Anyone else feel XBL is blowing it?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Definately like the ability to page people who are in a game.

However I can't standvisualizations, I went back to WinAmp for MP3 playing specifically to get away from them, since Microsoft won't let you turn the stupid CPU suckers off

Dave F

Effects Supervisor
It won't have online multiplayer but will support content download
Blah. That's like planning to release it unfinished, IMO. If everything is complete, put it on the disc. If it's not complete, wait.

Jeff, to disable Visulaizations, just click on the Visualization selector in the lower left part of the window and choose "No Visualization".

-Dave

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The fact is that every game has features left out because of time restraints. Usually (especially on a console) you'll never see these unless a sequel of something comes out. This just gives the developers another option to go back and add some cool stuff into the game that they couldn't get in the first time around.

Just because they weren't on there orginally doesn't mean that they're holding them back on purpose.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, downloadable content IS a good thing. All those coming enhancements confirm that XBlive is in fact an evolving service, and NOT just a piece of hardware (e.g. the PS2 network adapter).

Videogame releases (in general) are dry right now (not just XBOX and certainly not just XBlive). To be honest, I am only now getting to all the games I acquired at the end of 2002. But in the interest of full disclosure, some of my gaming time has beed dedicated to Zelda and Metroid, not just XBOX. As far as I am concerned, Brute Force and Midtown Madness are coming at the perfect time. Then the 2K4 sports titles will arrive, followed by the predictable flood of great holiday games.

I have nothing to complain about. Well, except EA not supporting XBlive. That really annoys me. SSX 3 would be sweet online.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
My only real complaint is the server issue.
Ghost Recon would have been so much better if it could have been played with 16 people.

Hopefully RTCW will be such a game.
If not - Halo 2 had damn well better - if MS really wants to keep this thing going...

Otherwise - I'm happy with XBL.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
So talking to them through the dashboard should save you a shitload in long distance.
I don't yet have XBL, but this is a MAJOR selling point for me. I imagine it will be for a lot of others as well. How's the sound quality of XBL? Would this be P2P or through MS' servers?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Everyone I hear complain on HTF about XBL is not in our HTFGAMING group. You need to join us for a few games... heck, I feel that I have gotten DOUBLE my money's worth in the first 5 months I have had XBL.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Everyone I hear complain on HTF about XBL is not in our HTFGAMING group.
Do you guys play Moto GP at all? I bought Xbox live when it was first released, and played only NFL 2k3 for several months. I had the MotoGP demo on the Live disc, but didnt even try it out until this weekend. It is amazing. My brother (who just got live this weekend) and I played for hours.

Would be good to race against some HTF'ers!

Dave F

Effects Supervisor
The fact is that every game has features left out because of time restraints...Just because they weren't on there orginally doesn't mean that they're holding them back on purpose
If they are announcing the downloadable content 6 months in advance of shipping the game, I think it's pretty clear that that they are holding back on purpose. Either that or they have an extraordinary ability to predict what they won't be able to finish in time.

-Dave

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Do you guys play Moto GP at all?
Nobody seems to play it around here much. I play it all the time and have only gotten together with one other person from HTF once (which was when someone else who didn't show up tried to organize a get together). If you want to play some GP, you can add me onto your list. I tend to be on late nights most of the time though, and once MotoGP 2 hits, I won't be playing the first one anymore

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Like Rob said . There are a lot of people on this forum that have live that have not come on for at least one HTF group play. Its a very fun experience playing mech assault, ghost recon, motogp or any other online games with people you chat with every day. We play a lot of PSO lately, and wolfenstein is coming, but Thursday Night is mech assault night. Ghost Recon probably going to do it wed night this week. If anyone wants a night for anything else all they have to do is ask. Heck even if you want to host let me know and ill post and notify everyone in group play

Also When live first came out the first members of our HTF group played MotoGP the first few weeks. We all pretty much stunk it up big time :) But with MotoGP 2 coming im sure more people will pick up the full version of the game to unlock everything and be on a competitive level with everyone else

capt

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Features, levels, etc aren't usually discarded at the last minute,
I disagree. Frequently levels & features /are/ discarded right near the end of a project. As schedules get tighter & tighter, it becomes clearer & clearer that things on the "to do" list are just not doable for certain deadlines, and things get dropped.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Not true Rob, I've played Ghost Recon with you guys a few times but the game just didn't thrill me. I rented Mech Assault as I know that's popular with you guys, but I hated it. As for PSO, there's no way I'm paying extra to play a game on live (atleast at this point it time). I've got until February for XBox live, so I'll be around for a bit. However, I think the problem with me WRT XBox live is 1)lack of compelling online games and 2)my newfound lack of interest in online gaming in general. I've been playing fewer games lately and when I do it's always offline ones. We'll see if my habits change once the semester ends and I'm a free man(atleast until I find employment).

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I do not agree that XBL is blowing it, but I do agree that certain issues need to be taken care of. The bandwidth issues, so we can play a full 16 man game and not have lag. But heck I'll even take a full 12 man for right now. And lets not forget Wolfenstein comes out this week and should put a new spin on your live concerns. Dont forget Midnight Club II is coming also. Id say they are doing pretty well IMO with games out and coming out. But the big push is going to be in november when XBL goes for renewal. There should be lots of good games to choose from to get people to stay and more signed on before christmas. Hold on XBL beleivers, dont stray yet, the light is just around the corner.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TsunamiMike