What's new

Anyone else clearing out their SD-DVDs? (2 Viewers)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Sure, I agree. I just meant that it´s best to get that actual 1080p-set first, since I don´t really see the point of buying 50 Blu-ray-titles and watch them via scart (well, I don´t think you can..) and 480p. I mean HDMI is best option for 480p ALSO.

And while hardware changes, 1080p does´t change in overnight.

I would..

a) Get the 1080p LCD/plasma/projector/etc, WITH HDMI.
b) Get the Blu-ray player with HDMI and quality upscaling (e.g. PS3, but I´m sure that others are coming)
c) Start enjoying BOTH Blu-ray and SD DVD.

It´s that simple. ;)

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Depends on the software. I'm absolutely relaxed in investing my money on Paramount's recently reduced Star Trek: Voyager and Enterprise sets because, by all accounts, those things are going to be a LONG time coming to HD. And when they do they'll probably be altered.

And I'm absolutely happy with my last seven Doctor Who purchases. And The Equalizer season 1. And The Don Is Dead. And Lillies Of The Field. And Pet Semetary. And The Serpent And The Rainbow. I'm dropping about $200 a month on SD-DVD and will continue to do so even, I suspect, when I finally get BD!

As I've continually said, I invest in movies, not in software. If the way to get those movies is 480p then so be it!

Sure I also just bought 2001 special edition and The Brave One. But who cares? I'll just upgrade at some point, no biggie!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

John are you raining on our parade man? We care, if you dont, thats cool. Thats why we have the HD section, and the SD section. I am glad for you, and your 480P :)
You dont have to join us, enjoy what you have, and i promise we dont think less. But we like what we have, and its a VERY sweet way to watch MOVIES! Killer surround, the ability to have a nice image on a big home screen. Whats not to like. Its almost better than the movies. In many ways it IS better than the movies. But just because your not into HD, dont ruin it for someone who is, or might be looking into Blu-ray!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

sure, if you have money to burn, feel free. For most of us, we can't afford to just re-buy the same title over and over again and again... so given the choice to buy it once in 1080p or twice in 480p then 1080, it saves money to get the 1080p the first time around.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I guess this is the main point that people are trying to tell John. I mean if there´s that Blu-ray 1080p-release available, I´m not sure that is it that wise to keep spending money to SD DVD-releases (in those cases where that HD-version is also available) IF the plan is to get that Blu-ray player in the near future anyway..

But hey, it´s not my money! :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's my plan. I'll be picking up a PS3 in the next couple of months and I plan on buying No Country For Old Men, Walk Hard and Juno on Blu Ray and just waiting to see the discs until I get a PS3. If I 'had' to see the movies again right away, I'd rent the SD version. Also, I still plan on buying the SD releases of Lost Highway, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie and others because I don't really see those coming to Blu Ray anytime soon.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Simple really. I want to have - and watch - the movie now. I don't want to wait another - potentially - 12 months until multi-region is proven to work - and I have a HD display etc. etc.

And the number of SD releases I've bought AFTER the BD title was announced is - let's see - 4. And one of those was the Robocop SE which I would have bought on SD anyway cos the BD is typically short on extras!

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Oops you're right! Sorry! Must have gotten carried away by the SD-DVD in the header. Oh well.

There's no rule to say you MUST have HD to post in the HD forum.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
My roommate and I cleared out most of ours after the Warners announcement and we bought PS3's. I kept ones that I watch a lot (Firefly) and ones that probably won't have HD versions for quite awhile, but it was a nice way to clear out of lot of those 2 for 20 deals where you buy a movie that you kind of like but never watch.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

I'm surprised there isn't kind of an "anamorphic" squeeze as part of either of the standards, rather than wasting all of that space on black bars. I suppose in this day and age of predominantly digital displays with fixed resolution panels it doesn't make as much difference though.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sean,

with front projection on the rise, constant-height (anamorhpic) 1080p encoding would have had a fantastic venue to show off its benefits. Lots of FP videophiles use anamorphic lens configurations and scalers to project on native 2.35:1 screens.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm taking it on a case-by-case basis but am for the most part getting the HDMs of everything I had on SD DVD. If I'm not selling the SD DVD and thereby not offsetting the cost of the HDM, then it gets deprioritized a little depending on the movie.

Some examples are when the HDM doesn't include all the supps of a very good/reference standard SD DVD (I'll eventually get the The Rock BD but am hanging onto the Crit; am procrastinating on Black Hawk Down BD since there's an Extended Cut on SD DVD only that I bet Sony will re-release on BD; kept my Director's Tears Of the Sun SD DVD but sold the theatrical when I bought the BD; same drill with the Extended Crimson Tide and Enemy Of the State: kept those but sold the original non-anamorphs when I bought the BDs).

Hey David, what about all those supps on the Dances SE--the longer cut, the "The Creation Of An Epic" docu, two commentaries, poster gallery and especially the wonderful 9-minute photo montage of production and promotional photography set to score, et al.? Especially given Fox' track record, you're not concerned about some of that content not getting ported over?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Fox deserves a big-ole' bitch-slap on dropping special features on BD releases.

No arguement here.

I've berated them at length over at blu.com.

However, even bare-bones, I'll trade a DVD SE for a 1080p lossless-audio HD copy any day. And I'll keep the DVD if the SE material is that important to me.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I wasn't re-engaging the debate on ported supps--that's something you and I can agree on I think. ;)

My point was just that you said Dances WAS such a DVD. I thought it meant you'd already sold your SE. So you'll have to buy it back if Fox doesn't respond to our bitch slaps. ;)

I'm looking at my (not very large) SD DVD and (fairly large) CD collections these days and wondering if I should be selling while the selling's good. Probably moreso for the CDs than the DVDs but even with the DVDs, I'm getting the sense that if I wait for procrastinators like Paramount to release on HDM, the after market for the DVD will have further withered if not evaporated.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I did already sell that (last week) because I know that I won't want to watch it again until it's in high-def. I can live without the sups, so I'll survive even with a bare-bones disc (though it won't stop me from bitch-slapping the studio if they drop the ball on the bonus material). BTW, isn't that one an MGM title?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah, it's MGM (distribbed by Fox; MGM-distribbed-Fox has some crappy movie-only precedents for catalog titles: Hoosiers, Usual Suspects, Robocop, Rocky).

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Only bonus material that concerns me is alternate cuts. I'm still sickened every time I think about Payback. The theatrical release version with Kris Kristofferson was so much better than that bullshit they ended up releasing in hi-def.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks