What's new

Anyone else hate this one bad cut in BLADE RUNNER...? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Leon (Bryon James)is being interviewed to determine whether or not he is a replicant. Feeling cornered, he pulls a weapon under the table and blows the interviewer backward in his chair. It appears the victim hits the wall when there is an abrupt edit to a new sequence. I have always hated this cut - it feels like there should have been at least several more frames, that the editor had no choice but to leave it as is for whatever reason, perhaps lack of coverage. Is anyone else annoyed by this? It feels too sloppy to have been by Ridley Scott's choice or design.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
it always seemed a little "chopped", yes. but it never really bothered me. what does bother me is that this dvd...was my first true case of DVD ROT. after 2 years and tender care...the dvd grew worse and worse until it died a painful death. of course nobody would replace this defective product for free...I mean after all, nobody in the industry seems to think theres a problem...so we must be fools. oops...sorry, got side-tracked.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
According to Paul Sammon's Future Noir, the shooting of Holden lasted a few moments longer in the original workprint. So the footage existed.

M.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Always looked like it was supposed to be a shock (or flash) cut to me, so I was never bothered by it.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
It never bothered me. I felt the scene had made it's point and it was time to move on.

What does bother me though, is the fact that I am not yet the proud owner of a 2 disc (or 3) Special Edition fully loaded, brand new hi-def pristine transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 copy of this film. WHERE IS IT WARNER? I WANT IT NOW!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Always looked like it was supposed to be a shock (or flash) cut to me, so I was never bothered by it."

Exactly.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's worth noting that Terry Rawlings was the editor, and he and Scott had already made great use of abrupt cuts in Alien. I'm sure this was a deliberate choice, which is probably why it was unchanged in the Director's Cut.

M.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, I also see it as an intentional "shock" jumpcut to punctuate the instant violent reaction the replicants can have under stress...or in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks