What's new

Anyone else excited about The Hulk? (1 Viewer)

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I think this flick is gonna be great.
Heres a nice little article that really gets me excited for this film:
Hulk Begins Principal Photography
Posted on Wednesday, March 27 @ 17:32:24 EST by Scott
A press release was issued on the start of filming of The Incredible Hulk.
Universal Pictures Begins Principal Photography On 'The Hulk,' Directed by Ang Lee
UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., March 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal Pictures has begun principal photography on "The Hulk," the feature film based upon one of Marvel Comics' most memorable and popular superhero series and directed by acclaimed filmmaker Ang Lee ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon") from a screenplay by James Schamus. The film's producers are Gale Anne Hurd, Marvel Studios Chief Executive Officer Avi Arad, James Schamus and Larry Franco. Marvel Comics founder Stan Lee and Kevin Feige are the executive producers.
Eric Bana ("Chopper," "Black Hawk Down") stars as scientist Bruce Banner, whose inner demons transform him into The Hulk in the aftermath of a catastrophic experiment. Bana plays both the human Banner and -- through groundbreaking visual effects technology provided by the Oscar(R)-winning Industrial Light + Magic (ILM) -- the superhuman Hulk.
Jennifer Connelly, who just received the Academy Award(R) for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of Alicia Nash in the Oscar(R)-winning "A Beautiful Mind" and won rave reviews for her performance as a hapless Coney Island resident in "Requiem For A Dream," portrays Betty Ross, whose scientific genius unwittingly helps unleash The Hulk, and whose love for Banner finds its impossible resolution in the film's denouement.
Sam Elliott, who recently starred opposite Mel Gibson as the no-nonsense Sgt. Maj. Basil Plumley in Randall Wallace's "We Were Soldiers," plays Betty's father, General Ross. Josh Lucas, who appeared opposite Connelly in "A Beautiful Mind" as Professor Martin Hansen, plays Glenn Talbot, a romantic and professional rival of Bruce Banner's. Academy Award(R) nominee Nick Nolte, whose recent credits include "Affliction" and "The Thin Red Line," plays a sinister figure who returns from Banner's past to haunt him.
Lee's behind-the-camera team includes cinematographer Fred Elmes ("The Ice Storm," "Wild at Heart," "Blue Velvet"), Academy Award(R) winning production designer Rick Heinrichs ("Planet of the Apes," "Sleepy Hollow," "The Big Lebowski," "Fargo"), costume designer Marit Allen ("Ride with the Devil," "Eyes Wide Shut," "Smilla's Sense of Snow") and editor Tim Squyres (all of Ang Lee's films and Robert Altman's "Gosford Park"). ILM's Dennis Muren, an eight-time Academy Award(R) winner for films including "E. T.: The Extra-Terrestrial," "The Abyss" and "Jurassic Park," will supervise visual effects.
Ang Lee's concept for the film combines all the elements of a blockbuster visual effects-intensive superhero movie with the brooding romance and tragedy of Universal's classic horror films -- for The Hulk is at once a superhero and a monster, a wish fulfillment and a nightmare. Lee and his team have gone back to the moving, early incarnations of the character created in May 1962 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, staying true to the subversive spirit of the early Marvel years, while completely updating and projecting The Hulk into the dangers and aspirations of contemporary times.
Universal Pictures is a unit of Universal Studios ( www.universalstudios.com ), a part of CANAL+, the TV and Film division of Vivendi Universal, a new global leader in media and communications.

Sounds fantastic! Great cast, great crew, great director. Cant miss.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Well being the patriotic Aussie that I am, of course i'm excited. I grew up with Eric Bana on the TV, once a week on a sketch comedy show and it's great to see him in Hollywood.
Also having Jennifer Connelly can't hurt either :)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Sam Elliott, who recently starred opposite Mel Gibson as the no-nonsense Sgt. Maj. Basil Plumley in Randall Wallace's "We Were Soldiers," plays Betty's father, General Ross.
That is perfect casting. I just hope he trims the moustache down a bit. ;)
I grew up with the Saturday morning cartoon and read the Hulk comic for a while, so I'm excited about this one. More than Spider-Man or X-Men.
Thanks for the news.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
And the fact that Ang Lee is directing it just as me more excited. He's gonna do a fantastic job.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Eric Bana (a God). Jennifer Connelly (a Goddess). Ang Lee (another God). I'm all over this one.
Also, Brooke Langton has just signed on. :emoji_thumbsup:

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I hadn't noticed that Elliot had signed on to the film, and he's one of the coolest actors of all time. Got to admit, this is probably the most well cast superhero film I've read about. Not a weak link among any of the characters.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'm looking forward to this as well - however Spidey is my favourite so that has me more excited.

Also, I religously watched the Hulk TV show with Bill Bixby - who I always liked - dating myself here - from My Favourite Martian, Courtship of Eddie's Father, and The Magician. Given the limitations of a TV show and the technology at the time - the TV show did a great job.

So I'll be going into this movie with ambivalent feelings as I try to separate my feelings for the TV show from the upcoming movie.

OTOH the Hulk movie does have an impressive pedigree all the way around.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The signing of Ang Lee several months ago signed me up to see this one. What could have been a Godzilla stinker has immediately become a real contender. A director with vision, intelligence, and the necessary pedigree to ignore committees. I like it
I just read that Dennis Muren is the VFX supervisor, which ratchets up my enthusiasm quite a bit. Getting ILM is one thing...it only takes money. Getting Dennis Muren is a whole other element...he pioneered every worthwhile cinematic effect involving computers for the last 15 years (from The Abyss to T2 to JP, etc.). He's been the MVP of ILM for some time, and it bodes very well. This is easily my second most anticipated film of 2003 (how stupid does that sound:D )!
Count me in,
Chuck

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Ang Lee's involvement is all that it takes for me to get excited about this film. Had it been the typical choice for this kind of film, a Michael Bay or Renny Harlin type, I would only be interested because of the Hulk name. Ang Lee brings so much art, dignity and grace to the project, that I'm very surprised that he got the job. Usually these movies are all about who can blow shit up the biggest. I'm hoping that this is a new trend in Hollywood. Instead of focusing on the F/X, which are pretty much automatically good these days, they're going with somebody that knows how to develop a STORY.

Plus the fact that he's casted Bana in the lead has me stoked. He was good in Black Hawk Down, but he was amazing in Chopper. (If you haven't seen it, run out and rent it.) I think he's one of the best up and coming actors around. (What's up with all these Aussies?) Connely and Elliot round out the cast very nicely. I can't wait to see this.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Have any of you seen Pumping Iron with Arnold and Lou Feringno (original TV hulk and bodybuidler, Mr Universe)? Remember the silly conversation between Lou and his dad?

Well, picture this as the two watch this new version of the Hulk:

Lou: Look dad, they have to use CGI to make muscles.

Dad: Yeah Louie, they should have asked you. Then they wouldn't have to spend all that money on special effect.

Lou: This is a bunch of shit. Those muscles just don't look real.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Had it been the typical choice for this kind of film, a Michael Bay or Renny Harlin type, I would only be interested because of the Hulk name.
Waht is a "typical" choice for a superhero movie anymore? Considering guys that you might not expect doing this type of film, like Singer, Raimi, and Del Toro. Guys who actually have their own vision. Actually, the typical choices would be Donner, Schumacher, and Burton. I'm glad they are doing other things.

It is going to be interesting to see where Ang Lee goes with this. It is a big departure for him, even with CTHD under his belt.

Jason

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Although I'm also excited for The Hulk, I'm trying not to be "actively excited" just yet.
I'll just concentrate on Spider-Man, Star Wars 2, The Two Towers, Harry Potter 2 and all the other massive flicks between now and then. :)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
No, not interested at all. It has CGI in it! It's gonna suck.:D
Of course I am.:)

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I get excited about any film with Ang Lee's name on it. I read The Hulk for about five or six years when I was a kid, so yeah, I'd say I'm prertty interested in this one. :)
Rob

I have faith in this movie, with a great cast, an awesome director, visual fx by ILM and makeup by Rick Baker. I just can't see anything stoping this film, I mean, WOW! Just describing it gives me goose bumps.
tee hee
:D

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Waht is a "typical" choice for a superhero movie anymore? Considering guys that you might not expect doing this type of film, like Singer, Raimi, and Del Toro.
I was talking more about big budget summer action flicks in general. Yes, of late there have been much better choices specifically for the comic book adaptions. We seem to be on a good run of comic films lately.

Luc D

Second Unit
Lee is certainly an interesting choice.
My only fear is that he will be castrated by the studio. I mean this is a film with a massive budget that's expected to generate tons of cash and made so that 13 year old boys will love it and buy all the toys and other production tie-ins like Burger King kids meals and all that other junk.
I'm optimistic Lee can make it work, but a lot of these films tend to fail. Just look at last summer's Planet of the Apes remake.
And part of me is also a little sad Steve Buscemi wasn't cast as Bruce Banner. How perfect would that have been? :)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Hey, where is the green-haired Samson (was that his name)? And that big-brained villian!? I haven't read it, but I have been intrigued by the new Marvel series called "Banner" where the Hulk story is kind of being re-told. More of a Frankenstein meets X-Files. The Hulk is barely shown. It is more from the perspective (as far as I can see) from the chase. They come upon a part of town that is torn to pieces and they have to figure out why the Hulk was there and where he might be headed. Looks cool. No supervillians as far as I can tell. I wonder if this is more the take they will be using?

Phil

PS I don't think Ang Lee will be castrated. He seems to have been pretty independent in all the films I have seen of his. He has his people on crew, writing, etc. on everything. This looks to be yet another unique film to add to his catalogue of great films. People thought he was an odd choice for a English costume drama/comedy, but look at Sense and Sensibility!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks