What's new

Anyone else HATE the kudos system in PGR? (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
I hate the kudos system in Project Gotham Racing. I just got the game, and I mean, I absolutely hate (using the strongest sense of the word) the kudos thing. It sounded cool when I read about it, but it's just not my thing. Now, granted, this may be because I totally suck at it, but hopefully I'll get better. If I don't begin to get some kind of enjoyment out of this game soon, it's going back. I love the music management system in the game. That's a plus, but it's not a reason to keep it. Does anyone else feel this way about PGR, or can anyone reassure me that I'll learn to like the kudos idea? Give me some of your thoughts on the game. Later!

Rob

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
There is a definate learning curve to the kudos but its cool. Just give it some time and you'll get it.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely love it. Loved it in MSR, love it in PGR. It just puts a completely different emphasis on your driving - it's not about winning the race, it's about driving well AND winning the race. If you approach it as a Gran Turismo style game, chances are you won't enjoy it - it's a very different feel to the handling, the tracks & the gameplay.

Have you gotten to grips with the handling of the early cars? How far into the game are you? I know a few folk who just can't get to grips with the handling & that was enough to put them off it.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
As they said in "Metropolis Street Racer":
"It's not about how fast you drive, it's about how you drive fast." :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hell yeah joel.. i drive by that saying ;)
Anyways, if you hated the one in PGR, you'd HATE the one in MSR even more. Even the slightest TAP with an opposing car will reduce your kudos

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
Get sega gt 2002 if you just want to race. The game is quite amazing for that. Just don't overpower your cars with a bunch of HP mods. Handling is key.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
No, get Rallisport Challenge if you just want to race. Get SegaGT if you want to faff about with car upgrades.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I bought rallisport when I bought my xbox and I didn't like the rails feel to it. There isn't enough freedome in it. Not to mention rally racing is completely different from street or track racing.

Mike

DwightK

Second Unit
This thread is funny as I refuse to get PGR due to my irrational hatred of the kudo system in MSR.

Why did they call it kudos anyways? It shoulda been called Wee Hey! (or whatever silly word the game used)

I hope in PGR the game atleast says KUDO! when you do a stupid maneuver.

Oh, this clearly shows there are definate differences in player wants and desires. I love GT3, WRC, Sega GT, etc. Basically I want racing simulations where other folks hate racing simulations. I haven't added rallysport Challenge to my good list yet as I love using a FF wheel and the xobx doesnt have one out yet.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Dwight, except that I feel that my hatred of Kudos is not irrational, the kudos system is! If you drive really well, you get virtually no kudos at all. The less your car slips and drifts, the better you're handling it, after all you want its power to be translated into forward motion as much as possible. Whenever you're tires squeak you basically messed up. Seems to me that this system rewards incompetence more than accurate driving. Then again, I might simply have completly missed the point on it. YMMV.

On the other hand, I like RSC and I absolutely adore Sega GT.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Steve: Well, the kudos system (at least in MSR) Calculates both SPEED and STYLE. So you could whiz on through the track hitting every apex turn perfectly and get a bunch of kudos, its not just oversteering that gives you kudos.

Graeme:if you just wanna race, what you do is go into the HOTLAPS that require you to beat a specific time in ONE LAP. The first lap youbeat the time, then the rest of the laps you just go back and forth spinning and stuff... Get a SH*T LOAD of kudos, then once you have enough to unlock all the levels (i had all levels unlocked, 25 in total, when iw as like in level 10). Now i dont worry about kudos, but just racing and winning

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Graeme:if you just wanna race, what you do is go into the HOTLAPS that require you to beat a specific time in ONE LAP. The first lap youbeat the time, then the rest of the laps you just go back and forth spinning and stuff... Get a SH*T LOAD of kudos, then once you have enough to unlock all the levels (i had all levels unlocked, 25 in total, when iw as like in level 10). Now i dont worry about kudos, but just racing and winning
That's what proves the kudos system is totally broken, to me anyway. I discovered that trick pretty early on in MSR and I unlocked everything way before I got there.

Kudos is/was a gimmicky, silly and flawed idea, IMHO.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
If you drive really well, you get virtually no kudos at all. The less your car slips and drifts, the better you're handling it, after all you want its power to be translated into forward motion as much as possible. Whenever you're tires squeak you basically messed up. Seems to me that this system rewards incompetence more than accurate driving. Then again, I might simply have completly missed the point on it.
I think you did miss the point. PGR is an arcade style racing game, not a sim. Driving "well" in a game such as Gran Turismo 3 is not the same as driving "well" in PGR. In GT3, apexing turns, driving smoothly, ect. is the way to ge the quickest laps. However, with PGRs physics, sliding is definately quicker, and has the added bonus of racking up kudos. If you're looking for a realisti driving game that adheres to normal physics as closely as possible, then PGR probably isn't the right game for you.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
James beat me to it. There's nothing inherently wrong with the kudos system. It's just you don't enjoy it. This is simply the style of the game. It's like saying there's way too much jumping in Mario.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
all i can say robert is that i was the same way when i first started playing PGR. the whole reason i kept it the first week was bc of the music feature.. but slowly its grown on me and its one of the better racers in my collection. i say give it alil more time.. i think you'll begin to enjoy it like i did. :D

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
i think it's kind of fun. it rewards you for hotdogging, not necessarily being the fastest. i've gotten some wild air and slides going with the F50, that's fun to me. there just aren't any games that truly recreate what it's like to race a car. grand prix legends for the PC, an older game, is probably the only one that comes truly close.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
This takes some getting used to, but I find it incredibly fun...I prefer it this game to any others I have played. Even if the Kudos system is odd and the AI drivers are stupid and almost impossible to beat at times....

Racing exotic cars thru urban areas on the edge of "out of control" is completely exhilarating to me....I prefer it to NASCAR - although I am a NASCAR junkie - I nevber miss a race....I find racing in control on ovals completely boring for a "game".....Whereas driving a Porsche down the streets of SF at ungodly speeds - fun...!!!

The "arcade mode" is probably the least fun of the modes. Try the quick races, Kudos are not necessary for winning medals - but they do add to your totals....

I read some of the arguments on whether PGR is a arcade game or a realistic sim....I think its both - physics are pretty good and the cars DO handle differently...On the flipside, no setups (you can tweak though) and tires dont wear....I prefer this....I like it...

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I like the Kudos system, and think PGR is the best racing game I've ever played. Still haven't finished it though. I have 133 medals, over 100 of them being of the Gold variety. I have not beat any of the bonus races.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks