What's new

Anyone else disappointed by Call of Duty 3 (Xbox 360)? (1 Viewer)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I was really looking forward to this game. I'm on the 9th mission (out of a total 14), and here's what I've experienced thus far:

1. My friendly A.I. teammates "pop out and in" of the enviornments and sometimes "airwalk" to objective areas above ground (instead of using stairs).

2. The friendly A.I. teammates stand in the way all the time and are some of the dumbest fighters I've ever seen in a game. This has lead to many unnecessary deaths. Nowhere near the quality of COD2. Also, why are three friendly soldiers standing directly in front of a single Nazi soldier unable to kill him?

3. Grenades seem to be rather ineffective. Enemy soldiers standing directly on top of them are, at times, not phased (much less killed) by them.

4. The sounds of the guns seems very sedated - sort of like how Doom 3's guns were. They lack the visceral punch of COD2.

5. Why are there so many exploding barrels everywhere and why don't enemy soliders get killed when one explodes next to them?

6. Why is my character unable to walk over the smallest objects on the ground? (e.g., small rocks, a piece of lumber, etc.).

7. Why is it that when I'm prone and being shot, my character is literally blown back a good 10 to 15 yards back instead of simply taking damage in the same spot?

8. There are no sounds when you pick up ammo or other items (other than guns). You don't know if you picked up any more ammo unless you happen to look at your ammo meter.

9. I've been killed multiple times when fighting in houses by guns sticking out of solid walls - sort of like how the flags sometimes stick out of walls on multiplayer capture the flag in COD2. Clearly a mistake.

10. There are major problems with the online capabilities for people utilizing routers. I've only been able to get into an online match twice out of 20 attempts. I was told by Activision that they are working on a patch which has something to do with the game not working correctly with routers with firewalls built into them.

I really don't mean to be pessimistic, but compared to COD2, this game is a major disappointment. Unless the multiplayer is improved after the patch, I'll be trading in my copy very soon.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
That is disappointing, Scott. I loved Call of Duty 2, so I've been looking forward to this (after spending more time with Gears of War, of course). But I have heard that the style of the game is changed a bit since 2. Hmm... I might have to rethink getting this.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Yikes. I picked up GoW this week rather than this. Guess I made the right decision. But I expect Santa will be bringing me COD3, so I'll be able to make up my own mind. Surprised the reviews were so positive, given this laundry list of issues.

Wouldn't be the first time reviewers overlooked a game's problems. I bought Dead Rising based on positive reviews and gave up on it after a couple of hours - too many unforgivably bad design choices screwed up a promising concept.

--Jefferson Morris

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That's not encouraging. I love CoD2 and have been eagerly awaiting CoD3. For me, CoD2 was damn near perfect except for the lack of land mines and being able to 'throw back' grenades. With CoD3 adding these I was really excited.

Of course I'll get it anyway. :crazy:

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. Granted, I've played only a bit of Call of Duty 3 a short time (a little game called Gears of War has me a bit distracted) but I have yet to run into ANY of the problems you described above. I've actually found the game surprisingly good, and even a step above Call of Duty 2.

But, I'll give it more time and see if I encounter any of the same problems. But...so far so good.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
At first I thought I got a buggy copy, but a friend of mine is running into the same problems. The friendly A.I. popping in and out occurred most often on the chapter where you blow up the silos (don't remember the chapter number). Ah well. I've been told that the multiplayer is good, despite the lack of lobbys.

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
I saw on a gaming board theat COD3 was produced by a different team than COD2 and those teams will alternate each year.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Another problem according to Joystiq.com is that CoD3 is not even running at a 720p high-def resolution. :frowning:

source:
Joystiq

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I ended up picking this up last night (sort of as a break from GOW). Played the first two levels and have to say that... it looks and sounds pretty good on my setup. Definitely better graphically than COD2 (which is saying something). I will have to play more to say how I feel about the gameplay. Certainly a solid start though. :emoji_thumbsup:

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator

I can't dispute that, because...well...I don't know what resolution the game is running, but you could have fooled me. Behind Gears of War, this has got to be one of the most graphically impressive 360 games available. Actually, I'd put it immediately behind Gears. It looks pretty amazing.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
That is correct. Infinity Ward (the creators of the Call of Duty series) handled development of Call of Duty 2. Treyarch, developers of Call of Duty: Big Red One, handled the development of Call of Duty 3.

Inifinity Ward is apparently taking over the development of Call of Duty 4 which is rumored to take place in a modern combat setting and not WWII.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
If true, a welcome change, IMO. Despite the general quality of the series, I doubt I could get very enthused about COD4 if it was once again set during WWII in the European theater.

--Jefferson Morris

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, I've been playing it now for a couple days and out of the list of complaints at the top, the only ones I've noticed are 4, 6, and 10.

4-- The sounds are not nearly as cooked as CoD2. CoD2 was an audio frenzy that made your head spin and really made you feel like you were in the battle. The sounds in CoD3 are toned down- A LOT. Not good.

6-- I agree that there seem to be a lot of small objects that you can't hop over in CoD3. Not a big deal, but definately made me go WTF a couple times.

10-- I'm not sure if the online problem you're having is the same as mine, but when I get a list of sessions up, it seems that about 8 times out of 10 when I try to join a session the screen says ***joining*** for a little bit then comes back and says ***no sessions available***. Strange.

Overall I really like CoD3. It's visually a step up from CoD2. CoD3 looks even more realistic than 2. 3 makes 2 look a little cartoony and sterile. The textures and environments in 3 give it a very dirty and gritty look to it. The only problem I find is that the environment is so textured and detailed it's very hard to see the enemy sometimes.

As for online play, WHY did they screw with the red dots on the compass showing enemy fire. They RARELY show up on the compass now and when they actually do they are so faint and disapear so quickly to be useless.

Also I like to be a sniper in online play and they've changed it and not for the good. Now, as soon as you take a shot with the sniper rifle they immediately drop the scope from the screen. It happens so fast you can't tell if you hit the person unless you see your username confirm the kill. In CoD2 when you fired the sniper rifle you could stay scoped until you needed to reload. In CoD3 the scope drops EVERY time you fire (and immediately). Sucks. I really do like the ability of the sniper to call in artillery fire. Very cool.

I'd be dissapointed if they took CoD4 outside of WWII. They could keep it in WWII and not have to completely stay in Europe. I've always wondered why not sprinkle in some Japanese/Pacific missions.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i've tried COD3 for an hour or so... i think the graphics are pretty good; a step from COD2. it seems to have 'more going on' whereas COD2 was pretty simple and objects seemed to stick out more, the COD3 picture overall looks more integrated. i don't know if that makes any sense.

anyways, as for difficuly i think i might be playing this game wrong cuz i'm getting killed do often!!!! i don't think i'm a particulary bad player; i've finished GOW on hardcaore and am halfway through insane, but in COD3 it seems in some areas i just got to hug the ground and crawl around, and if i stick my head up i get shot. if i stay down i still get shot. so i pretty much get shot all the time 8) while my fellow soldiers are running around shotting and stuff. dunno...

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I played through CoD2 on Veteran and am playing CoD3 in Veteran also. It is tough, but so much more satisfying than the easier settings.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
yeah i finished COD2 on the hardest level too, and there were many sequences that were very, very hard (many deaths) but at least you could see where they were coming from ;) here it's like streams of bullets coming from all around while you're hugging the gound :)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The only thing that is really pissing me off is nearly every time I try to get into a multiplayer game online it says 'no game sessions available' even though I clearly choose a game with plenty of openings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks