What's new

Anyone else have a problem with "The Mummy Returns" case? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I prefer the Snapper to these POS cases.
WOW! That says A LOT!
See, though, there's good news here for folks who got the Mummy Returns "Full Screen" edition when they wanted the Widescreen version. Broken teeth on the case will give the store an additional reason to exchange the item. And if, during such an exchange, the AR version also gets swithched, well then who cares? Certainly the store should not. No broken teeth on the hub? You can fix that...
crazy.gif

Seriously, I've seen a suprisingly small number of these cases, what with all the discs I own (over 850 for those of you who don't know me by now). I am pleased at how few of these I've gotten home to find broken. But then, the missus and I are pretty good at spotting "rattlers" at the store by now. It's worth noting that I have seen more and more of these cases lately, and not just from Universal. I've mentioned that Paramount used them for Star Trek TV and also I've gotten a chunk of them from MGM, even on a couple of the 007 discs!!!
In the search to save the most production cost and garner the biggest profit, it seems that the studios want to use these cheapo keepcases to save a few pennies. In the end, I think this will sort itself out, as all of these studios realize that the "rattler" rate is so much higher on these cases, that it eats back into the margin they gained in the first place by trying to use these instead of a nice Alpha or Amary. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
I just spoke about this in the "rental or buy" forum of this disc. The P&S version did not use the teeth. The WS version did. I started shaking all the WS cases in Walmart Thursday morning looking for a replacement. They were all rattling. Those teeth did scratch my original purchase. I went with the P&S version. They opened that up at the service desk. No teeth. I have scene other releases with teeth but they never broke. Somebody made a big boo-boo. Make sure your disc is not scratched if you find broken teeth in the box.

GilS

Auditioning
Same thing happened to me but with Cape Fear (62) dvd. This type of center ring is by far the worst of all.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
At my store, out of the 50+ copies we recieved, 20 or more were loose inside with broken teeth. In the 4 years I've been selling DVD, this is by far the worst I've seen. This isn't an isolated "bitching" thread - this is a sign of a real problem. The problem is NOT getting them out okay, but actually getting one still held in place! Even mine broke by the time I got it home! I'm replacing it tonight.
I can't believe I'm the first to say this, but....
SHOULD'VE WAITED FOR THE ULTIMATE EDITION!! LOL...
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

M

MaxY

Like I said....
I have about 1300 DVDs.
Of those the most common ones to have a problem is the spoke model. I generally replace them with REAL Keep cases.
These Suck and I dread buying Universal releases because of them.
You hear that Universal?
No Matter how good or how much I want one of your DVDs I always fear what I will find when I open it up.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Hubert

Second Unit
Well, after seeing that God awful "The Scorpion King" sneak peek, I wanted to return my Mummy Returns disc for something else.
laugh.gif

But when I got mine, the disc was not even clicked into the center ring. The disc was just sliding around in the case.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
And what about those damn clear "spiral" cases like X-Men and Close Encounters came in! Those things should be banned from exsistence! You have to crack the case to get the disc out! AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Hubert

Second Unit
laugh.gif
That's true. I has to break one of the spindles of the center ring just to get the thing out.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
mine was broke too. I used a older movie to replace the case.
------------------
RCA 36 INCH TV
DENON avr-2800
Panasonic DVD-rv80
Fronts:PSB Century 1000i
Center:PSB century 200i
Rear:PSB Alpha Into LR
MTX power sub
cable/speaker wire:Kimber Kable & Illuminations V-21
YAHOO messenger: billsfan71
God Bless America

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks