Anyone else find audio enthusiasm to be a lonely hobby?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by PaulDF, Oct 13, 2003.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I've been really excited about audio, and to a lesser extent video, for the last couple of years now. I'm especially into DIY and home theater setup, etc. Ever since I found this wonderful world of HTF!

Problem is, nobody else I know is all that interested in it. A few co-workers, some car audio guys. People enjoy the big sound, but aren't really all that interested in the technical part of it. Even my own siblings show no interest, and make me feel bad for being excited about my hobby, and my projects.

Maybe some are jealous. Or maybe it's all I ever think or talk about?[​IMG]

Just wondered how much outside interest there was with others out there like me.

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

If it wasn't for this forum, this would be a very lonely hobby for me. I have a good friend who is interested, but not even close to an enthusiast, but thats about it for me. I think people think of our hobby as snobby, finicky and borderline obsessive compulsive, but its amazing who everyone calls for advice on av stuff. IMO, we are kind of perceived the same way guys who knows everything about computers are; Nick Burns anyone?

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

And yet when someone in the friend / family circle drops $$ on electronics, they leave us out of the loop.

Maybe they feel embarrassed about their lack of knowledge and don't want an expert dissing the choices they've made.

4. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I know the feeling well. Not a soul in my family is interested in technology or can turn a wrench for that matter.
    Visits to family members usually involve several 'would you mind looking at this's?' or the occasional 'we want to buy a widget, what would you look for?' It actually gives me a false sense of superiority. I marvel at people who lack what I consider the most basic of skills with hand tools. I can sort of understand the fear of messing with computers (helpcenterphobia ?).
    I personally love the feeling of accomplishment when I build,set-up or fix something.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Oh yeah, I can relate. I have the unforunate reputation as being the guy who's into all that "weird" music and seemingly pointless "obesssion" with sound quality (or, as an ex-girlfriend put it, "What's the difference, as long as you hear it").

Some folks I know are into HT a bit and like their DVDs to sound and look good. But the thinking from pretty much everyone I know is that at least the extra money is worth it for movies buy not for music. This just boggles my mind.

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I'm in the same boat. None of my friends are really in to HT, and my wife doesn't really care either. Everything sounds the same to her. [​IMG]

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Maybe they are all tone deaf.

I too, think they are all nuts. Just remember that we have 'our little secret', and if you get the chance to, mention it in a on-technical way every now and then, if for nothing else then just so they WILL come running to you when they take the plunge in reality!

Glenn

8. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Paul, I don't think it is jealosy. When I start discussing audio, component cables, SACD etc., most of my friends eyes glaze over. They do though seem to enjoy the end result.

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I've had the opposite experience. I've made good friends BECAUSE of this hobby. I've gone on A/V industry tours, visited studios, gotten DVDs/CDs/SACDs, seen/heard great setups, had fun! [​IMG]

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

No one in my family other than me is interested in audio reproduction (HT or stereo) either, despite having a sister who was signed to a major label (Decca).

It's even worst if you're buying any of the high-rez formats like SACD or DVD-A. I am always the only one standing at the SACD/DVD-A section of Best Buy even if the store is packed. Talk about feeling lonely....

11. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Pick any non-athletic hobby (for example), they are almost all the domain of men, and a very limited percentile of men at that.

12. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I agree it is kind of a lonely hobby. This is why it's cool to have a secondary hobby that can be enjoyed with HT:
    BEER[​IMG] It's the hobby friends ask for by name.

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Beer - the great equalizer!

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I guess I'm luckly that in Winnipeg there's a quite healthy population of HT addicts that I've had the pleasure of getting to know though various meets etc.

15. Eric Brunton

Eric Brunton Agent

I am lucky too in the sense i have been influenced and introduced to the hobby by other friends and family who have their own home theaters. They are the reason I bought my first dvd player in 1998 for way too much money.

16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

It all has to do with what people understand when they listen to something. The untrained ear can not pick up on subtle (or even large) differences in quality. The big thing I find is people are only impressed with the bass. If your theater can produce lots of bass, then most will think it's a great system.

Example, I know someone who set up a modest theater in his house. The speakers are nice, but the placement made it difficult to hear the center channel. He had a massive bass speaker running through the floor that made the seats rumble, but all I felt was a bussing in my butt [​IMG]

Everyone who goes there is Blown away with what they hear because it is loud.

17. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

My father got me into the audio stuff a long time ago, he used to sell dynakits and altecs back in the 60's. My mom is happy with a boom box. but I got my dad's passion for electronics and audio gear.

But as far as freinds go, I have one that has over $3000 in dvd's, a 65" misti RPHDTV, and a HTIB from pioneer. sounds ok right? Well, ALL 5 of his speakers sit ontop of his TV. they are smaller than my POS computer speakers. I love making fun of him, but then he threatens to charge rental fees whenever I try to borrow a movie [​IMG]

Another friend continues to berate me about how much $ ive spent and how much of a waste of time and all that my HT is, but he calls every weekend to see if he can rent a movie and bring it over.

others have just been so wowed by my proj screen that they have let me borrow thier xbox/ps2 just so they can play on the big screen in surround.

18. MarkHastings

19. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

It is pretty much a solitary hobby in the making of a system. But it is communal in the results. I don't bother my guests with the tech stuff, but make sure to have plenty of them over (with beer!) to enjoy the proceeds of my efforts.

20. MarkHastings

Mark, you just made me think of a flip side to this argument with your reply about having a "beer". I too try not to talk too enthusiastically with others (about HT) just as I wouldn't want anyone talking entusiastically to me about beer.

I hate when I go to parties and someone complains about the choice of beer. They tell everyone how Bud is a crappy beer and there are so many other better beers out there. To me, I don't care enough to try and find the best beer, I just drink what's available and cheap. This is how some people feel about HT.

It does get annoying when other people don't get it, but try not to let it bother you too much. As long as you know what's good.

Paul, a funny story: I am surrounded by friends who have no clue (or care) about HT. It's so bad that I NEVER talk about it because I always get the same blank stares when I mention even the most simplistic of things. One day I was over the house of one of my female friends and her husband had put together a nice HT set up. He was trying to talk to me about it, but I didn't say much because I was so used to not ever talking about it. The next day, my female friend said how her husband was SO upset that I didn't talk to him about his HT because he was looking for my opinions and didn't get any response. :b Whoops. I was so brain washed into thinking that no one could possibly talk to me about HT that I completely brushed off the one person that could. [​IMG]