Anyone else feel XBL is blowing it?

Blu

Screenwriter
After getting a fast start out of the gate it seems that the XBL is kind of stumbling now. There just isn't as many games out now as I was hoping for.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Patience, grasshopper.

Brute Force, Halo 2. 2004 will be the year that Live takes off. It is still in its infancy.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
My hopes are high for Return to Castle Wolfenstein this week. After the Clone Wars disappointment, I'm really looking for another quality Live game.

Damien

Supporting Actor
yeah, we have seen this topic come up quite often lately. Microsoft didn't deliver what was promised. Since launch, there is one exclusive game(and moto gp) worth playing on it, that is not excusable. Then again what has Sony offered? I guess though for Microsoft to ever expect online to take off seriously, they need to start offer more than the normal company.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Since launch, there is one exclusive game(and moto gp) worth playing on it, that is not excusable.
Only one? For you maybe.

Although my work schedule has prohibited me from playing recently, I enjoy(ed) Ghost Recon, Mech Assault & Capcom vs. SNK. And there are a LOT of people who play the Sega 2K3 series of sports games as well.

Damien

Supporting Actor
Only one? For you maybe. Although my work schedule has prohibited me from playing recently, I enjoy(ed) Ghost Recon, Mech Assault & Capcom vs. SNK. And there are a LOT of people who play the Sega 2K3 series of sports games as well.
I am not trying to attack the service in general, but I think more exclusive games would lure more PC gamers because a lot of people who can get on live(own broadband) also have a pc to play online with.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Plus, there's supposed to be a whole bunch of upgrades coming to the service also. Anyone with the newest (Halo 2) issue of OXM may want to confirm this news as I'm stealing it from another forum...

Coming this fall all our Xbox live dashboards are going to change according to the current issue of OXM. Your dashboard will be more personalized and will be a central hub where you can talk to your buddies without having to go through a specific game!!! The new interface is said to make downloads easier. You'll be able to move music and photos to your Xbox! In Project Gotham Racing 2 you'll be able to upload your ghost so other players can race it!! Sweet! You can go to a personalized web page and as long as your friends log on to the service you'll be notified via your PC, cell phone or MSN Instant Messenger. See ya later Sony!

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Now, I'm a newbie to XBL (I've only had it for about 2-3 weeks) but so far I like it and enjoy playing Mechassault, MotoGP, and Unreal with other people. I've hosted many of games on Live and enjoyed everyone of them. My only real dissapointment with Live is the lack of games for it but I think RTCW may change this. The ability to upgrade games by content download is great and is a great way to revitalize old games (looking foward to CTF on Mechassault). All in all I'm pretty happy with my XBL purchase and agree with many others in this post about being patient. The service is just in its infancy and some killer live games will be coming soon.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'm not digging Live. There just aren't any games that really appeal to me. I may try Wolfenstein but I want a NEW good exclusive non sports live game that isn't a port of a PC title. I hear Deathrow is cool so I may try that. In reality though, I've only got 3 XBox games and I'm struggling to find XBox games that I'm interested in whether they be Live or not.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. Those Live enhancements aren't exactly knocking my socks off. Move music to my Xbox? Already can. Move photos -- what's the point? Chat with friends out of game -- isn't that what IM is for?

I'm already a subscriber, and likely will renew just to play Halo 2. But those new features wouldn't entice me to join, and Sony has got a virtual boatload of promising online games coming up -- including several from third-party developers who theoretically COULD also support Xbox Live, but aren't (and not just EA.)

Microsoft better get another head of steam up fast. . .

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Actually those enhancements sound pretty cool given I don't have to buy any new equipment. I especially like the idea of chatting outside of games. As for Sony, I was sorta interested in Modelista but I rented it and it really sucks. Probably only game I'll get online for it is SOCOM 2, nothing else they have coming out has grabbed my attention from what I've seen and read. Hopefully it won't be as bug ridden as the first version, walking into walls, having 56Kers hack their way into it and ruin games, and server overloads. On the other hand, Amped 2, PGR2, Halo 2, and that air combat game that seems to have Live again all look great, will pick'em all up probably.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I guess im in the other boat. So many games i want to get not enough time. Lately thoughs stuff i was looking forward too hasnt been that great. But with wolfenstein coming, the two online car games,GR:Island Thunder and everything else later this year im happy with live. I play Mech and PSO pretty much all the time with ghost recon here and there.

capt

James St

Supporting Actor
You can go to a personalized web page
Now if only they would start hosting games

I wouldn't say XBL is blowing it though. May is going to be a big month for Live. Expectations are high for Wolfenstein coming out this Wednesday and E3 later in the month will give everyone an idea of what to expect for the rest of the year. There is a lot of time between now and November when many subscriptions will need to be renewed. The upgrades mentioned sound promising. When they say move music to your Xbox are they referring to doing this via a networked PC?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
When they say move music to your Xbox are they referring to doing this via a networked PC?
Nope! It's a $40 piece of software that supports playback of mp3s, slideshows, and "visualisations" ala winamp's plugins, by WildTangent. It comes with a connector apparently that plugs into a controller port & hooks up to your PC.

There are enhancements coming to the standard Live setup, but this is a seperate purchase. I really like the idea of voicechat with friends & not needing to be in a game - one of the problems I've had arranging games with friends in the UK is that if there's a problem & they're in a game, it's really hard to "catch up" with them. This will solve that. Be interesting to see how it works in practice.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmersmary