What's new

Anyone else enjoying Whoopi? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
I thought this show would suck but I find the current events humor to be refreshing. The Persian handyman clearly steals the spotlight and I thought the Biggie/Tupac comment tonight was great. Anyone know how the ratings have been? Thanks.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's only on its second episode, but I gather the first did very well, much better than expected, despite the critical hammering the show got. How well it retains those ratings, especially with the other networks starting original programming again in the next few weeks, will be interesting to see.

MattGentry

Second Unit
I must say, it is far better than I thought it was going to be. However, I still must say there is FAR too much "current event" humor for my tastes. Making fun of Arabs and crap like that...it's just dumb.

But aside from that, I'm enjoying other aspects of the show. I will probably stick it out, and see how it goes. However, should the humor continue along it's current path, I'll end up tuning out...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I must say, it is far better than I thought it was going to be. However, I still must say there is FAR too much "current event" humor for my tastes. Making fun of Arabs and crap like that...it's just dumb.
They were making fun of everyone. Geeez.

--
H

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I've watched the show the past 2 weeks, along with Happy Family (which I think is funnier), and I think it's ok.

Seems to be trying to hard in my opinion--throwing in a bit too much current events, forcing some humor, etc.

I don't think this one will last.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I liked the promo where Whoopi said, "I can't wait to read your letters." I noticed they dropped that line.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I only caught one episode of Happy Family and didn't find it memorable. I'm a big fan of John Laroquette but didn't think he was able to shine in the ensemble. But I won't judge the show based on one episode...

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
We watched the ep about the brief case and the threat level colors. Actually, it was pretty funny.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I watched all four repeats last night. Not bad at all and would qualify for future viewing provided there aren't other programs I'd rather watch in their time slot.

I was surprised to see Melanie Paxson who plays Sara Brennan in Happy Family. I'm not sure but isn't she the same woman who appears in a number of TV product commercials? The actor voice is similar but not quite as over-the-top as the commercial voice. If that makes any sense.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I was surprised to see Melanie Paxson who plays Sara Brennan in Happy Family. I'm not sure but isn't she the same woman who appears in a number of TV product commercials? The actor voice is similar but not quite as over-the-top as the commercial voice. If that makes any sense.
Yea I think she does commercials for Glad trash bags or tupperware or something.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Huh? Did you mean Hollywood Squares?
Get it? "Anyone else enjoying whoopi?"

They used to call sex "whoopie" on the Newlywed Game and the thread title made me laugh.

I know, my sense of humor is that of a 12-year old boy sometimes. ;)

Al_S

Second Unit
Did anybody see the episode of Whoppi where her mom and dad come to visit? Is it my imagination or was that a "pot leaf" on her sweather?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I just discovered this show. I looked on the net and saw only one season for it. I don’t see a second season for it this year. What happened? It got cancelled?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Too bad! But if it was that bad to get cancelled how did it get a full season!? Maybe whoopi didn't want to make more than one? Any DVD release?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think it just got lucky, Sam. I liked it all the way through, but towards the end they started moving it around to new days and times.

I could guess that when the May sweeps came around, the political jokes were running hot and heavy, and it probably got more than a few complaints from some viewers.

Glenn

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But if it was that bad to get cancelled how did it get a full season!?
Initial good ratings that fell off over the course of the season, especially (if I recall correctly) once it was on in the same slot as American Idol. Then, come May, the guys making NBC's schedule looks at what it costs, what it pulls in, and gambles that something else would be better business. Happens a lot.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> it probably got more than a few complaints from some viewers.

So? The network should go by ratings & whether they think the show has long-term potential. The complainers can watch something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks