What's new

Anyone else dislike the cover art for the 'SPEED' 5 star edition? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The original cover and poster art for Speed has always been one of my favorites, especially the LD cover, the bus was bigger on the LD cover. I love artwork that conveys movement and sums up the film in question, and the original cover art for Speed did that perfectly with the image of the bus leaping through the flames and that super sized pic of Keanu's face on the left.
Which is why I really don't care for the altered artwork for the new dvd, for starters the bus is mirror imaged, but the destination sign still reads '33 DOWNTOWN via freeway' correctly. And the sign in the window that reads 'EX33' is on the wrong side. I'm so used to the bus being on the right side of the artwork. And second, I can't stand what they've done with Keanu's picture, the original was more simpler, him wearing the SWAT gear on the new cover just doesn't work for a cover art choice. Third is the new lettering, the original bright orange day glow lettering had more style I think. Or even the red lettering on the LD cover was better.
It's rare that FOX would feature anything but the original artwork for their dvd releases, anybody know why they changed this one?
And just out of curiosity, can anybody provide me with a high resolution scan of the original artwork, reformatted to fit over the picture area of the new dvd leaving the silver parts visible?

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
You should see my region 4 version. Not only do we get a crappy single-disc case with one of those extra disc holders flapping around for the second disc, but our cover art looks worse!
It's the same picture, but under the lousy new logo are the words 'Special Edition' in that crap font, and instead of the r1's cool 'Five Star Collection' shiny silver border around the picture we get a cheap looking gold with faint diagonal stripes as a pattern.
Although I've seen the r1 disc art, and thankfully the r4's don't have Keanu wearing lipstick :)
I've also got the first r4 release which has the original cover art, and the disc art is a lot better too.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I hand't thought much about this one - but you're right, John.

This is some fairly weak cover ar!. Not awful, but it probably should have been more attractive. (Not that it matters all that much. All I ever see is the spine!)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just noticed something else too, I was looking at my theatrical poster and then at the dvd cover, on the dvd art THE DOOR IS MISSING! However all the objects such as the side-view mirror, license plate, the little vent next to the GM emblem, and billboard on the side indicate that that is indeed the side of the bus where the door should be! :rolleyes
I know, i've gone off the deep end again havn't I? (looking around confusingly) Where the hell did I put that Prozac!? ;)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What they should have done was use the original artwork and put the silver border (superbit style) around it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Movie posters are rubbish these days.
I rather like the new Matrix Reloaded teaser with the mylar backing. And the advance one-sheet for Star Trek: Nemesis is pretty good. I'll probably end up getting the one-sheet for The Kid Stays in the Picture, but that's because I thought the movie was a riot.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks