Anyone else get totally annoyed with the Mitsubishi Eclipse commercial ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Heebner, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

You know what one I am talking about, where they are driving in a city at night, with a techno song playing, and the girl in the front seat is dancing to it? For some reason this commercial just totally annoys me. I don't know if its the music, or if it's the girl doing "the robot" to it in the front seat. Add this to the fact they probably play this damn commercial every commercial break.
    I am normally a pretty mellow guy, but this commercial causes me to grind my teeth. Even my wife said that this commercial buggs her.....and for no real appearant reason.

Anyone else?

Matt

2. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Matt, I want to thank you for posting this! My wife and I thought we were the only people bothered by this commercial. We've brought it up to some of our friends and received those "what the hell are you talking about" looks from them.

My wife says the commercial is completely "unhuman". The music is 100% synth, and the girl looks weird and robotic. Maybe that's why.

Tell ya one thing, it sure doesn't make me want to by Mitsubishi.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Not even a Platinum Series widescreen, high def-ready set with plenty of connectivity in back? [​IMG]

4. Jason Delaney

I hate that friggin commercial too,
    especially that dumb ass girl with the ugly hat.

5. DerrickRemmert

I used to work with a guy who had a degree in advertising. He said commericals are intentially made to be annoying so you will remember the product.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Doh, I find the girl kinda cute :p)
    That commercial doesn't irritate me (maybe because I've gotten used to techno since my roommate downstairs loves the crap). The two latest Subway commercials irritate me big time though. The one with Jared spotting "and only 6grams of fat" every 3 seconds. And the "it's not even on your radar screen". When I'm live with my PVR I actually pause it and wait 30 seconds so I can skip those two commercials [​IMG]

7. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I hate that commercial! Why are they using that same song for another commercial? I also hate the one with the song by, I think, Smash Mouth.

Whatever happened to great car commercials like the Nissan ones a few years ago with the old man and a dog?

~T

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Yeah, I thought that the ad was for the music to drive by.
    Really, though, this is one really irritating commercial and only makes me remember NOT to buy a damned Mits.

Guess it may appeal to some younger generation though as they may think the girls they pick up in the car may well do that robot jerk-s*** for them too. If she only knew how stupid it makes her look. LOL

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, me too but at least they don't seem to play that one around me that much anymore. What I do hear constantly are those various Lincoln commercials with that little Jazz number. But then again, I've been watching the Tour de France on OLN and Lincoln seems to be a main sponser. Thank god for PVRs cause I skip them all.

I do love that AT&T commercial with all the different bikes going by, even a recumbent at the end.. Must be a fellow cyclist..

Jay

10. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

That girl needs some seizure medication, or dance lessons, possibly both!

11. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Yeah...it is the girl...plus the music sucks. Man, if I was the dude driving the car I would kick her butt right out when she started with that stupid dance! "You're outta here!!"

As far as making commercials annoying so one will remember them...well...it doesn't work on me. If a commercial is as annoying as this one I might just vow NEVER to buy a product from that company. Seriously! I will never buy a Mitsubishi...car, TV, VCR, DVD player, stereo, kitchen appliance...oh, I guess they don't make those!

12. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Not terribly disturbed by this commercial but

13. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I think it's amazing that no one has posted how much this commercial is hated until now.

You know what I think is even more amazing? You may or maynot know but I've always felt advertising is not very effective. I've seen this commercial way too many times and I hate it too, but until I read this thread, I had not realized that it was a Mitsubishi Eclipse commercial.

14. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

Add me to the list of people who hate that commercial. Repeated exposure to it has awakened heretofore unknown misanthropic tendencies in me. IOW, I want to see the car crash. [​IMG]

15. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I forgot that there is one car commercial that I love right now: The Volkswagon one about the driver who makes his way to the wedding just in time to stop it.

~T

16. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I like the Celica GT (at least I think it's a Celica GT, like I said, I don't pay close attetnion) commercial where the dog comes running around the corner at full speed and crashes into the tail end of the car. The the announcer says something like, "It looks fast. Even when it's standing still". Or maybe he says, "It just looks fast"

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

It didn't bother me until about the 30th time I saw it. Now, at about a hundred times that number, I'm down right annoyed with it.

18. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I love the VW commercial and even downloaded it to find some serious hissing in the download and then the anal audiophile in me had to delete it and pray and hope I can catch it in HD one day.

19. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Man ...oh man ...do I ever hate that commercial.
    Maybe it is because I live in NYC and see idiots like that in their cars ...

I am not sure what Mitsubishi had in mind when making that ad. That age group is hardly a target market with money.

It makes me remember the car alright .. in a negative way!

20. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Believe it or not, I just got done' bitchin about that same commercial lol....One night(and I don't watch a ton of regular TV) it played no few than 8 times...2 in the SAME 2 minute skit!!!! unreal how some people think alike[​IMG]