What's new

Anyone else get goosebumps just watching the opening credits of 'SUPERMAN'? :-) (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just felt like watching the DVD, so I put it in after not seeing it in awhile, and that opening sequence with John Williams score soaring throughout my listening room while the credits fly in one by one from the rear to the front stage, finally building to a climax with Richard Donners credit slamming onto the screen accompanied by that incredible LFE just takes my breath away! :)

That has to be the most thrilling opening credits sequence I have in my entire collection!

EDIT: In this thread I am looking for other people like myself who gain enjoyment out of this new audio mix. Thanks. :)

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I haven't felt that way since the first time I saw it in a large theater which was about 5 years ago. I can't get that excited about the dvd because of the annoying new sound effects they had to add to the opening credits.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
John, absolutely! I got the same feeling a few weeks back while watching the episode of "Smallville" in which Chris Reeve guest starred. The John Williams theme crept up slowly in the background and I instantly had goosebumps. One of the most memorable TV moments for me in recent history. It goes to show you how powerfull the film soundtrack is.

Marc.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Matt,

I understand your stance on the matter. However I am only looking for those that enjoy the soundmix on the new version. I've added additional text to my opening post to attract this demographic.

Brad M

Second Unit
When I first put this in my player and heard it I almost cried. I've used it to demo my system several times. In fact, I think I'll go put it in right now. :)

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I use it to demo all the time. I remember when this first came out, I found it a day or two early... poped it in and was BLOWN AWAY.

I felt like that old poster Maxell used with the guy being blown away by the speakers... sitting there and loving it.

-- Matt

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
John, to answer your question, YES! In addition, the music right after the credits when the camera slowly zooms and explores Krypton is amazing. This is one of my very favorite DVDs and they did an outstanding job with the video and audio (and extras, actually).

Ned

Supporting Actor
The first time I watched this intro on DVD I thought to myself, "this is why I have a home theater".

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Well of course you like John William's score, he's your dad isn't he? :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
The first time I watched this intro on DVD I thought to myself, "this is why I have a home theater".
That sums it up in a nutshell. :D

It was one of the first DVD's I played when I upgraded from Dolby Surround to a system that can do Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.

Man... I just about wet myself listening to the opening of Superman. And then I beat myself silly for waiting so long to upgrade to 5.1 surround. ;)

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely a demo at my place! I always loved the opening having grown up with the broadcast numerous times on ABC. They could not have remastered the music any better !

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i've popped this disc in so many times just to play the those now, that i've promised myself not to do it again until i'm prepared to sit down and watch the whole movie.
the first of many aural/visual goosebump scenes on this disc.

the sub assisted impact of Supes flying thru the ceiling of Luthors underground lair, with the music swelling and the debris raining down , is another moment i spin over and over.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The 5.1 mix re-engineered for the restored director's cut is wonderful.

First, the clarity of the audio is amazing. I always remembered the pan & scan transfers with muddy audio. Sure, a few parts every now and then (mostly dialogue) is thinner due to poor preservation...but it's all put together so well.

I wasn't much of a fan of Superman: The Movie until I saw the DVD. With the restored picture, proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio, and clear sound...it is much more enjoyable. A film is hard to enjoy without it being well presented.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
finally building to a climax with Richard Donners credit slamming onto the screen accompanied by that incredible LFE just takes my breath away!
That part literally shakes my wall; I love it!

Superman was originally released on DVD while my subwoofer was in the shop getting repaired. I bought it immediately, but REFUSED to put it in my DVD player until I got my sub back two weeks later. Once I hooked it back up, the first DVD that I grabbed was Superman. I thought my heart was going to leap out my mouth when the final opening credit for Richard Donner appeared. Whoa, baby!

I know the sound remix for the DVD is controversial, and not without good reason. However, I still think it's very impressive.

Link Removed

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Even though I'm not 100% happy with the new sounds, the opening credits are awesome! Thanks to the mint 6 track, Superman has never sounded better! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks