Anyone else curious about buying a new Yamaha AVR in canada?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BobBehr, Oct 26, 2003.

1. BobBehr

BobBehr Auditioning

I live in Michigan about 3 hours from Windsor,Ont.
    I am rather disappointed that the U.S.A RXV 1400/2400
    doesn't have Pro-Logic IIx.But as many of you know the
    Canadian version does.So...if I want to buy what do I
    need to be aware of, such as currency rates, duties,
    warranties,etc. And what if I want to also purchase
    Canadian products ,such as Mirage Omnis,do I still have to
    pay taxes or duties? Thanks, Bob

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

You'll get nabbed with paying the following:

GST, PST = these are taxes and amount to approximately 15%.
    Plus, when it comes to crossing the border to get back home, you'll get stuck paying duties. That is unless you hide the products when you cross the border - which probably isn't such a good idea.

Here's some links:

Currency Calculator:
    Canadian Tax Information

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you do declare it and pay the duty don't you get atleast some of the tax back at the border?

4. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

..... do American's still get charged duty? with all of the free trade agreements, only the taxes have to be paid by Canadians buying US products so I would assume it works both ways.
    And you get one of the Canadian taxes back at the border, but you'd probably have to pay your state's sales tax

5. PaulKoss

PaulKoss Agent

For a Canadian bringing stuff up from the US, there is no duty on most audio equipment - receivers, speakers, cd players. This is because of NAFTA. Maybe the reverse is true for our American friends.

Also Americans who buy here can get back the Provincial Sales Tax (PST - 8%) and Goods and Services Tax (GST - 7%) by filing a claim with the Canadian and Ontario governments. Draw back is you might have to submit the receipt so see if the vendor is willing to give you some sort of extra receipt if you need warrantly work.

6. Phil Levy

Phil Levy Stunt Coordinator

With the exchange rate as it is, and the ridiculous MSRPs in Canada, you'll end up paying probably 50-100% more for the receiver, regardless of tax. For some brands it isn't that bad, for H/K it's absolutely awful ($1200 USD for an HK525 up here), and for Yamaha it is pretty bad though not as bad as H/K.

7. PaulKoss

PaulKoss Agent

"With the exchange rate as it is, and the ridiculous MSRPs in Canada..."

Yes that's right. Canadian vendors have to maintain a service network for a much smaller volume of business so prices are not at all comparable for a lot of equipment. There is also the cost of testing for and meeting different regulatory requirements, etc..

8. Phil Levy

Phil Levy Stunt Coordinator

As far as I can tell, there's also much less competition in the distributor arena too, so prices get inflated at that stage. Again, to rag on H/Ks high prices, AFAIK there is only one Canadian H/K distributor.

9. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Wow. I'm always annoyed that it's too expensive for me to buy from the US and ship to Canada. I'm suprised to see Americans have the same trouble.

What's really sad is that it's cheaper for me to buy in Canada at a higher price than it is to buy from the US and ship it here, while paying duties and brokerage fees.

Jonny K.

10. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

In case anyone is interested, there is a site with specs for many receiver models that in many cases lists both US and Canadian MSRP's and calculates what the effective exchange rate is.

It's pretty interesting, as there is a wide variation in the exchange rates used by many manufacturers' Canadian distributors.

Check it out at
    ValueCanuck.com

11. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

In case anyone is interested, there is a site with specs for many receiver models that lists both US and Canadian MSRP's and calculates what the effective exchange rate is. Its pretty interesting as there is a wide variation in the exchange rates used by many manufacturers' Canadian distributors.

Check it out at
    ValueCanuck.com

12. Muhammed

Muhammed Agent

Right now with the Exchange rate, you're probably better just buying it in the US. Are you certain that the US and Canadian models differ? Almost always they are identical (some even including the Frech manuals required for Canada in the US packaging).

You also may want to look into the duties issue a little more, they may be picky at the border, i'm not sure if the 'no-duty' thing applies to all electronics, or just those made in North America. Then take into account the time/trouble of filling in the forms for the various tax rebates (I bought speakers in Canada a little while ago, the Exchange rate was higher back then, but I never got around to doing the rebates)

If the models really are different, what about warranty work? Will you have to go across the border to have it serviced? Also keep in mind that if you buy it online from an out-of-state retailer, in addition to any discounts they have, you'll also save your local state tax.

Also Jeff's post above is interesting. Some retailers subsidize products for the Canadian market (when you work it out with the Exchange rate, it's much cheaper in Canada) while others use the full Exchange rate. If Yamaha is one of the retailers that subsidize Canadian prices, then it might make sense to buy it up North.

13. Keith J

Keith J Stunt Coordinator

Yahama does not subsidize it at the full exchange rate.