What's new

Anyone else find audio enthusiasm to be a lonely hobby? (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
I do have to learn that most people don't care about the technical side. They also get tired of hearing me talk about this or that part of my system. I'll learn, someday.

I think maybe some of my friends who used to like music and stereo stuff now don't feel it is a priority anymore, now that we (some of us) have families, and other hobbies. Most of us don't earn a huge wage, so we (they) tend not to spend too much on this stuff. Sure, they say they would like to buy this or that, do this, build that. But I haven't seen too many of my friends even keep up with technology. Not that I am right there on the edge of technology, but I do what I can.

My wife even suprised me by saying that I should make some new friends, ones with an interest in this same hobby! Wow, that was almost a show of support for my addiction! Usually she says, "so what are you doing NOW with that STUPID thing?". Seems she doesn't want me to feel TOO comfortable spending money... She sure doesn't mind watching movies on it, and likes to watch 'important' TV shows with surround sound. She also likes to point out my setup, and happily complains to her friends about how it shakes her china cabinet upstairs, etc.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It does suck that most people don't see (or hear) the subtleties in audio and video that make us (here) all giddy inside.

Baring all the debate that some people think DTS is just as good as DD5.1...As someone who thinks there is a big difference, it's frustrating to get excited about a DVD in DTS and not being able to share that enthusiasm with ordinary people who can't tell the difference, hence not understand your glee.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hear! Hear!

*agrees with Mark Zimmer*

I too am the only one interested HT or Audio gear at home. I have two very modest setups, for my room and the livingroom, and NO one asks me about the set up, but the benefits are communal. When relatives come over, they are treated to a movie experience rather than a mere rental.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks