you are seeing your Dr. for tracking and follow-up. Also, you should be checking your BP at home on regular basis. There's so many different meds/combo of meds that you just need to work with your Dr. to find out what works for you with least side effects. Good luck.

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I use Diltiazem/Tiazac (calcium channel blocker) for my blood pressure. Been on it for a year or so now. No problems and no side effects. Have you considered using anything like a calcium channel blocker?

5. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but you didn't mention cutting out caffine in your original post. This is probably a good idea.

Lifestyle change is never easy. I did it three years ago when I started to gain weight. Try increasing the scope of your diet rather than cutting stuff out. I think many people just deny themselves what they want when they try and change their lifestyle, that's just dieting and you will get bored. Try different types of vegetables, different type of cooking, and different ways to get more complex carbohydrates with lots of fibre rather than refined carbs. I found that the more I experimented with new types of food, the less I was tempted to go back to my old ways and now I have all new favorite foods.

Don't look for alternatives as such to what you used to eat. None of this, "carrot dipped in fat free salsa and yogurt make an excellent alternative to chips and Queso", 'cause they don't. Eat new stuff.

HTH,
    Phill

6. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Well crap. The good Doctor didn't mention caffine but I consume quite a bit in coffee and iced tea. I don't drink sodas unless I'm very thristy and cannot grab anything else easily.

Since I like drinking coffee and Frapochino's all day, I'm pretty much screwed. I don't mind decaf Iced Tea which tastes pretty much the same to me.

I must say that removing cafine from my diet will be much harder than sodium.

But hey, I like my kidneys and prefer not to have to worry about blowing them to hell and back and being on dialysis for the rest of my life. Laying in bed all day every day would suck.

A real problem with high blood pressure is that it doesn't kill you quickly like being shot, burned or crushed. It's a slow death and much more insideous.

7. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

8. andrew markworthy

You must also take account of stress. Stress will fuel the desire to comfort eat and over-indulge in caffeine and alcohol. Plus, stress in itself can raise BP, give you ulcers, lower your drive for fun, and drag you down.

IMHO, if you feel it's appropriate, consult your doctor about taking 'stress-busting' lessons or therapy.

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I can only go on my own personal experience obviously, but about six months ago my BP was about 138/91 which is borderline not good. I read in a lot of medical books and magazines about how lecithin (found naturally in soybeans) can reduce blood pressure and cholestrol. I changed nothing in my lifestyle or diet (that I'm aware of) but started taking 1,200 mg caplets once per day; I haven't shed one pound even though I need to lose about 30-40 pounds; yet my blood pressure last month dropped to 128/78. The systolic is still kind of high, but the drop in the diastolic put be down to just about normal levels.

I have no idea if the lecithin in and of itself was the main factor or if my environment has changed subtly to allow that to happen naturally. But the fact that my blood pressure did drop to levels that they haven't been at in five or six years shortly after taking the lecithin might account for something. At worst, it won't hurt.