Anyone else gonna avoid Schindler's List?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by James L White, Jan 2, 2004.

1. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

That movie just doesn't work for me. It's just not entertaining to watch all that bloodshed :b

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I'll buy Schindler's List, despite the tough to take subject matter.

3. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

No chance of avoiding this gem. This is one of my favorite films and I have waited awhile to get it on DVD. It has an amazing story, good acting, directing, and just about everything else. I can't wait to hear John Williams' score in 5.1. The PCM track on LD sounds amazing enough, let's hope the DTS track improves on it. Cheers!

AJG

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I'll have to wait and see how good it is. I've got the DTS LD, and the image quality is great, and the DTS sound is awesome.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The DTS sound on the LaserDisc is very high quality.

6. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

7. chris*b

chris*b Stunt Coordinator

Yep, I can hardly wait for it either. It is such a great film.

8. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I don't like this film either. Speilberg was obviously torn between telling the story of Shindler and making a documentary about the holocaust - the way the two mix together really drags out the film for me. It really didn't have to be 3 hours long. And the DVD seems almost bare bones. Unless you buy the 80 dollar boxset to get some worthwhile features *cough*ET!*end/cough* [​IMG]

I'll stick with the Pianist. Not that I actually enjoy watching movies about the Holocaust... something about the subject matter that turns me off. Don't quite know what it is...

IMO, of course.

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Clearly the film isn't for you if you were expecting to be entertained.

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'll be buying. [​IMG]

11. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

This falls into the "Great movies that I'll never watch again" category.

Awesome movie, but not something I'll sit down and watch often.

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell

I think you can be entertained by this movie. It is a wonderful movie that takes on one of the darkest times in the history of man.

Sure, it can be tough to watch. It is also a very moving movie. What I try to take from it the most is the story of man who finds something in himself he never know was there.

He starts out a greedy businessman who just wants to profit from the War, and ends of spending his fortune to save a few (comparatively) lives.

I do admit, its a personal thing whether you can watch this movie. I saw Saving Private Ryan in the theaters and haven't watched it since, and don't want to, despite it being a great movie.

13. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I am for surely getting it. I recently watched The Pianist again and that movie kind of reminded me of Schindler's list. I think this will be a must have for many people.

14. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I buy a lot of "heavy" films like this. They aren't something I watch too often like lighter fare, but I still feel it's important to have them and watch them once in a while.

15. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

Schindler's List is one those moral imperative purchases for either the casual or serious dvd collector, so yes, i'll be buying it, even though it is a gut wrenching experience to sit through.

16. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I'm a serious DVD collector and I feel no 'moral imperative' to purchase any particular film.....

17. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

I'd like to see a list of those 'moral imperative' dvd's.

I won't be buying it as I didn't like the film. There are many, many dvd's I won't be purchasing. Why make the assumption that Schindler's List is so unanimously loved that NOT buying deserves special distinction?

18. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

No purchase for me.

Too heavy-handed for my tastes, plus I've read and watched enough material about the events in other books, films, documentaries, etc - that I really don't need to go through yet another account.

There's no moral imperative to owning this film, as there was no moral imperative to owning any films about other past atrocities.

That said, both editions of the DVDs look like their going to be quality releases.

19. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I'm kinda torn about whether or not to buy the DVD.

I really loved the film, and I've seen it a couple times, but I can't imagine wanting to watch it again, or at least regularly. Being able to rent it would probably be enough for me.

But... and I don't want to call it "guilt" since that doesn't seem appropriate... as a collector, and a fan of the film, it kinda feels like I have to get it. This would be much easier if it had extensive special features; I'll buy DVDs that have volumes of supplements for films I like that I don't watch often. (For instance, I love the Lord Of The Rings films, but there's no way I'd watch the films enough that it would actually be more convenient to own instead of renting. But the supplements are awesome and it will take me forever to get through all of the extended edition bonus features, which makes it worth it. Even if I don't watch the film a lot, there's a lot on there to watch besides the film.)

20. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Amazing film.