Anyone else get miffed by getting "incorrect change" from a cashier?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Carlo Medina, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

And I purposely put "incorrect change" in quotes because I do not mean the wrong amount of change, but rather less-than-optimal denominations of change.

For example (U.S. currency):

61 cents in change should = 2 quarters + dime + penny
    *NOT* 6 dimes + 1 penny.

It drives me nuts when the vending machines at work do this (just got 4 dimes for change), but it's even worse when a human cashier does it. I kid you not, once a cashier tried to give me eighty cents in dimes and I thought "okay, she's out of quarters" except that her quarters section of the change drawer was filled to the point that I could see it from my side of the counter.

I watched her counting out the dimes, and as she got to eight I smiled at her and said in a semi-humorous voice "I know you're not going to give me eight dimes..." and she kind of looked confused at me, and I clarified "three quarters and a nickel will do."

Maybe the fact that I still do not own my own washer/dryer (hence quarters are a valuable commodity for the pay-machines in my building) makes me cranky when I get less than optimal change. [​IMG]

2. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Maybe the next million-dollar invention will be a cash register that shows pictures of the suggested change. Kind of like the cash registers that have buttons for hamburgers & French fries.

But then teenagers will have to compete with chimpanzees for the drive through jobs. [​IMG]

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Simple solution: get the cash registers that Wendy's uses. It automatically spurts out the correct change in Carlo's preferred way.

4. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

People still use cash?

5. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I almost hate to say it, but it's probably the only way she could count it out.

I was at Tower Records a few years back and, I kid you not, three high school girls started arguing on whether P came before S. I couldn't believe it.

-paul

6. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

My last major purchase was made using Canadian Maple Leaf coins....no change involved though.

Mort

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

How about when (for example) something costs $14.52 and you give them a $20 bill and 2 cents (to get back the $5 and two quarters instead of 48 cents) and the cashier gives you that look, like "You already gave me a $20 bill, you don't need to give me any more money" [​IMG]

I hate getting back singles or anything smaller than quarters, so I always try to use my lose change to get back at least $5 bills...One time, my total was something like $5.64 and all I had were 20's (i.e ATM cash [​IMG]) and some dimes and pennies - I gave the cashier a $20 bill, a single and 14 cents...

The cashier was REALLY confused. I said "Just type it into the cash register and you'll see..."

She reluctantly typed it in...when the change showed $15.50, she was like "Oh!" [​IMG]

8. Carlo Medina

Mark, excellent addition! Yeah I too give the odd amount of change (usually pennies) in order to get quarters back, and have had to explain to my fair share of cashiers as to why I'm doing it. One time something I bought came up to $19.55 cents, and I gave them $20.05 (for the sake of laundry quarters) and again they looked confused at first, and then started counting out dimes before I had to manually intervene again.

The worst part is that while I was a student in college, I worked on campus as a cashier at the bookstore and I KNOW it's not that hard to get change right. Just start in the right-most drawer (usually it goes, from right to left, quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies) and give as many coins as you can without going over the total amount of change, then move on to the next drawer on the left, repeat until the total change is reached.

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Anyone who has ever worked a register can tell you, quarters are the first thing to run out. Everybody wants them, some people ask to break singles with them. Quit a few people dump anything else in the tray, and these are often put back into the register at some point (picked up by another customer or by the staff.... who knows).

So quarters will always be in short supply.

10. Carlo Medina

Garrett, I did explain in my first post that I thought of that, but I could clearly see from my side of the counter that she had a full drawer of quarters.

11. Robbie R

Robbie R Stunt Coordinator

At least you guys only have to worry about quaters, dimes,nickles & pennies. Here in Canada we have a $1.00 Coin (AKA The Loonie) and $2.00 Coin (AKA The Twoonie). These things are huge! God help you if a cashier runs out of $5 bills, and you get 2 Twoonies and a Loonie instead. You have to tighten your belt a couple notches to keep your pants on.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Hence, why the $1 coin has never caught on in the US, and probably never will.

13. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

so your Sacagawea isnt showing.[​IMG]

14. MarkHastings

Bart Simpson: "What's that? A Chucky Cheese Token?" [​IMG]

15. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

The only way to overcome the resistance is to get rid of the $1.00 bill, but Congress won't do that.

I was in the UK when the 1 pound coin came out. There was a lot of resistance to it because of their size and shape (small and thick). The government "solved" the problem by phasing out the 1 pound bill. One could go to Scotland and get a Bank of Scotland pound note. (UK folks, is that still the case?)

16. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Hence, why the $1 coin has never caught on in the US, and probably never will. "

Hey, I'm on of thos people that love the $1 and $2 coins.

I usually figure things out pretty much to the penny when I buy multiple items.

What I alaways get a kick out of is when I buy something like a DVD for $15 AND ADD THE 15% tax in my head. The cashier always looks at me in amazement .....YEESSSS, 15% of $10 is $1.50, and 15% of $5. is .75c, add them up and take away a penny .....whooopeee!

Brent

17. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Like you, I'm always in need of quarters, and whenever I make a small purchase (usually lunch), I carry sufficient loose change (pennies, nickels and dimes) for transactions which are likely to yield quarters in return.

One time, my total came to $3.87 and I handed the cashier $4.12; naturally, he had a 'deer in the headlights' expression on his face and proceeded to inform me that the coin balance was 87 cents, not 12. I had to tell him that I wanted a quarter in return. Sure enough, after entering $4.12 on the keypad, the change amount displayed was (you guessed it) 25 cents.

18. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

My debit card was demagnetized a few days ago and I have not been sent a replacemnt yet so I have to punch in the numbers. I was at the store the other day and i told the person behind the counter that the strip is dead and that you have to punch the number in.

He took the cards look it over from front to back looked at me and said "UM which number do I punch in?( looking at the toll free number on the back) is it this one?. I reached over flipped the card over and pointed to the the number on the front. so he only punched in 4 numbers on the card looked at me and said Um it didnt go through. I Just stood there and shook my head.

I weep for the future.

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Or you could just carry sufficient cash to get you through until you get a new card.

20. MarkHastings

Stupid people have always been around.