What's new

Anyone else dissaponted that DSOTM is not coming on DVDA (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Crushed!
Nothing against SACD.
Just wanted; 24/96 [would 'accept' 24/48] original stereo mix & DTS original quad mix.
Is there a stereo [and is it original or folddown] mix on the SACD?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Ed,

SACD requires a stereo mix, although I can't vouch for the heritage of that stereo mix.

However, I would be terribly surprised if this were from anything but an original analog stereo master straight to DSD.

Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Great quote Michael...where is it from?
I don't think the stereo version needs to be remixed as long as they use the better Harvest UK source tapes.
Some fairly encouraging words from the CEO of EMI...maybe we get The Beatles soon! :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Just watch: after the first couple of months (after the sacd cheerleaders buy their copy and the few audiophile/true Pink Floyd fans buy their copy) I'll bet the sales of the sacd-DSOTM start sliding quickly down the toilet.
LJ

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'll bet the sales of the sacd-DSOTM start quickly sliding down the toilet.
It seems obvious from this comment you are just trying to spark another format war war. :rolleyes
I bet most Pink Floyd fans go out and buy this one again and I bet the surround sound intices more than a handful to buy a Super Audio or Universal player.
We will see what happens-I'm sure Sony will share some numbers come June or so after the album has been out a while.
If you don't want to buy Lance, it's a free country-keep your money and let us music lovers enjoy one of the best sellers of all time...

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lance, I bet DSOTM gets back in the top 200 again and hangs around. Maybe not as long as first time, but for quite a while. If DVD-A had a CD layer it proably could do about as well in that format IMO. Maybe someday? This album is destined to be issued and reissued quite a few more times, me thinks... Best wishes!

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be willing to bet DSOTM doesn't sell as many copies as 'Forty Licks'. Why?
1. 'Forty Licks' was essentially a 'new' album. No, not new songs, but they provided a new way to enjoy the Stones; remastered, plus many more songs then any other 'best of' set. Forty Stones songs on 2 CD's??? Damn, where's my wallet?
2. DSOTM already has a few remasters done to it. In order to sell it to the CD-only crowd (read: nearly everyone), Sony will have to convince then that *this* remaster is so much better than the past remasters. I don't think this is going to be an easy sell.
3. In order for a Floyd fan to enjoy the surround aspects of this SACD, they a) have to know it exists, and if the "Forty Licks' packaging is any indication of how Sony will sell hybrids, they probably won't; b) have a surround sound system set up; c) be one of the tiny % of the population that owns a SACD player; and d) actually *know* they have a SACD player and not just a new Sony DVD player. (So that would make like, what, 17 Floyd fans?):)
Many more Floyd fans would enjoy this new surround mix had it been done on DVD-A, no question about that...
I've asked this question before, but no one seems to have an answer for me...what are the sales figures for *any* of the single-layer SACDs? This would give us a good indication of just how popular SACD is becoming, in that people are willing to buy a whole new component for their system (or new HTIB) because of it.
Rob

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
what are the sales figures for *any* of the single-layer SACDs?
Sony refuses to publish any sales numbers to date. The most recent DVD-A sales figures I have seen were mentioned here:
http://www.medialinenews.com/issues/...er0120_2.shtml
This article specifically states that SACD sales totals were not available. I think the bottom line is neither format is selling terribly well, and aside from the Stones, Hybrids are not selling that well either.
J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
think the bottom line is neither format is selling terribly well, and aside from the Stones, Hybrids are not selling that well either.
This is too subjective for me. What, for instance, is the definition of well?

If you argue the same number of big CD albums then SACD is handicapped as a new format with little marketing and little awareness at this point.

If you argue growth in the format and signs that things are grabbing hold of early adopters, then IMHO that is clearly the case based on new hardware introductions, pro studio adoption, new superstar title announcements, and high end media coverage.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
What, for instance, is the definition of well?
How about more then 10,000 copies per title? That would be my definitiion of well in the current state of Hi-res releases. What single layer SACD discs, or Hybrids (other then the Stones) have sold this many copies? We have some numbers for a handful of DVD-A titles, but nothing from SACD.

J

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Here is the quote source: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=19866834
for CD players. Pricing will be compatible with a regular full price frontline CD release.”
Ugh, when I read that, this horrible little voice in the back of my head says "you know they fucked it up, you just know it!"
But I still doubt it. But then, who would have imagined that only digital remixes (with replacement music and echo and crap) of the first six ZZ Top albums would be available on CD after all these years? Stranger things have happened than a remixed DSotM.
Everybody wants to make predictions about this SACD. My prediction is that bootleg DTS CDs of the new 5.1 mix will make the rounds within two weeks of the disc's release.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Longtime Floyd engineer James Guthrie did the new multichannel mix. I don't know what to expect from a new stereo mix but I'm going to trust Guthrie didn't fuck it up, at least until I hear it for myself. On the radio.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Anybody who wants to reach me on 3/3 can forget about it! I'll be taking the day off, turning the phone off, turning the lights off, and turning my head on! :D
And the rest of you can enjoy the radio broadcasts, the DTS-bootlegs, the old CDs, or simply eat cake for all I care! :p)
(Aw hell, you can all come over, listen to some tunes, and have cake -- we can watch the cat freak out to another new multichannel mix!)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
But if they remixed the stereo, I'll only be listening to the surround on the new disc.
I think people should keep in mind three things from a record engineering standpoint:
1. Guthrie is likely to work very closely with all band members to preserve their view of the original album. As such a remastering/remix may be better than the original.
2. Remastering would employ better circuits and pro gear and likely result in a cleaner sonic presentation on both the MC and stereo layers.
3. Remixing may not be a bad thing either as it could allow certain of the DSOTM "tape effects" to be more cleanly integrated per the band's original desire for the album and create a smoother sonic landscape to the masterpiece.
I think we should hold off judgments until we see what Mr. Guthrie can do with a new studio of DSD gear. He suprise us on the upside. :)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
EMI IMHO should put out both DVD-A/SACD versions of DSOTM. If it was The Wall or Wish You Were Here I could understand being that they are Sony property. I would assume that EMI thinks everyone that has just a DVD player is going to be happy with another cd version of DSOTM. Silly EMI....I'll wait till the reviews come in on the surround mix then consider upgrading to a combo player. Most people I know are not "audiophiles" and when they hear a good DTS surround mix(Hotel California, Nightfly to name two) on their DVD player and their HTIB systems they are more than happy. And no slight to the dedicated "audiophiles" on the forum there are more of them than you and they will have more of a say on the survival of a "Hi-Rez" format. Let those who enjoy SACD have their cake but don't forget the people you are trying convince to upgrade to a "Hi-Rez" format who just have a simple DVD player. I could only imagine how much better "Hotel....Nightfly" sounds with a DVD-A player. We are the people you are trying to convince and "gentle" nudge in the direction is needed not "SACD Only".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks