What's new

Anyone else find calibrated Subwoofer not loud enough? (1 Viewer)

Robert Sun

Agent
I've calibrated my subwoofer with the AVIA disc and I find in watching DVD's it seems too soft to me. Explosions are not "felt" etc... I was wondering if others who calibrated had found the same thing?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I gave up on trying to keep my sub calibrated long ago. Recently I had it set to what was a good level for my Luther Vandross concert DVD but I had to nearly cut it in half for fear of damaging something while watching AOTC. This was an issue back when I was a projectionist too, bass levels for action movies were sometimes toned down for fear of disturbing the auditorium next door.

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
If you aren't happy with the setting after calibration, turn it up or down to your taste. In the end, your satisfaction is what matters, not that it is calibrated to a certain standard.

I also turn mine up 3 - 4 dbs over the calibrated level.

JayDaniel

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I noticed that too. What I did was set the volume at a level for 2 channel listening that I like and then use that for movies as well. On the RS spl meter, that registered right at 5db over the 75db calibrated setting that they recommend. I was surprised as I thought it would be much higher than that.

Doug

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I'm usually the opposite- the 5db over is usually excessive for my tatse. Bass is kind of a perspective thing anyway- many people get real subs for the first time and want to hear them running at all times. I have usuallycalibrated then tweaked mine using 2 channel audio I have recorded myself (just so I know how it should sound) and find myself within a +/-2db level of a calibration disc.

But I find your method to be more common. Almost every HT system I ever see from average listeners have cranked the bass 5-8db over ref. I think it sounds ghetto, but one mans floor is another man's ceiling.

-Vince

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator
I used to run mine at the calibrated level but when listening to 2 channel, it just didn't sound right. After a concert I went to, I realized it was just simply a matter turning the volume up some. My towers go down to 24Hz and before I had subs, I was quite satisfied with the bass. I suppose it's a matter of integrating the subs with the towers. My subs get 40Hz and below and my towers get 40Hz and above. Playing with the phase adjustment will get one away from the boom ghetto sound. I also used my friends opinions as a guide as well.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I have my sub(s) at the calibrated level and I think it's just perfect for both movies and music. The speakers are Infinity IL60 powered towers and I've gone through the RABOS routine which helps to eliminate peaks in the frequency response. I believe it's these peaks that 'fool' your SPL meter into thinking that you're at the proper level, when it's really only that one peak, say at 65Hz., that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks