1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else enjoying Progect Gotham Racing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_Dal, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Michael_Dal

Michael_Dal Extra

I just got an X-box a few days ago and to my suprise my favorite game so far has been PGR. Really fun game. I also have Halo and DOA3, both good games, but Gotham is the most fun and addictive of the three.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Yeah I like this game too.

It gets very hard very quickly, yet I keep going back for more...damn addictive. And the feeling of accomplishment when you finally beat the Ford Focus is a good substitute for drugs, I tell ya!

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I enjoyed Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast, which this game is very similar to, and plan to pick up Project Gotham Racing for the Xbox. I am trying to pace myself with the game purchases for now, though. [​IMG] Halo's keeping me occupied, & I won't be able to resist picking up Max Payne next week, I'm sure.
    -Dan B.
    still pissed they didn't include a proper in-car viewpoint in PGR

4. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Dan, how much better is PGR than MSR? I'm wondering because I was considering waiting for the next installment before I bought it.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Well I rented it and thought gt3 was more fun. I knbow they are not really the same type of game, but I like AF Delta Storm more than that game. The race tracks just seem too small, even for a city road.

Only thing I liked about it was when I did the code to unlock everything and raced all the exotic cars. (Enter your name as Nosliw.)

6. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Ryan, I have yet to play PGR, so I couldn't give you any personal opinions on improvements over MSR. You may want to check the reviews at sites like games.ign.com & www.gamespot.com .
    -Dan B.

7. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I was enjoying PGR till I exchanged my Xbox 2 days ago and left PGR in my old machine [​IMG]

8. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I picked this game up tonight, so I'll be posting some impressions & comparisons to MSR this weekend.

9. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

That sucks David. Any way you could get it back, without having to buy it again?

10. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you liked this game better than GT3. I have GT3 and I'm not to happy with it because its so damn repetitive....get a car..max it out...get another car...max it out...

I really liked the ridgeracer series on PS and I was wondering if PGR was like that, you know powerslids and cool shit like that. I guess what I'm saying is it fun or realistic?

BTW, no offense to the GT3 people, I realize its fun for what it is. Its just not my cup of tea.

Thanks

marshall

11. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Well, I've had a chance to play this game a bit & I'm having fun with it. The handling of the vehicles has changed a bit from MSR. They are a bit looser, which I like, and they can get airborne. That is fun in San Francisco, where you will get airborne!
    The cars themselves look great and are very convincing. For the first time, something in a videogame looks so good that I don't really question whether or not it's real. I guess 16,000 polygons is adequate for a car model. Other than that, the graphics haven't changed too much from MSR. There is some bump-mapping & additional lighting effects, and a little less aliasing than MSR has. I'm usually concentrating on the road & other cars, so the backgrounds are good enough most of the time that I don't notice it.
    I've noticed the game is quite a bit easier than MSR so far. I read that they wanted a more gradual learning curve compared to MSR, so I trust that the difficulty will pick up. (I'm at the end of the amateur level right now) The Kudos system has been tweaked also so that you can earn Kudos for driving "clean and fast" as well as performing "stylish" moves. Another change for the better, IMO.
    I still find many of the tracks to be too dark, with no option to change the time of day like MSR had. This does detract from my enjoyment of the game. Even with all of the lights off in my living room, there are many tracks where I simply can not see the road in front of me. [​IMG]
    In an interview with Bizarre Creations, they said that MSR was too dark for the NTSC market because they didn't test it on anything except for PAL TV sets. What's their excuse this time?
    Since I'm bitching, I am disappointed that there is no in car viewpoint, since that is my preferred view in driving games. This would help the visibility issue. I do not enjoy driving in a first person viewpoint without a dashboard & steering wheel present because I feel disconnected from the car. However, there are a multitude of camera angles to choose from, including the option to fine tune your own camera...nice.
    This is a first rate driving game overall & it deserves a [​IMG]. Now I can't wait for Pro Race Driver, Colin McRae Rally 3, Rallisport Challenge, Wreckless, Test Drive, Circus Maximus, Crash, Master Rallye, Maximum Chase, Sega GT 2002, & Spy Hunter. ( did I miss any good ones? [​IMG] )
    -Dan B.
    might be a racing game fan...

12. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I just wanted to post a minor update about the darkness level. I tried increasing the brightness one notch on my display, and I haven't had any complaints since then...Gee, that was difficult... :b My set is calibrated to the NTSC standard using Avia Guide to Home Theater, but I guess that's just a touch too dark for PGR.

I'm having mucho fun with the game! It gets more enjoyable as your driving ability increases. The challenge that was present in MSR is still there. I'm even enjoying trying to get Kudos in the arcade races, something I didn't get into so much in MSR.

-Dan

wishes Porsches came with missiles to take care of PGR's evil AI opponents