Anyone else have a 7.0 speaker setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Rosenfeld, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Aaron Rosenfeld

I realized today that I have an interesting speaker setup, and wondered if anyone else had heard of someone doing this. When I first decided to make a real home theater system I decided to get a good receiver (Panasonic SA-HE200) and use it to power some crappy 40W speakers I had from a bookshelf mini-component system. This idea quickly got nixed and I decided to also buy the JBL NSP1 system. Unfortunately, the upgrade bug hit relatively quickly. Within 2 weeks I had purchased a pair of N28s to replace the fronts. Now, I thought, why let those old N24s go to waste, so, since the Panny had rear-center pre-outs, I dug up an old receiver to power the 2 rear-center channels.

The odd part of this whole thing is that I have yet to buy a subwoofer, and I don't plan on getting one for a year and a half. This decision was made mostly because I live in a college dorm room, and the guys next door were getting irate with the old 40W speaker system. I could only wonder what a gigantic subwoofer would do. So, instead of either buy a cheap sub with very little power, or running the sub so quiet that I couldn't hear it, I decided to wait to buy one. Was this a good idea? Am I losing that much effect by not having an LFE channel? Could I calibrate the sub so as not to piss of the guys next door. (Note. the walls are steel reinforced concrete if that helps to determine how much the sound will bleed through.) Am I just crazy for having 7 speakers and no sub? I'd like to hear back from you guys.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Realisticly, you are missing out on a large part of your movie experience without a sub with those speakers. All the surrounds in the world cannot make up for that rumble, even from a cheap sub. Given that bass could be a problem in your situation, you are probably better off the way your are now.
    A year without a sub? I'd go nuts. [​IMG]

3. Aaron Rosenfeld

Yeah, I would really like to have a sub, but until I move out of the dorms, I just can't have people coming knocking on my door everytime there is activity on the LFE. It's especially annoying now that I have all new speakers and I get them all during finals. For those who don't know, finals week at my college entails absolute silence. If any sound is heard in the hallway or in another room, you can be written up on the spot with no warning.[​IMG] I guess I'll just have to wait to hear that room shaking bass.
    P.S. Has anyone here ever picked an apartment (or any other living arrangment) based on the amount of bleed-through that your speakers will give or how irate your neighbors would get?

4. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Dude get a sub and say to hell with those guys. Just invite them over a couple times and then they wont care. Also, be smart about when you use it. I will really crank it up in the afternoon but after about 9 PM I dial it down a bit and may turn off the sub after about twelve. Unless you live on a quiet floor you should be all right

5. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Yeah we picked the bottom floor apartment.

But when Matrix came out we still had a lady come down to ours and tell us the "radio" was a little to loud.

Get the Sub for Christmas and when you get back to college finals will be over and you can enjoy it.

6. MattMB

MattMB Agent

You could always look at something like the bass shaker from Aura and get a little sub like the DLS from Parts Express.

I've a NSP1 setup with N26II, definatly missing the low LFE bass sections, like when Sauron explodes at the beginning of LotR: FotR.

7. Brian Olsen

Brian Olsen Agent

I wouldn't recommend a sub. When I lived in the dorms, I lived in a suite arrangement. I lived with 2 very good friends and 1 deaf guy.
    The last week of school, we also have absolute silence. Well as it turns out, we got written up and got sent to the dorm manager who told us we aren't allowed to live in the dorms anymore, ever!! Why??? As it turns out, our deaf suitemate made 8 noise complaints!!! (This being our 9th)
    Can you believe that??!!!
    As it turns out, it didn't matter much since we were moving into an apartment that summer anyway. But jeesh, what a shock.
    And I won't bring up my stereo situation while I was in Michigan... =)
    Truth be told, yah it'd be nice. But wait till you get a house. Apartments/dorms are just too small. I know I'll be waiting [​IMG]

8. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

I have a similar setup although I have N38's hooked up to a Pioneer 811. I have never had a dedicated sub so I don't know what im missing but the N38 deliver enough LFE to piss the neighbors off.

9. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

A sub does not have to be loud and shake the room. While the sub frequencies do travel farther through walls, you can still have a sub and not annoy anybody. Remember, the point of a sub is not to shake the room, it is to provide the lower sound frequencies. The sub needs to be calibrated to the same volume as the rest of the speakers. Then it should be no louder than what you are listening to now, just richer and lower.

But you do have to be more cautious. Keep the volume low. A sub will be heard faster than the rest of the speakers when you turn the volume up. But at normal to quiet volumes on most things, it shouldn't be any worse than now. Also, does the receiver have a midnight mode? Sometimes called dynamic compression. If it does turn it on. It takes the high peaks (like in explosions) that are encoded louder and tones them down to keep the volume more consistent. And you might have to ride the volume some in action movies. Just keep the remote handy and turn it down during loud scenes and back up during dialog.

And one other thing. An expensive and powerful sub will actually be quieter than a cheap underpowered sub. A powerful sub will be cleaner lower at quieter volumes. A cheap sub will need to be cranked more to hear it cleanly.

... I am not saying that a sub will never be heard. I am just stating that it is possible to have a sub in group living. I know many people in apartments that have big subs. It takes more work, but it can be done. So don't come back to me if you get kicked out because I told you it would work. I am just giving you ideas about how it could work if yo really want.

10. Aaron Rosenfeld

My receiver does indeed have a midnight mode. But reading the manual, it says that it's only for Dolby Digital tracks. Can I use it for just TV watching or DTS tracks?

11. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

If it won't work on DTS tracks, I would stick with Dolby Digital. As for TV, there is very little bass in TV programs, so it shouldn't even be an issue.

The only time a sub is really heard from far away is during loud explosions and such. Midnight mode and common sense should solve most of that.

Don't forget about bass heavy music. That is hard to overcome. You might have to turn it way down or off for music.