anyone else feel like sub volume to low at ref.?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jason celaya, Jan 28, 2002.

1. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I have always calibrated my polk psw650 to approx an avg of 5db above ref. using VE. Yet, unless I have jurassic park or titan AE on ...it dosent sound loud enough. Is it just that i have a shitty sub? Or is it that VE dosent add the 10db compensation when it sends out the sub tone? Any thoughts?

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I find that whether a sub is "loud enough" depends on the actual level the system is set to. If you're listening at actual reference level, I can't imagine the sub not sounding perfect when calibrated the same as the other speakers. If you're at 20dB below, the sub may sound weak even if it's the same according to the meter.

Another possiblity is that that sub may not dig all that deep to begin with, and turning it up is an attempt to gain some impact.

3. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Jason, here's something to try...
    Buy a $10 test tone CD such as the one at www.stryke.com and make sure that you're not seeing a fall-off in volume at lower frequencies. Make sure to account for the inaccuracies of the RS SPL meter at low frequencies.
    --Steve

4. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

Thx...i'll give it a whirl.