What's new

anyone else hate the new Roswell DVD packaging? (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I've been a fan of the show for years, so I don't need to get the new sets, but seeing the new artwork is a disgrace to the fans of the series. I liked Katherine Heigl on that show, and I like her on Grey's, but everyone knows she was never the "star" of Roswell (that would've been Jason Behr and Shiri Appleby). What I dislike is that they even put "Starring Katherine Heigl" on the new covers. Granted, she is a star now but to do that is a slap in the face to Behr, Appleby and Fehr, as well as those of us who were fans of the show long before Grey's Anatomy came into production. It just looks odd with her being up in front on the covers when she didn't even really start getting storylines of her own until season two.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
I agree to some extent with what you said: those new covers are just a pathetically obvious marketing device, and it is insulting to both the actress and the show's fans that the female lead, Shiri Appleby, does not even appear on the new cover art for Season 2. That being said, I always found Heigl the better actress of the two and do find her current ride on the wave of success entirely justified.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Besides the emphasis on Katherine Heigl, I like the artwork for the new packaging (for the most part). But since nothing has changed, I'll pass on these as I did the original releases. I was surprised when I got this in my inbox. I thought for a spit-second that maybe Fox was re-releasing "Roswell" with the original soundtrack.

At least the new packaging for the final season is somewhat accurate, given the writers focused heavily on Isabel.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I love the new packaging as well. It's about time that 20th Fox Home Video redesigned the packaging so that the sets are slimmer. They did the same with X-Files, Buffy, Angel, Stargate SG-1 and Dark Angel.

I also think the artwork, the new artwork, is actually better than the previous. Fox is probably thinking that they can generate even more sales from these sets and I think they're right.

They should be allowed to capitalize on the success of Katherine Heigl and Emilie De Ravin and I'm sure that Disney is reeling since they're the distributor of both Lost and Grey's Anatomy.

I know I'll be buying the new sets ... with their better than average designed boxed sets.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, it's true they are cashing in on the fame. But... I don't think it'd be any different than cashing in on How I Met Your Mother and Family Guy and repackaging Buffy seasons and put Alyson Hannigan and Seth Green (in seasons 2-4) to the forefront and saying "starring Alyson Hannigan and Seth Green" while Gellar is in the background (god, I bet Fox execs are reading this and thinking "this is a good idea!!!". Please Fox, don't.)

Isabel did get more important to Roswell as the show progressed, like stated, the third season, but to put it out like it was her show and everyone else was supporting is an insult to Appleby, Behr, Fehr and Delfino, who all had much more screen time and more storylines than Heigl had.

Roswell was a cult series with a very loyal following, it wasn't like it was just some lost relic from Heigl's past that came to light once she became a star. Actually, you'll find that there are more of us who came into Grey's Anatomy with "wow, it's nice to see Katherine Heigl back on TV" than you think there are.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The series was actually more about the romance between Appleby and Behr, although Behr has stated that he doesn't want to do a reunion special ... oh, and studios often do this when a star of an older series is recognized as an Emmy, Golden Globe or Academy Award winner. Studios often do this to piggyback on the award season and Fox isn't the first one and only one to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks