What's new

Anyone else have a problem with "The Mummy Returns" case? (1 Viewer)

Tom V

Grip
I just purchased a copy of "The Mummy Returns" today and had to exchange it three times, and the case is still borken inside. What breaks is the small plastic center ring that holds the DVD in. For some reason they are using a different center ring with small notches on it that break when you try and remove the disc. Did anyone else have this problem? Luckily I have some extra cases to use for this disc. Thanks

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my disc wasn't broken, but I'm not crazy about that center ring.
------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I didn't have anything broken on my MR case, but I can say that this is the same style case that some of us commented on for some of the recent Star Trek episode releases. Many folks referred to this type of case as the "Jaws of Death" or the "Death Grip" center ring.
It seems to be universally hated among the various keepcase variants.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I hate that type of center ring. I've found that the best way to take a disc out is to lift the edge of the DVD with your thumb and push one of the center ring fingers with your index finger. It seems to pop up pretty good with minimal bending of the disc.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Mine came with one of the teeth broken, but it still holds the disc in place. One of these days, I will get replacements for these wretched things.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
It's used primarily by Universal. I've replaced these cases on U-571, Jurassic Park(but not Lost World), Apollo 13 DTS, Conan The Barbarian CE, Enemy at the Gates(Paramount), and now Mummy Returns. I've found that usually the first time I take the disc out it will break one of the teeth. I just bought a pack of Alpha cases to replace these cases with.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Well I actually HAD to break 3 teeth just to get the damn disc out! Seriously, this is the first case that I have not been able to (with at least 20 frustrating minutes of trying) get the damn disk out! holy frick! Its either break the case or break the disc. Didn't the guy that designed these torture adult proof cases test the damn things!?! Its like the guy was trying to make it extremely hard to do. If you get a broken one don't bother exchanging it, just save yourself some grief and buy a different case.
smiley_splat.gif

Dean

Dave-A

Auditioning
My case was also damaged. Two "teeth" had broken off and they were sliding around inside. But it still holds the DVD tightly.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I hate this center ring. It's almost impossible to push it in and get the disc out. I almost always used to break 1 tooth of the ring to facilitate getting the discs out. Now I just collect AOL cases and transfer the discs and artwork to that. I knew there was good use for AOL!
wink.gif

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
Carlos,
Three Cheers, I too have found a use for AOL. Every time I visit sears, they have a rack with tons of AOL DVD cases with a sign that says "Free Take One", well I take liberty in that no one was taking any of them, so I scored about 25 of them, just dumped them over in a bag I was carrying. Got home and cleaned out the AoHell cases, and removed the outside stickers - what a pain. But better than paying for them :)
- Andy

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
It's a conspiracy I tell you.
biggrin.gif
The companies use crappy cases that we break so we have to go buy replacements.
biggrin.gif
That way everyone is happy, except for us, that is.
[Edited last by Chris Hicks on October 03, 2001 at 10:00 AM]

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Yep, I never would have gone out and bought this movie but my wife, who works at Universal Home Video sure enough brought one home yesterday. Still wrapped, the disc was already rock'n and roll'n inside. Upon opening,two of the teeth had broken off and were laying inside. Time for another replacement case. Universal should do something about this.

Dan M

Second Unit
I agree these cases are not the best but I discovered a way of removing the disc without breaking the teeth or the disc.(knock on wood):
Do NOT lay the case down on a flat surface when trying to remove the disc.
Simply lay the case in the palm of your hand. This will provide a cushion (or soft surface) behind the disc.
Using the other hand, press down on the center of the hub with your thumb.
The disc pops up unharmed. Works every time for me.
Try it!
Hope this helps
------------------

KyleK

Second Unit
It's easy, you place it on a carpet, press the center, and it comes right out.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
My local store's entire shipment had broken center "spokes". We can tell by shaking the case..
ELbert

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dan & Kyle,
I've had plenty of experience on these cases and your techniques work on most of them, but these spokes do come in various states of "tightness" or "rigidity" for lack of a better term. On most that have teeth like this, you don't want to lay it on a table, and pressing the teeth in so that the whole side of the case caves in usually works. However some cases have teeth so rigid that it still doesn't pop out. that's when I have to resort to breaking a tooth or two.
Still, the AOL replacement case is the best workaround I've come up with.
wink.gif

M

MaxY

Hi There.
My Name is Max.
I am addicted to DVDs.
I buy lots and lots of DVDs.
I know my DVD cases....
THese cases of been in use by Universal for a long time and fox as done some releases with them but thankfully they seem to have stopped.
This cases are by FAR the common cases to show up with damage. I can tell you that there has been many a time when I open the dvd up to find that one of more spokes are broken off inside the case.
I prefer the Snapper to these POS cases.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member