What's new

Anyone else have an insatiable urge to read any thread which has been closed? (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I dunno kinda makes me think that closed threads should be deleted?

or am i the only one with this curious habit?

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Ha... I only read a closed thread I wouldn't normally read for two reasons.... 1: if there are quite a few posts and 2: if I see absolutely no reason why it should be closed in the first place just by the title. So, for example, if I see a thread like "how do I copy my DVDs?" closed, I'll just skip it.

It's like a train wreck, you know you shouldn't look, but you must.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I suspect the reason closed threads remain viewable is so they could serve as example.

On a Views/Time vs Time graph, there would be a huge spike at the point of closure. There would also probably be a lesser spike when the thread reaches page 2.

I dunno kinda makes me think that closed threads should be deleted?
You know, I just LOVE this philosophy were people think everyone should be penalized for their lack of self-control :angry:, kinda like the absence of chapter stops on the Mulholland Drive DVD. If you think you shouldn't look, then don't!

--
Holadem - and oh, IBTL btw. Non-constructive discussions of admin methods aren't encouraged...

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
It's just too much of a temptation. I would like to have whoever closed it post a reason, though. Some of us are really dense and can't figure it out.

Glenn

Cam S

Screenwriter
It can be interesting (and funny) how threads can be closed sometimes. I'm guilty of looking

LewB

Screenwriter
I read closed threads first ! I figure that someone broke one of the rules regarding posts for this site. My curiosity takes me to those threads immediately so I can see who did what. I guess it's just human nature (this human, anyway).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
A closed thread is a read-only thread. No need to feel guilty if you read it.
It's closed, because continuation of the discussion was no longer (or: not) deemed fruitful. That's all, it's not a "penalty" of sorts.

Cees

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I look, I just can't help myself. I've got to know what brought it down, especially when it has the innocuous title of "Star Wars DVD Found!" or "How Do I Turn my LDs to DVDs" Ok, maybe that's not so innocuous, but you get the point :)

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
But some threads ARE indeed outright deleted.
You know, this has to be the most annoying thing I could possibly see on a message board. Close the thread if you have to (Remove the forbidden links, inappropriate comments in it too), fine, but at least don't just make it unreadable by shoving it in a password protected area.

If it's something obvious like bootleg sightings (With full link) or blatant religious/political content (With a title that indicates it) ok, but if it's something completely unrelated that just went ugly, I'd like to see what's left of it. Just don't detroy all evidence that it ever existed.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
A closed thread is a read-only thread. No need to feel guilty if you read it.
I think of it this way: if someone says something that causes a thread to be closed, leaving it available to view is a good chance to remind that person that they handled the situation in a poor manner and that in future posts, a bit more tact or thoughtfullness would be useful and constructive. They don't have to necessarily feel guilty about it (people fly off the handle sometimes...it happens) but they can learn to handle the situation better.

But yes...curiosity is one tough temptation to resist.

Bruce

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Martin,

No need to lecture other boards from this place. :)
What you describe as favourable is almost exactly our usual policy.

Cees

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Of course. I tend to read them to see if they were closed because someone didn't want any more comments or because something bad was going on. I've seen threads just closed for no good reason other than to kill them quickly. Lets face it, when a tread reaches its end it will die on its own, there should never be a reason to speed up the death. If there are a lot of locked threads does it help in the performance of the database? Thats the only reason I can think of as to why some threads get locked. My opinion is no thread should be closed. Posts deleted maybe but entire threads closed? Nope. But thats just my opinion which doesn't mean much here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks